CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: The Great American Eclipse - 21st August 2017   Next in Forum: Forces On Supports For An Inclined Panel Under Wind Loading
Close
Close
Close
37 comments
The Engineer
Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Physics... United States - Member - NY Popular Science - Genetics - Organic Chemistry... Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

Good Answers: 128

Tesla: Great Theoretical Products

08/03/2017 1:37 PM

Once again Tesla has come out with a cool product that I would have to get on a waiting list to buy and is just expensive enough to make me hesitate. First it was the Model 3 and now it's these Solar Roofs. They look great and they can significantly reduce your electric bill, and yet they are a bit out of my price range (25,000 for a normal sized roof) and there is limited availability for them.

My frustration is I will need a roof in the next 5 years and if these were more like $15 dollars per square foot rather than $25 I'd be all in, wait list or no. Even at $25 dollars I would consider it because of the lifetime guarantee if I knew for sure 1. Tesla would be around for the next 30 years and 2. There wasn't a long wait list.

In Tesla's defense, it would be bad business to scale without testing the market first, which is what they are doing, but from my perspective as a consumer it's very frustrating seeing things that you would like to buy always seemingly just out of reach.

Here's the story on Solar Tiles that spurred my rant:

https://www.inverse.com/article/35022-elon-musk-tesla-solar-roof-photos-amazing

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 616

Re: Tesla: Great Theoretical Products

08/03/2017 1:50 PM

Use the blonde buying technique:

A window company sends a letter to a blonde saying that if she doesn't pay for the windows she bought, the company will take her to court. They provide a phone number for her to call to make a payment.

The blonde calls the number and asks what all the fuss is about.

The guy on the phone says that she had their company install new windows in her home and she never paid for them.

The blond replies, 'You told me these windows would pay for themselves in a year - and it's been a year.'

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 148

08/03/2017 1:55 PM

Some cities do not allow reverse billing metering of electric power, so where does that leave the buyer of such systems?

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 771
In reply to #2

08/03/2017 2:41 PM

It leaves the consumer with solar charging their Tesla batteries.

Good Answers: 559

08/03/2017 3:10 PM

Early adopters pay for the R&D.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1104

08/03/2017 3:28 PM

Hey if you want something, go for it.....the worst that can happen is you become a cautionary tale...but whatever happens, you'll be 'in-the-know'....

Guru

Good Answers: 69
In reply to #5

08/03/2017 3:56 PM

If I put on solar shingles with as many lump's and gaps as I see in those pictures I would be in trouble with the homeowners.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 748
In reply to #7

08/03/2017 10:54 PM

Counting 12 tiles in from the left, there is what appears to be an upward zigzag of dots or gaps. My guess is that these are gathering points for either 12 or 24 tiles in series, which would set the voltage of the array. Then these series groups would be paralleled to generate the total amperage.

Good Answers: 69
In reply to #16

08/04/2017 7:35 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb and double down. If you look where the man is holding his hand the space above and the area to the right don't appear correct also there are shingles butted directly together at the bottom center and there are gaps between shingles at the top that you can see daylight through at this distance when laying a floor or shingling a roof you need to realize that the area is usually not a perfect rectangle and more of a trapezoid. example. What may measure as 15ft from gutter to Peak at one end of the roof may be 15 feet and 1 inch at the other. .. that's not such a big deal if you know about it and can feather in the difference over the series of courses. I would think that these have been manufactured with a click type edge-to-edge convenience! However the failure is that there is no flexibility allowable during installation this will have to be corrected before I would start a business installing these suckers.

Left parenthesis I hope voice-to-text tookes all of that correctly LOL. Right parentheses LOL

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

In reply to #31

08/04/2017 8:58 PM

Look again at the gaps you're seeing. I believe these thin panels are actually on top of the weather sealing shingles of the original roof.

CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 11

08/03/2017 3:55 PM

I'd wait for Tesla to work the bugs out of the product and for the product components to come down in cost. That roof in the picture really is attractive. Neighbors might not appreciate regular solar panels but no one could complain about this alternative.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 33
In reply to #6

08/07/2017 1:00 PM

Have you ever been "DownLight " of a solar roof? At certain sun angles, the reflection causes heat and glare and is extremely annoying. To have a neighborhood full of glare, at times, would be very uncomforable, at best.

Also, anyone calculate the force of a 3/4 inch, or larger, hailstone, coming in from a large thunderstorm? It doesn't hit flat, but is concentrated in a small point of the sphere, not unlike a women's high heel shoe impacts far more force, on a small area, than her body weight. The hailstones often blow out building windows and car windshields. Have seen it up close.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 11

08/03/2017 4:20 PM

I just thought of something: how well will this roof work when covered with snow? What if you have to rake snow off the roof? Are the tiles themselves hot?

Register to Reply
The Engineer
Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Physics... United States - Member - NY Popular Science - Genetics - Organic Chemistry... Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

Good Answers: 128
In reply to #8

08/03/2017 4:25 PM

From what I've read they are defrosting (like car windsheilds) so no raking should be required. I think you're right, I just need to wait for the price to come down and the technology to improve.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #9

08/03/2017 8:20 PM

What about the eves?

