Previous in Forum: Beckhoff PLC and Twin-Cat   Next in Forum: Liquid and Tank
Close
Close
Close
15 comments

Good Answers: 1

Tutorial Material for High School Robotics Program

08/05/2017 4:11 PM

I am mentoring high school robotics FIRST program and want to teach the students fundamentals about robotics that they can use in designing and building their robots for the FTC and FRC competitions. Suggestions about materials, such as books, tutorials etc. that I can use would be appreciated.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: FIRST FRC FTC robotics
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 330

Re: Tutorial material for High School Robotics Program

08/05/2017 4:59 PM

Well, if your planning on teaching with practical projects. Look over instructables website. You may have to created written material to go along with it.

In reply to #1

08/06/2017 4:30 PM

Phoenix911

thank you for the suggestion, I looked at the site and there might be a few lessons of interest.

jeff

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1104

08/05/2017 5:14 PM

I would teach them to build an existing winner to learn the state of the art....then discuss what changes and/or improvements they might attempt.....then unique ideas for a new bot....

https://www.vexrobotics.com/228-3060.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw2ZXMBRB2EiwA2HVD-DNIy9PQxRL0RHdK57qkXM1Xz1z_eyDA1YB5ruKjc-xkQF4863MKfRoComkQAvD_BwE

https://www.vexrobotics.com/

http://www.holbrook.k12.az.us/schools/hhs/gnovell/Teacher/VexAutoDesk/Unit2/2.2%20Robot%20Design%20System.pdf

check the reference list at the bottom of the wiki page....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIRST_Tech_Challenge

In reply to #2

08/06/2017 4:32 PM

Solar Eagle,

thank you for the suggestion. I am familiar with Vex and some of their tutorial material which will be helpful as they started out as a partner with FIRST.

JEFF

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 5

08/05/2017 5:30 PM

When I was in high school (2008) I was taught to make projects with LEGO MINDSTORMS for student competitions. It gave us enough possibilities to win some prizes.

It was not until university when I started using hardware evaluation boards (such as arduino or RPi) with raw sensors.

Raw materials are cheaper but they require much more knowledge, work and time. Therefore, I would go with a commercial solution.

In reply to #3

08/06/2017 4:37 PM

Ivanov327950,

thank you. Legos are interesting but not applicable to this competition. To bad because there was a Robot competition course at MIT available on the MIT OCW site, https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-270-autonomous-robot-design-competition-january-iap-2005/ which used LEGOS for the body. This course has great tutorials for that project.

jeff

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 103

08/05/2017 9:30 PM

I don't know if CR4 is just another web site you tripped across or if you are familiar with us. There is a huge amount of knowledge and experience in the overall CR4 membership. But, people here have worked on everything from cat doors in the kitchen to spacecraft. It would be very helpful if your question helped focus responses better.

1) How many kids are working on this and how many robots are they building (how many teams)?
2) What time spans are involved (total calendar and hours per week)?
3) Are these kids "just interested" or are they "super bright young engineers and scientists"?
4) Are "hobby" bare boards (Arduino, Raspberry Pi) within scope or, as suggested by another responder, is a higher level starting point appropriate?
5) We could Google it but since you are asking us for help perhaps you could post 1 or 2 paragraphs summarizing what the kids are trying to produce (assembly line wired robot vs. RF controlled fighting robot) and what they will do with it (display & presentation vs. robot wars).
6) What resources are available for this effort? money? wood shop? metal shop? circuit design, assembly and test? mentoring engineers? engineer's junk box full of motors and microcontroller boards?
7) Do the rules impose limits on money, technology, size or other?
8) Computer programming is probably a mandatory part of this. Is the "C" language within scope? Is the "C like" Arduino language within scope? Assembly language?
9) Are you a science teacher, engineer, other? Are you comfortable with this task and just looking for teaching material or are you starting from scratch too?

