CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Importing Artisan Chandeliers from S. Africa to US   Next in Forum: Calculation of Connected Load
Close
Close
Close
28 comments
Participant

Distribution Transformer In Front of my House

08/03/2017 6:34 AM

This is the monstrosity accross the street infront of my house

I bought 120squar yard house last year. At that time there was no transformer across the road. But now power corporation have put 11KV distribution transformer right across my streed. There is ony 4meter distance between my front gate and distribution transformer. So iam scared for the Electro Megnetic Feild that transformer is emitting. I used mobile app to measure the field it shows 450uT. So is it safe.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 695

Re: Distribution Transformer Infront of my House

08/03/2017 7:01 AM

Was there a question or is this just an unconstrained rant?

In reply to #1

08/03/2017 7:15 AM

Yes is the emf coming out of this transformer safe or not

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 695
In reply to #2

08/03/2017 7:48 AM

<...emf...>:

• <...measure the field it shows 450uT. So is it safe....> There will be only a magnetic emission, and not an electrical one, from equipment that is correctly installed and maintained. That figure is between 18 and 7 times the earth's magnetic field strength, depending on where one measures it, and magnetic resonance imaging in medical investigation, for example, takes place at up to 2000 times the figure with nothing much reported in the way of ill effects (personal experience included in that assessment).
  • An electrical discharge to the body from that equipment at 11kV would be unsafe, and half a day out with the Undertaker would be among the possible outcomes, assuming there was enough remaining body material found after the discharge to be processed by that profession!

Good Answers: 522

08/03/2017 9:03 AM

I think the answer is that no one really knows.

There have been studies that have shown a correlation between power line emf and all sorts of things. The problem with studies is that those that show a correlation get published and those that show nothing don't. And correlation doesn't always imply causation.

As far as I know, there is no known physical cause and effect between magnetic fields at power line frequencies and illness such as there is with XRays (ionization) or microwaves (heating).

Various agencies have set limits (less than your measured 45 mG) for safe limits, possibly erring on the side of caution.

http://www.emfs.info/limits/

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 447
In reply to #4

08/03/2017 9:34 AM

Online converters seem to concur in converting 450μT to 4.5G (4500mG).

In reply to #5

08/03/2017 12:51 PM

Yup, you're right, sorry about that.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 319

08/03/2017 11:31 AM

comes down to

"Eminent Domain. The power to take private property for public use by a state, municipality, or private person or corporation authorized to exercise functions of public character, following the payment of just compensation to the owner of that property."

And that includes neighbors property.

just be happy its not a halfway house for illegal immigrants.

Good Answers: 136
In reply to #6

08/03/2017 2:03 PM

"...just be happy its not a halfway house for illegal immigrants"

Including the really beeg ones with tentacles? Actually, there are only eight, so how can there be ten-tacles. More like oct-tacles from where I stand sit.

Good Answers: 760

08/03/2017 11:31 AM

You're gonna die from something else first. I'll put my money on it being something self inflicted due to your own paranoia and ignorance joining forces against you.

If not, it Looks pretty sunny in the picture so the odds are sunburns gonna get you before the transformer will at minimum.

Mostly I just think you don't like the looks of those transformer in front of your house and want a pseudo legitimate excuse to make a fuss about them to someone.

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Location: California, USA, where the Godless live next door to God.
Good Answers: 722

08/03/2017 11:37 AM

Do you want electricity in your house? If so, transformers and distribution lines must go somewhere. If you say no, and everyone in your town says no, where are they going to put it?

Look, if EM fields were as bad as people keep saying, then don't you think that utility workers, transformer / motor manufacturers (where they test all day long), electricians etc. would exhibit a much higher degree of the purported problems caused by EM fields? The facts are, there have been several studies of industry personnel who face MANY TIMES the average exposure you can get from something like this, with no significant increase in problems above the normal background incident levels. But as mentioned, those studies don't sell newspapers, pull in TV viewers, or act as click-bait on web sites.

Good Answers: 5

08/03/2017 12:24 PM

According to the recommendation 1999/519/EC, the Reference levels for electric, magnetic and electromagnetic fields (0 Hz to 300 GHz, unperturbed rms values) would be about 100uT at 50Hz.

Similar codes could be available for your location. However, I doubt you will be of any use for you.

Good Answers: 1058

08/03/2017 12:29 PM

Could be very exciting if the transformer blows up.....otherwise just an eyesore....I would contact a lawyer and sue for the loss of value associated with this situation...then move....

Good Answers: 103

08/03/2017 1:01 PM

Was the 450 uT measured at the transformer? As you walk toward your house can you still measure the field from the transformer?

