CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Ripening of Fruit   Next in Forum: Buildup of Mold
Close
Close
Close
93 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 1125

What is the True Gravitational Measurement of Weight?

08/15/2017 2:21 AM

I was thinking the other day, so we measure our weight on the surface of the Earth, but what about the force of the Earth's rotation, wouldn't that have an outward or anti-gravity effect? So gravity is strong enough to overcome the outward force or momentum of kinetic energy of matter, but what if we took that into account, how much would the average person actually weigh?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 700

Re: What is the true gravitational measurement of weight

08/15/2017 2:56 AM

Well, that's why the planet is an oblate spheroid and not spherical. Gravity varies by location on it and with altitude - not a lot though enough to make space launches nearer the equator more economical in terms of fuel consumption and weight lifted into orbit.

<...average person...> Wossat? The weight of any individual varies through the day depending on when and how much one has eaten and drunk, and when and how much one has excreted. One also loses weight when one breathes out.

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #1

08/15/2017 1:41 PM

Yea, maybe using a brick as a reference would have been better.

Good Answers: 575
In reply to #1

08/15/2017 7:59 PM

True, the .3% helps in lifting the satellite above the atmosphere. A big part of the advantage of launching a satellite from the equator has to do with the earth's rotation. When a satellite is launched to the east, 5.5% less change in velocity is required and hence 11% less energy (E=.5mv2)

I suspect that you don't change weight when inhaling and exhaling. As you inhale air, your body expands causing a greater buoyancy force from the air outside which cancels out the weight of the inhaled air. But over time, weight does change due to respiration.

Most people only consider food intake and excretion when analyzing weight changes, totally ignoring respiration. Gases are light, but we exchange carbon dioxide for oxygen 24 hours a day, and it turns out this exchange has the greatest effect.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/287046.php

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
In reply to #40

08/16/2017 2:59 AM

<...don't change weight when inhaling and exhaling....over time, weight does change due to respiration...> These two things are opposing each other.

Loss of weight due to water evaporation from the lungs?

In reply to #45

08/16/2017 2:33 PM

I guess what I was trying to say was that the body should weigh the same with the lungs fully inflated or fully deflated. The weight of inhaled air is offset by buoyancy due to increased volume. That's probably obvious.

When the body burns (oxidizes) fat, it is converted to CO2 and water. The loss of weight primarily occurs through respiration (exchange of gases). So in this sense, breathing does change the weight of the body.

Register to Reply
Associate

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #45

08/30/2017 11:19 PM

And the metabolic conversion of food into energy, releasing CO2....... Not a lot with each breath, but as long as we are wandering afield....

In reply to #1

08/30/2017 11:27 PM

Actually, the fuel efficiency of launching your rocket using the earth's rotation is that at the equator, the earth is rotating nearly 1000 MPH, giving you an advantage going east, and a great speed loss heading off west! Polar orbits get a little complicated, since they are usually not entirely polar. And the earth is moving around 65,000 mph around the sun, so if you want to go to someplace else, there is that. And the solar system is going nearly 500,000 mph around the Milky Way galaxy. But those don't seem to make much difference in my weight. Unless I want to convince my wife that is why it keep going up!

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 174

08/15/2017 3:40 AM

What you're saying is that we don't have a "true" definition of weight - so we would calculate one against the other and certainly be able to do so, but we would also be introducing errors.

But. How many vectors are we on?

• Revolving around the Earth.
  • Revolving around the Sun.
  • Revolving aroung the hub of the Milky Way.
  • More?

But, weight is how we have defined it, and that's that!

I think this [thread] is going to be interesting.

In reply to #2

08/15/2017 3:07 PM

g=32.2 ft/sec2 = 32.2*3600*3600/5280 mi/hr2 = 79036 mi/hr2

acceleration around earth = 10002/4000 = 250 mi/hr2

acceleration around sun = 660002/93000000 = 46.8 mi/hr2

acceleration around galaxy = (5140002/1.5*1017) = 1.76 x 10-6 mi/hr2 or 1.6 furlongs per fortnight squared

Active Contributor

In reply to #26

08/16/2017 5:51 AM

What language is that? Some archaic measurement system used in backward countries?

I though g was 9.806650m/sex2

Register to Reply
Commentator

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #49

08/16/2017 11:55 AM

Sapling, that is the language spoken by the only humans who actually walked on the moon. Their calculations were made largely through the use of an analog wooden stick. The nation that still largely still uses that language is 25% of the worlds economy, and that language still works. Since being shamed by misguided pinheads into using the m/sex2 language the knowledge necessary for interplanetary travel has been lost, although it is slowly being relearned. Unfortunately the wooden calculator sticks, which work without the need of any power source other than knowledge and imagination have been lost forever to history!

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #58

08/16/2017 10:44 PM

I still have my "wooden calculator sticks" that slide...amuses the grand kids.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 19
In reply to #66

08/16/2017 10:53 PM

We used to call them "guessing sticks" when I used to use them........that seems too long ago to remember.......or maybe, too long to want to remember!!!

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #66

08/17/2017 11:01 AM

I gave mine to my son, a recent EE graduate, along with a manual for using it, and a note " in case the grid goes down this still works".

