CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Looking for a Better Metal or Alloy for School Project   Next in Forum: Biomass Developing Issues in Sewage Treatment
Close
Close
Close
22 comments
Power-User

Which Type of Chemical Should I Use to Remove Double-Sided Adhesive Tape?

07/19/2017 7:13 AM

Hi;

At our Corrugator machine, operators use double sided adhesive tape to splice the paper. Some pieces of this tape also stick with machine or with panels which doesn’t remove even with thinner. Can any one guide me on which kind of chemical is suitable to remove the adhesive tape which should not be harmful for human.

Normally we use "Astonish Grease Off Spray Wipe" to clean the machines but it doesn't remove the adhesive tape.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 770

Re: Which type of chemical should I use to remove double side adhesive tap

07/19/2017 7:36 AM

Try using a hot air gun to heat it up then scrape it off.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 11

07/19/2017 8:02 AM

I would first research the manufacturer of the tape to find out what kind of adhesive you are dealing with, and get their recommendation of a solvent to remove it.

A few suggestions that have worked for me: 1)Layout Fluid Remover. Used at any tool or metal fabrication shop. 2) Carburetor Cleaner, available at any auto parts store. 3) Brake Cleaner, also available at any auto parts store.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 147
In reply to #2

07/19/2017 1:43 PM

Those are great solvents, and all have a list of hazardous chemical organic solvent ingredients. Try something Limonene based first, as this is less hazardous (still a hazard, see SDS).

Good Answers: 58

07/19/2017 8:05 AM

Most powerful organic solvents are either highly flammable, or toxic, or both. Ethyl acetate and acetone are both very good solvents and commonly used - both flammable and volatile, but not specially toxic. Carbon tetrachloride and trichloroethylene are both powerful solvents, non-flammable, but toxic. You might also investigate butyl acetate (less volatile), toluene, xylene, tetrahydrofuran and methyl ethyl ketone - none of which are specially toxic if used in a well ventilated area.

Some information on the chemical structure on the adhesive used on the tape would be useful.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 452

07/19/2017 9:04 AM

Could try this: <link>.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #4

07/19/2017 1:45 PM

Interesting link, and the associated product shown below in that same page.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 329

07/19/2017 9:08 AM

find out what type of tape.

When I managed the CNC Router (Machine tool) shop at the ship yard, I used 12" 3M double sided tape as a holding fixture for machining intricate items..

to get the tape to release off, we'd soaked it in solvent over night... it helped, I'm sure there are better, but I don't recall the solvent but call your supplier of your tape.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 699

Re: Which type of chemical should I use to remove double sided adhesive tape

07/19/2017 9:53 AM

WD40 (usual disclaimer)?

Good Answers: 1102

Re: Which type of chemical should I use to remove double sided adhesive tape

07/19/2017 10:15 AM

Re: Which Type of Chemical Should I Use to Remove Double Sided Adhesive Tape

07/19/2017 11:44 AM

Hello,

I think the most sound way would be to find the brand of the tape and the materials used in it. You can contact the manufacturer and inquire from them as well as far as what works best to get it removed. There are some good ideas provided here and most likely will work well to just remove it but going that route can cause some extra headaches and waste of time if it does not work out. So by contacting them you can get to the bottom of it right away! Best of luck

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 204

07/19/2017 12:02 PM

This has worked for me in the past, on stubborn adhesive residue.

In reply to #9

07/19/2017 1:49 PM

Chemical Name

CAS Number

Wt %

Petroleum distillates, hydrotreated light, 64742-47-8, 60-100%

D-Limonene, 5989-27-5, 1-5%

Orange, sweet, extract, 8028-48-6, 0.5-1.5%

The exact percentage (concentration) of composition has been withheld as a trade secret in accordance with paragraph (i) of §1910.1200.

This covers most all the bases when it comes to typical adhesive solvents related to various adhesive tapes.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 616

07/19/2017 12:05 PM

Start with the simplest solvent first: Isopropyl alcohol, also known as isopropynol. I wasted an hour once trying to remove tape residue first with mineral spirits and then with acetone, before I found that regular isopropyl alcohol removed it easily.

Then if isopropyl alcohol doesn't work try a citrus-oil based solvent, then mineral spirits, and then acetone.

