CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Pressure and Temperature Rating Differences for Gas and Fluid in Copper Pipe?   Next in Forum: Vacation Destinations for Engineers
Close
Close
Close
16 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 20

Cooling Technology

07/13/2017 1:02 PM

Several questions for the Engineers and those in direct or related industries:

A. What is the trade or technical name for the " nano material " employed in a, Evapolar ? and can this material be purchased from a third part supplier ? ( name, location ).

B. What is the best possible pulse width modulation ( speed ? ) to minimize the solder and mechanical degradation in and when using a peltier module ?

C. Any information on Websites, white papers, pdf files, government or private groups doing research on using peltier modules in liquid heat exchangers ?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 143

Re: Cooling Technology

07/13/2017 2:02 PM

A. This is basically a small swamp cooler. Bad idea when totally indoors.

B. IHNI - sorry

C. LMGTFY - Let me Google that for you.... you know what to do next.

In reply to #1

07/13/2017 3:40 PM

James,

Evapolar claims it's the world's first micro air conditioner. On their website they repeatedly mention how bad cellulose pads are and that led to their decision to use " nano material " ( borrowed from Russian military technology )

The PWM came from cool@tetech.com website. In the FAQ section they explain this but don't show an example of an application or links to more information.

Yes, I have googled these and others but I thought I would get some ideas from those who might have a spoon in the pot.

Thanks for taking time out from golfing, chopping up wood or rounding up little doggies.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #3

07/13/2017 4:53 PM

They have me on the work-go-round from now on, less time, more filling.

Even if this mini-A/C unit is not evaporative, it is either Peltier, or it is VCC cooling, and in any case, even evaporative, the waste heat has to go somewhere.

If it goes to evaporating water (does not matter how the water evaporates or what technology is used to evaporate it) no such device can lower the temperature even to the wet bulb, and certainly not to the dew point, although close enough for government work even with stupid cellulose pads.

Good Answers: 1086

07/13/2017 3:39 PM
Anonymous Poster #1

07/13/2017 4:25 PM

Ask Mork from Ork--he's all about nano.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #4

07/13/2017 4:27 PM

Or ask a real orca, such as Namu.

Anonymous Poster #1

07/13/2017 4:29 PM

Book him, Nano.

Guru

In reply to #6

07/13/2017 4:56 PM

Sad. NO wonder you wore a bag over your head.

Good Answers: 539

07/13/2017 4:36 PM

When driving a Peltier device, it is best to feed it with a steady current to minimize ohmic heating. The amount of heat pumped is proportional to current, ohmic heating to the square of current. A higher frequency pwm will allow you to use smaller caps to filter it.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #7

07/13/2017 6:17 PM

Rixter:

From what I understand, in reading the information, is that stabilization of the current, sans voltage ripples, is preferred, to have a constant in the pwm. Am I understanding this correctly ?

The idea of a peltier device to cool water using a heat exchanger came from my observation of people putting blocks of ice in to an evaporative cooler water basin to lower the supply / make up water temperature.

I was wondering if anyone was working on peltier device heat exchanger toward this end.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 153
In reply to #11

07/13/2017 7:34 PM

"I was wondering if anyone was working on peltier device heat exchanger toward this end."

I doubt it. Peltiers are power hogs. Extremely inefficient.

Good Answers: 1086
In reply to #12

07/13/2017 9:22 PM

That's the problem they are not efficient, especially when there is a better option that is much more efficient.....

..."Above the cooling capacity range of 100W, the vapor compression based system will be far superior to the thermoelectric systems: ¼ to ½ the weight and volume, and 1/3 to ½ the power consumption compared to the thermoelectric systems."...

http://www.appliancedesign.com/articles/93330-miniature-bldc-rotary-refrigeration-compressors

In reply to #13

07/14/2017 9:03 AM

There is nothing new under the sun, just miniaturization of the larger things under the sun. LOL

In reply to #12

07/14/2017 9:12 AM

What about Super Large Magnetostrictive Effect Devices? I thought this was going to be the "new" thing in refrigeration.

Good Answers: 153

07/13/2017 4:42 PM

A. Never heard of it.

B. This article suggests 300-to-3000 Hz range. It also has a link back to TE Technology Inc. (Normal disclosure - no affiliation) that has a lot of useful information.

C. Besides the info above, you might checkout Tellurex, and other manufacturers. Some of them have some pretty good white papers on their sites.

Good luck

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 57

07/15/2017 10:59 AM

Just guessing, but I suspect that the maximum life of a TE cooler will be obtained when it is driven by an analog signal slower than a thermal time constant of the cooler. When faster response times are required, we tend to use JT coolers.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 16 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (3); James Stewart (5); Kilowatt0 (2); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (2); tonyhemet (2); welderman (1)

Previous in Forum: Pressure and Temperature Rating Differences for Gas and Fluid in Copper Pipe?   Next in Forum: Vacation Destinations for Engineers

Advertisement