In reply to #13

08/03/2017 10:06 PM

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 174
In reply to #13

08/03/2017 10:47 PM

eaves

In reply to #15

08/04/2017 1:54 AM

icicles

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #17

08/04/2017 6:46 AM

evs!

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 330
In reply to #13

08/04/2017 10:56 AM

I can see this happening if solar shingles have thawing ability to melt the snow. There are probably going to be also selling accessories to these. Such as this;

Yet if you have to cash to put up solar shingles,... you'll have the cash to address those problems as well as other problems dealing with your roof concurrently.

In reply to #23

08/11/2017 3:24 AM

That looks like a fire hazard to me....

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 148
In reply to #8

08/03/2017 5:05 PM

They will naturally absorb some energy (irreversibly), and heat up, but not so much if under deep layer of snow.

Good Answers: 559
In reply to #10

08/03/2017 7:34 PM

Maybe you can use your batteries to melt off the snow, and then charge them up again after the panels are clear...

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 238

08/03/2017 7:26 PM

Theoretical products?

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 699

08/04/2017 3:28 AM

As an investment, solar tiles are a reasonably easy investment to justify on a new-build as one doesn't need their area of regular tiles or slates, so there is a take-out price for that area that makes the return easier. In comparison, they look similar to a slate roof from the ground and that makes them barely noticeable.

Adding solar water heaters or electrical panels on top of an existing roof is not so attractive either financially or aesthetically.

Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 269

08/04/2017 8:37 AM

There are a few companies that have solar shingles. Tesla or SolarCity are not the first. They just made one that looks like a slate shingle.

Good Answers: 22

08/04/2017 10:30 AM

Not to worry, those solar shingles will soon be obsolete, just 10 years ago the panels were 2" thick, then 5 years ago they were 1/2" thick, now they are 1/4" thick. At this rate, they will be soon be as thin as a sheet of mylar. By the time your ready, or the cost has come down, somebody will have invented the longer lasting light bulb so no one will need to install solar panels on their roofs anymore.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 770

08/04/2017 10:34 AM

I find the solar panel roofing concept to be a good idea but so far I have yet to find any manufacturer that rated their panels to take 100 MPH winds plus up to 1" hail and don't have a price tag that is beyond the value of most common houses.

When someone comes out with panel system that meets those physical specs and can hit 1+ watt per square foot average from sun up to sundown on a typical day for ~ $15 or less a square foot I would consider them.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #22

08/04/2017 11:30 AM

100 MPH plus 1" hail 1+ W per square foot for less than $15 per square foot....

Done.

Not sure why you are concerned about $ per square foot. Shouldn't dollar per watt be more to the point?

Good Answers: 770
In reply to #24

08/04/2017 2:05 PM

I see I should have elaborated and said, that also doubles as permanent roofing that has a 20+ year guarantee as well.

And I had a typo on the 1 watt part. It should have read 10 watts.

Peel and stick panels at a theoretical peak 128 watts for ~23 square feet for $175 doesn't cut it as permanent roofing. Plus I don't see a 1" hail rating either.

Register to Reply
Commentator

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #24

08/06/2017 10:56 PM

1" hail? Not adequate where I live.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #33

08/07/2017 3:49 AM

I have no knowledge of any hail rating for the product. I suspect it would be fine. It is a flexible strip glued to the roof, I'd guess it is pretty damage resistant....but it would be juat a guess.

Do you share identical criteria with tcmtech? Is there some criteria standard being adopted?

Good Answers: 1

08/04/2017 12:02 PM

I agree. It really is a genius product, especially because they make it look so nice. Seemed to perform quite well under durability testing, too.

That price tag though... Insurance or not, I'd still be crapping my pants every time there was a storm. Phoenix got a good one yesterday afternoon.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #25

08/04/2017 12:09 PM

That's minor.

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #26

08/04/2017 12:14 PM

Crikey!

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 161
In reply to #26

08/07/2017 1:09 AM

Wow! Where is that? These folks clearly aren't gardeners! Wherever it is, I don't want to go there!

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 330
In reply to #25

08/04/2017 12:15 PM

I'd still be crapping my pants every time there was a storm.

Smells like its gonna rain...

In reply to #25

08/04/2017 12:56 PM

That's why you have insurance.....no worries mate

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Bayes (1); BestInShow (2); C-Mac (1); Conman (2); dkwarner (1); James Stewart (2); JE in Chicago (2); Mikerho (1); ozzb (1); phoenix911 (2); Poison (1); PWSlack (1); redfred (4); Rixter (2); SolarEagle (5); steve45 (1); tcmtech (2); tonyhemet (1); Tornado (1); truth is not a compromise (3); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: The Great American Eclipse - 21st August 2017   Next in Forum: Forces On Supports For An Inclined Panel Under Wind Loading

Advertisement