CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: What is the Right Approach to Analyze the Benefit of Retrofitting Unsupported PLC?   Next in Forum: Need Advice as a New Instrument Technician
Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Active Contributor

Transmitter with Transient Protector

07/22/2017 5:38 AM

Hello,

Some times there is an optional order code found while selecting transmitter for process instruments:With transient protection/or with out transient protection.Is there any consideration for selecting electronic circuit/transmitter with or without this option?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 1141

Re: Transmitter with Transient Protector

07/22/2017 11:13 AM

Well I think you would need protection from transient voltages in almost any application except perhaps where you had an engineered alternative system already in place...

https://www.pepperl-fuchs.com/global/en/classid_266.htm

http://www.emerson.com/documents/automation/87540.pdf

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting ["brexit" - ugh] as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 703

07/22/2017 2:24 PM

Yes, and it will be found in the selection protocols determined by the organisation in question. None of those can be seen from here.

Power-User

Good Answers: 55

07/22/2017 3:36 PM

Based on a half dozen experiences with near-lightning strikes to instrumentation, I find that transmitters located outdoors in areas frequented by lightning are those that need surge protection. In only two cases did the transmitters have surge protection. In the one case, the surge protection blew up but saved the transmitter electronics, in the other case the transmitter was damaged beyond repair. In the other four cases, transmitters had no surge protection and the electronics were destroyed, presumably by a near lightning strike.

I work in a area where spring summer and fall have common thunder lightning storms, and lightning in the winter tends to be rare, but not unknown.

I'm sure that somewhere in the world, there are locations that rarely, if ever, get lightning.

I routinely use two RS-485 isolators on Modbus RTU RS-485 network comm lines

a. to protect the master from an electrical fault or lightning affecting the 485 network

b. to isolate and protect half the devices on a multidrop network, in case of an electrical fault or lightning affecting the 485 network.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Power-User

Good Answers: 8

07/23/2017 8:48 AM

You must have a transient protector.

If you do not have it, buy the device with it. If you already have a transient protector, then buy the device without it.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155

07/24/2017 12:22 PM

Yes, there is a strong consideration. I would order using the transient protection code. It will not hurt to have it on top of other transient protection that might be on the supply wiring circuit. On the other hand, if none exists "out there", and you order without protection, you are putting a lamb out with the wolves.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Carl_E (1); Ivanov327950 (1); James Stewart (1); PWSlack (1); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: What is the Right Approach to Analyze the Benefit of Retrofitting Unsupported PLC?   Next in Forum: Need Advice as a New Instrument Technician

Advertisement