CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Need to Get Rid of Some Power Entry Modules (2EDL1SC) Corcom   Next in Forum: Battery-Free Cell Phone
Close
Close
Close
16 comments
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 622

Failure Du Jour

07/10/2017 6:39 AM

Just had to buy a new tyre compressor, the old one had already had the switch removed as it had failed open circuit.
Now the casting failed, there are two small webs in the casting that come to an abrupt end to make room for a raised boss on the steel gear.
Yes that's a good idea lets weaken to casing to make room for the stronger steel part .
The new one is pretty much the same internally but it's in a big red shiny outer casing with a huge pressure gauge so it must be better .
Del

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 313

Re: Failure Du Jour

07/10/2017 7:02 AM

It they usually just strengthen the part and just moved the problem down steam.

Even though these compressors are not made to continued use,... you do like to have something that's reliable.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 689

07/10/2017 7:16 AM

07/10/2017 7:21 AM

It only got occasional use, mind it was used for fairly high pressure on wheelchair tyres.
Failed at 80PSI but you'd think it should be able to stand up to the pressure that it can deliver.
problem with stuff these days, you can't see what's inside it beneath the glossy flim flam.
Most stuff is a triumph of presentation over content.
Del

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 313
In reply to #3

07/10/2017 7:44 AM

So,... 'Buyer beware of items that come in pretty packages'... probably sound better in Latin.

Lets open 'er up and see what's inside.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.

07/10/2017 7:39 AM

"Not fit for purpose" - there is redress available in the UK under the provisions of the Sale of Goods Act 1979. Worth a try?

In reply to #4

07/10/2017 7:53 AM

Not worth the effort, it's prob lasted 4 years, which by today's standards is good. By the standards of the 1900s it's pathetic.
I'll bet your steam powered one is still going strong
I use Toolstation a lot as they are V good with their returns policy....
Del

In reply to #6

07/10/2017 8:30 AM

Yep!

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 755

07/10/2017 8:59 AM

The recycling industry needs more raw materials!

Guru

Good Answers: 1028

07/10/2017 11:08 AM

You get what you pay for....

In reply to #9

07/10/2017 4:45 PM

It's rare to see two simultaneous occurrences of the greengrocer's apostrophe.

Good Answers: 222
In reply to #11

07/11/2017 4:57 AM

How do you know they're not talking about the tyres therefor.

Good Answers: 131
In reply to #12

07/11/2017 8:53 AM

possession pronoun: Satan's.

Good thing there is not more than one. ROFLMAO.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 755
In reply to #13

07/11/2017 9:06 AM

Just because you have never seen more than one at a time doesn't mean there is only one.

In reply to #15

07/11/2017 9:17 AM

There may be subservient ones (are you one? just kidding...), but there can only be one Lucifer. Just as there can be only one Highlander.

There can be only one Dracula, although there may be many portraying as Dracula.

Do not be fooled, there is only one master evil force at work within the Universe, just as there is only one Supreme Being above all (blessed be, and the only to be worshiped).

All the blessings we enjoy on earth come from a loving and caring God. Of course, we humans get to help stir the batter for the "cookies" on occasion.

07/10/2017 2:07 PM

I don't buy air compressors from:

Harbor Freight, although their larger ones are somewhat interesting.

Costco, but I would not buy ice cream from there either.

I usually buy tools from Texas Tool here in Lubbock, or the like. You can trust the local guys, mostly have American goods, not knock off Chinese crap.

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 57

07/11/2017 9:01 AM

I am surprised to see that one of Her Majesty's subjects used a French term.

I work with the French nearly daily, as we have a partnership with a French company that does nearly the same thing we do. Being that it is Tour de France time, if I ever mention your wonderful cycling team Sky to one of them, they get noticeably upset and quickly refer to FDJ or AG2R team riders. They obviously have no love for your side of the channel.

Since we Americans have almost no representation in the Tour, save for Trek, which has no American riders on the team, and Cannondale, which is actually more Chinese than American anymore, with three very weak American riders, I revel in annoying them with remarks about Chris Froome and Geraint Thomas.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Del the cat (2); James Stewart (3); phoenix911 (2); Phys (1); PWSlack (4); Randall (1); redfred (2); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: Need to Get Rid of Some Power Entry Modules (2EDL1SC) Corcom   Next in Forum: Battery-Free Cell Phone

Advertisement