NOTE: Many potential responders might be more of a Monday - Friday type of responder. Asking a question of everyone on Saturday is sometimes not the best thing to do. If your question is gone Monday morning (after the admins clean off all the junk magic-pill postings) then you might consider reposting.

In reply to #4

08/05/2017 9:59 PM

Thank you for the questions, and to the others for the suggestions.

the club I am involved with is competing in the FIRST robotics competitions,

First Tech Challenge (FTC). https://www.firstinspires.org/robotics/ftc And

First Robotics competition (FRC). https://www.firstinspires.org/robotics/frc

There are short video cartoons showing the challenges.

each has its own requirements, hardware and computers. FTC hardware is similar to VEX, i.e. Erector set type of construction with Android phones as the computers, FRC builds larger robots weighing up to 120 lb and uses the National Instruments RoboRIO processor. We get a kit of parts with motors, syncros, motor controllers, chassis parts, wheels, gear boxes, etc. These are not cheap, the parts for FTC cost about $1,500, and significantly more for FRC. The company, AndyMark sells components for both.

there are about 20 students with a mix of 9-12th graders. Some are very bright future engineers, others are just interested in robotics.

They will build one or two FTC robots and one or two FRC robots. Typically the challenge involves picking items up and delivering them to a specied location. Also the robots at the end of a period hoist themselves 4 ft up. Last year the FRC robots climbed a rope.

FTC is in the fall and FRC in the winter. We meet about once a week for several hours in the beginning of a season going to daily, including weekends during the build season. FRC has six weeks from the time the challenge is announced until building stops, this is a very intense period.

the robots run in autonomous mode for the first 15-30 seconds and are teleoperated for the next two minutes by a driver.

We have access to a high school shop with wood and metal working tools. Also have access to design and simulation tools such as Auto-Desk Inventor.

I am a retired electrical engineers who worked in digitial signal processing and communications, not robotics

what I am looking for are resources I can use to teach them the basics of robotics.

thanks.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru

Good Answers: 1104
In reply to #5

08/06/2017 12:00 AM

Inspirational/motivational Battlebots 2.0

Good Answers: 1573

Re: Tutorial Material for High School Robotics Program

08/06/2017 12:07 AM
Register to Reply

In reply to #7

08/06/2017 4:20 PM

Lyn,

thank for the references, the second refers to the FTC which the students will compete in at a local level. The third is a one hour lesson plan for middle school, more about what robots are used for vs building them. The first has possibilities.

thanks for the suggestions and the effort to find them. Appreciate this.

Jeff

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 33

08/06/2017 3:37 PM

See if you can find anyting about a person named Robert Hogg, who started early programs in the Los Angeles, Pasadena area, years ago. His son went on to be an Engineer and worked on the Mars Landing Project, Mar's Rover etc, at JPL. He should be a wealth of info, as there was very little available when he started.

Register to Reply

In reply to #8

08/06/2017 4:28 PM

C-Mac,

thank you for the suggestion, there are a number of Robert Hogg's listed in google, but did find one who might be able to help.

• FYI today I found a book on Amazon, "FTC Robotics: Tips, Tricks, Strategies, and Secrets, updated 2017-17 edition", which might be the resource I have been looking for. Also found and older book published in 2007 "FIRST Robots: Aim High" which also looks promising, this appears to only be available as a used book, but very inexpensive.

jeff

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 33
In reply to #10

08/06/2017 5:07 PM

Robert is his son, at JPL, .His father is Doug Hogg, with the FIRST program. Both come up in Google search.

My apologies with listing Robert twice, as father and son.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 5
In reply to #14

08/07/2017 9:03 AM

As most people in CR4 would say, all you have to do is to give him a call.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

BruceFlorida (1); C-Mac (2); Ivanov327950 (2); Jafried (6); lyn (1); phoenix911 (1); SolarEagle (2)

Previous in Forum: Beckhoff PLC and Twin-Cat   Next in Forum: Liquid and Tank

Advertisement