I list these solvents in terms of availability to most people (at least, here in the US). Once you've run through the solvents readily available, call the manufacturer. Calling a manufacturer can be very time-wasting, trying to track down the right person, so do that after you've tried the quick and easy things first.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 51

07/19/2017 1:41 PM

WD-40 works on removing most all adhesives and is plastic safe. It has a light solvent that penetrates and it carries the oil component with it which will help to loosen and partially dissolve the adhesive and the oil helps to keep the adhesive from re-attaching. sometimes you need several applications and a bit of elbow grease to get the job done but I have had great results!

I only recommend this product because I have used it to remove some really stubborn price tags from many different surfaces, including a vintage paper record album cover which the store had applied directly in the front and center of the cover.

Usual disclaimers!

07/19/2017 1:41 PM

Goo-Gone is great for most gum-based adhesives, but time-temperature product is important relative to this removal.

Steel, as in ribbons of steel with a precisely beveled edge, known as razor blades also are fairly good, but care must be taken to not scratch the platens and rollers, and thereby create an additional problem that did not exist before. Consult the OEM operator's manual for further details and warranty information.

Good Answers: 1

07/19/2017 10:23 PM

The foam double tape is horrible to remove.

Naptha works best for me - you could find it as Ronsonol.

Next time find a double tape that removes cleanly - they do exist. Try 3M etc.

In reply to #16

07/19/2017 10:28 PM

Actually I mean light naptha - the regular stuff is a bit on the nose -

Some Ronsonol is light, some regular - seems to depend on the country.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 229
In reply to #17

07/20/2017 2:00 PM

Good answer. I found naptha works great on the nasty adhesive they use for duct tape. Isopropanol would barely touch it, same with the citrus based solvents. The naptha was also good for cleaning up the rubber based lap sealant (Dicor brand) used on RV roofs, etc.

All the good stuff is 'dangerous' to humans . . . . (I read the directions)

Register to Reply
Power-User

07/20/2017 5:57 AM

We use "Eurobrand" DT-01 adhesive taps. I am going to talk with OEM about required chemical.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 699
In reply to #18

07/20/2017 10:18 AM

That approach would be preferable to collecting WAGs from this forum!

07/20/2017 9:17 AM

I'm sure you can find something from the list that will remove the adhesive, but I suggest going the next step to prevent it from sticking on those surfaces in the first place. There are sprays like silicone that would make the adhesive less likely to stick, but don't overdo it. Even better would be to evaluate your process to see if it can be altered so the adhesive doesn't have the opportunity to get to the other surfaces where it is sticking and requiring the cleaning.

When I worked with paper machines, the double sided tape was applied to a rubber pad on the splice bar, which spliced the two ends together. There was no transfer of the double sided tape to other parts of the machine when applied correctly. When the adhesive became difficult to get off of the rubber pad, the pad was just replaced.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 38

07/20/2017 10:45 AM

It's unlikely that the adhesive is the main problem. There is a web of material between the adhesive films and the solvent will get off the top adhesive, but not penetrate the web to the adhesive underneath.

I'd second the suggestion for the hot air gun to allow scraping of the web with a hardwood or hard, hi-temp plastic scraper or a sharp putty knife if the material underneath the tape will tolerate it, followed by an appropriate solvent, such as WD40.

Otherwise, take a paper shop towel saturated with solvent and let it sit on the tape as long as it takes to work in around the edges of the web and get to the adhesive underneath.

Most tape adhesives have a fairly low creep strength and if you can lift a corner of the tape and pull just hard enough to not break the web, you can SLOOOWLY peel the tape from one end to the other. My wife has never figured this out, so I get the task of peeling tapes and labels from whatever. It takes patience and time, but if you have it, it makes for a clean removal job.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 22 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

AverageJoe (1); Brave Sir Robin (1); energyconversion (1); GTHusker (1); James Stewart (4); JohnDG (1); Jpfalt (1); JPool (1); Original_Macgyver (1); phoenix911 (1); Pooya Khodadadi (1); PWSlack (2); Signode (1); SolarEagle (1); Stuart21 (2); tcmtech (1); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: Looking for a Better Metal or Alloy for School Project   Next in Forum: Biomass Developing Issues in Sewage Treatment

Advertisement