CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Strong Chemical Smell   Next in Forum: Tesla: Great Theoretical Products
Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 699

The Great American Eclipse - 21st August 2017

08/03/2017 9:39 AM
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 84

Re: The Great American Eclipse - 21st August 2017

08/03/2017 2:02 PM

And here's a handy reference to gauge just how much of the eclipse you'll see, depending on your zip code.

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 748

08/03/2017 4:28 PM

That's a nice set of graphics. I live about 150 miles north of the center of the totality band and plan on a day trip to see the eclipse.

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 174
In reply to #2

08/03/2017 5:33 PM

Exactly! I just have a little farther to go than you do. I'm going to hit a parking lot somewhere around Madras about 9:30, set up my video & wait.

Going to be awesome!

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

In reply to #3

08/03/2017 5:41 PM

Robin and I will be heading south on 395 to a few miles short of the tiny town of John Day. We hope the weather is good and the traffic not too bad.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.

08/07/2017 5:29 AM

It would be good to know that a few CR4 subscribers have met each other in the totality zone.

In reply to #5

08/08/2017 3:45 AM

I've met two other CR4 members in person--some good dinners--but I don't yet know if the eclipse will result in more. If anybody gets to Richland by 0500, we still have room in the car....

08/08/2017 3:13 AM

Norris, South Carolina, looks a good place to watch.

08/08/2017 6:19 AM

08/21/2017 11:41 PM

A follow-up:

Robin and I had a great eclipse trip. We packed a picnic and drove ~160 miles south with no delays. (The return trip had about an hour of traffic delays, though, which was not bad.) We were just north of the tiny town of Fox, OR.

The eclipse itself was wonderful. Gradual, almost imperceptible, darkening until the last moments before totality. The sudden springing into view of the solar corona at the moment of totality. Some confused birds and cows. The instant and oh-so-brief "diamond ring" effect as the sun first peeked back out.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Mikerho (1); PWSlack (3); sue (1); Tornado (4)

Previous in Forum: Strong Chemical Smell   Next in Forum: Tesla: Great Theoretical Products

Advertisement