CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Vacation Destinations for Engineers   Next in Forum: Jupiter's Evolution
Close
Close
Close
3 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 1037

It's Alive

07/14/2017 1:03 PM

"Researchers in Europe have created a soft artificial heart that mimics the real thing. It’s still not ready for prime time, but the approach, in which the developers used silicone and 3D-printing, could revolutionize the way patients with heart disease are treated.

Patients with severe cardiovascular problems are typically hooked up to blood pumps while they wait for a donor organ or for their own heart to recover. But these machines have many disadvantages, including the possibility of mechanical breakdown, producing infections, and the formation of blood clots, to name a few. What’s needed in the interim is a device that more closely resembles the real thing, and that’s exactly what a research team led by Nicholas Cohrs from ETH Zurich has done."

http://gizmodo.com/this-squishy-artificial-heart-is-amazing-1796917098

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 133

Re: It's Alive

07/14/2017 2:00 PM

45-60 minutes is not disheartening to the researchers, or to me either. I will happily keep mine until it stops beating.

It just shows us all once again, the hand of the Creative Force in the Universe (God to me), that can engineer something as steady as the human heart, with the power to endure its own beating action for many decades, or even a century in some cases.

Good Answers: 513
In reply to #1

07/15/2017 10:23 AM

One day, hopefully, they'll be able to grow a new heart from the patient's own stem cells.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 133
In reply to #2

07/17/2017 9:31 AM

One of my friends has a new stem cell therapy drug for spinal cord injury patients. The initial trials went favorably with restoration dependent on elapsed time before the transcutaneous treatment with stem cell suspension (from the same patient).

FDA has now declared his formulation to be a "new" drug, and thus has ordered all domestic (U.S.) distribution to cease, until such time as Clinical trials Phase I, II, and III are completed. This requires a cost of approximately $40MM at the present time.

Anyone want to volunteer to finance that? I did not think so.

This is the reason why Big Pharma owns all the drugs entering the market, and to be honest, I suspect they are interested in profit potential far more than how many lives can be saved, restored, healed, etc. This is just one small reason why health care insurance costs so much in the USA, and why insurance is no guarantee of receiving good treatment that is efficacious. The idea seems to be to get patients on long term therapies that may or may not do them any good.

I understand that this "new" drug is still allowed to be exported overseas or otherwise out of country, depending on the laws in the receiving nation.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!

Previous in Forum: Vacation Destinations for Engineers   Next in Forum: Jupiter's Evolution

Advertisement