It would be interesting to know the magnetic field values at various places inside your house. One of the places would be sitting next to your computer with that computer power supply probably a foot or so away.

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 610

08/03/2017 1:59 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hormesis

It might actually be beneficial.

Better be careful not to back into that thing when you are pulling out tonight, or in the morning!

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 319
In reply to #14

08/03/2017 2:02 PM

I know a few ISIS squirrels that deal with these problems...

Good Answers: 224

"So i am scared for the Electro Megnetic Field that transformer is emitting. So is it safe?"

I can't find the specific Douglas Adams quote, but, it's something like:-

"It's safe! It's us I'm worried about."

Seriously though: you have nothing to worry about from the EFM. But I'd have thought that the eyesore was worth at least some compensation.

In reply to #15

08/04/2017 2:42 AM

I have measured emf inside my living room which is 7 meter away from transformer at that place emf was 450uT and 10 meter away on the street it was 440uT and 30 meter away it was 460ut.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 84
In reply to #21

08/04/2017 7:07 AM

Magnetic Field falls off rapidly from transformers, at least quartering for each doubling of distance.

The negligible reduction with distance makes me suspect the major field is from the overhead power line & that, though you may be 30m down street, you are not much further from power line. Or even that you are not measuring an AC field.

Even for power line, field falls rapidly with distance.

The transfo/power line field varies at mains frequency, 50 Hz, is your number peak, mean or what?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #18

08/03/2017 4:04 PM

Heck I work near quite a few transformers in our switch yard, and heck, look at me.

What's wrong with this picture? (no picture)....I just look old and tired, because I am.

08/03/2017 5:13 PM

Just out of curiosity I installed an EMF detector app on my phone. It's reading about 46 μT (.46G), which is about the geomagnetic field which, of course, is a DC field. So, are you reading DC field or AC.

If you're out by your front gate, the earth's field could be stronger if it's a steel fence and is concentrating the field. The transformer may have nothing to do with it. Also, before using the app, you need to twirl your phone in all three planes to allow the hall effect sensor in the phone to self-calibrate to get an accurate reading.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 229

08/04/2017 11:42 AM

That is certainly an eyesore and whether it actually has any medical repercussions (dubious) it will likely have a negative impact on the resale and current estimated value of your house. It seems to detract from your enjoyment. You might want to talk to an attorney.

Now onto a seemingly more pressing subject:

WHAT IS GOING ON IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD!?!

Is it raining bricks and concrete blocks?

Are you living in Aleppo?

That seems lime a far more urgeny matter than nonionizing EM radiation.

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 60

08/05/2017 12:12 PM
Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 413
In reply to #24

08/06/2017 12:08 PM

Ref 1 is from a site that sells field strength meters and references an article for pulsed/modulated fields, neither of which is relevant for 50/60Hz fields.

Ref. 2 same site, same nonsense, no scientific references.

Ref. 3 concludes "...No data relevant to the carcinogenicity of static electric or magnetic fields and extremely low-frequency electric fields in experimental animals were available...". NB- the latest refereed scientific articles support the view that more study is required of 50/60Hz fields, while pointing out that our modern "toys"; i.e., cellphones, routers, and wifi expose us to much radiation than power lines do.

Ref. 4 applies to 3000Hz and above

Ref. 5 is from a blogger who often copies information without attribution and edits it as proof, none of the studies cited are from refereed articles.

Good Answers: 63

08/05/2017 9:03 PM

I can't say I've seen too many transformers that are hidden by decorative covers. But I have seen them. You may want to seek out examples of such in your own area. Perhaps you can submit a request for similar decorative cladding or propose something as simple as a wood fence panel between your home and the transformer. Out of sight out of mind.

Good Answers: 229
In reply to #25

08/05/2017 9:54 PM

Maybe some of those readily available bricks could be put to good use in forming a barrier.

Good Answers: 760

Re: Distribution Transformer In Front of my House

08/09/2017 5:14 PM

Ever do any testing anywhere else you frequent?

Your workplace?

Stores?

Whatever transportation you use as it travels its route?

Elsewhere?

If so what are their min and max numbers and if not, Why?

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 28 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

67model (1); BruceFlorida (1); dhayanandhan (1); Ivanov327950 (1); James Stewart (3); JE in Chicago (1); JohnDG (1); JRaef (1); lyn (1); phoenix911 (2); PWSlack (2); RAMConsult (1); Randall (1); Rixter (3); SolarEagle (1); tcmtech (2); truth is not a compromise (2); Usbport (1); xxx90100 (2)

Previous in Forum: Importing Artisan Chandeliers from S. Africa to US   Next in Forum: Calculation of Connected Load

Advertisement