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 23
In reply to #26

08/16/2017 10:34 AM

When you say " fortnight " or a synodic month, do you mean 1/2 of 14.77 squared ?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 118

08/15/2017 4:22 AM

I make centrifugal acceleration at the equator 0.034m/s2, ~ 0.34% of g. At other latitude it = that*cos squared (latitude), normal to Earth's surface.

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 209

08/15/2017 4:57 AM

Wouldn't weighing yourself or something on the earth's axis give you as close to what you are pondering as possible?

Guru

Good Answers: 230

08/15/2017 5:28 AM

Turns out you are about 0.5% heavier at the poles. About two thirds of that is due to centripetal force and one third, because the earth is oblate, you are closer to the centre of mass at the poles.

http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/about-us/42-our-solar-system/the-earth/gravity/93-does-gravity-vary-across-the-surface-of-the-earth-intermediate

There is also about another 0.1% variation due to local geology.

In reply to #5

08/15/2017 5:33 AM

After defecation, one is around 0.5% lighter, too.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 774
In reply to #6

08/15/2017 7:34 AM

That depends on one's diet.

In reply to #8

08/15/2017 7:49 AM

Quite.

In reply to #6

08/15/2017 5:02 PM

Wow that's one hellofa dump!

In reply to #32

08/16/2017 4:54 AM

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 335
In reply to #32

08/31/2017 9:25 AM

Hey... stop getting political...

In reply to #5

08/16/2017 6:58 AM

Turns out you are about 0.5% heavier at the poles.

No! No! No!...........this is why you are heavier at the poles!!!

Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Time to take control United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 83

08/15/2017 6:36 AM

Weight is the force of a mass pushing down on a scale, floor, surface of the earth, etc. Doesn't that force already account for the earths rotation?

Are you asking what would the scale read should the earth momentarily (just long enough for the rotational component of force applied to the mass in question to go to zero, but not long enough for people to go flying off into space....yeah...that's a bit challenging to arrange but we can use it for our thought experiment)?

Guru

Good Answers: 241
In reply to #7

08/15/2017 7:37 AM

Why would "people go flying off into space?"

Stopping the rotation isn't going to alter the amount of gravity much. People don't currently fly off into space due to the speed the Earth rotates, why should it be any different if the Earth were not rotating with the people?

In reply to #9

08/15/2017 7:49 AM

Indeed. Stuff doesn't fly off Venus, where the day is longer than the year.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

In reply to #10

08/15/2017 9:27 AM

True but abruptly stopping the Earth to rotate would lift me out of my chair and slam me into my East cubicle wall. I expect I would tumble a few feet into space above the floor and would be a physical mess after I realigned to the new inertial frame. Ouch!

In reply to #12

08/15/2017 9:30 AM

The body hasn't evolved to withstand those sorts of accelerations yet. Fortunately, neither has the earth...

Good Answers: 1586
In reply to #12

08/15/2017 11:27 AM

I expect that you would not only fly through the east cubicle wall, but all the cubicle walls in your office and become a bloody mass on the outer, structural wall as you meet with an untimely demise.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #16

08/15/2017 11:40 AM

But my pulverized body would still fly into space, not outer space but space nonetheless.

In reply to #17

08/15/2017 12:12 PM

Indeed.

Now, let's assume that your intact body (much cleaner that way) was launched from your chair tangentially from the surface in the direction of the earth's rotation and there was nothing in the way to stop you. Just for grins, let's remove the atmosphere too, since we don't want you to become a smoldering ash until our little thought experiment is finished. How far above the Earth's surface, into space would you go?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #19

08/15/2017 1:52 PM

Well that would depend greatly on where one was when the Earth stood still. (Catchy name, somebody should make a movie using it. ) Taking the previously posted velocity of the 1000 mph at the equator and myself at 40.7891° N

v=1000 mph sin(40.7891° N)≈650 mph (which is far below the escape velocity)

If the walls of my cubicle, building walls, eastern tree line and power lines neither impede my movement nor pulverized me to pudding then I would expect my terrified, screaming a$$ would skip across the Atlantic pond like a skipping stone on a lake. It would depend on how many skips I make before I turn into tuna bait and a measurement could be attempted.

In reply to #22

08/15/2017 6:48 PM

But, but, wouldn't the Atlantic pond already have left the "building" before you got there? I'd be more worried about those things launched behind you from a higher altitude than you were to smash you flat and grind you up.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #36

08/15/2017 9:50 PM

Well that all depends on how one wishes to define this impossible immediate stopping of the Earth. If the Earth is considered to be only the solid geologic material then the Atlantic ocean would be flooding Europe as my screaming a$$ bounces on the continental shelf. This option would probably also induce tremendous earthquakes as the liquid mantle continues to spin under the crust. If one chooses instead the equally preposterous idea that everything else but me constitutes the Earth (yes, I am special in my fantasies) then my screaming a$$ skips into the Atlantic. If instead I am part of the stalled in rotation Earth then dawn will never come. I won't get paid for my efforts this month but time related bills will need never be paid for tomorrow will never come. The eclipse will still happen but no I cannot drive to it.

I really don't like any of these fantasies. Good thing they cannot happen.

In reply to #22

08/15/2017 10:52 PM

You must be "old"..........I remember seeing "that" movie when I was young........a "mere slip of a lad"........and I have just turned 77.....I believe there was a rehash of this 1951 classic but I never bothered watching it!!!........don't bother with the math, I was 11 or 12 when I first saw it.

In reply to #43

08/16/2017 2:24 AM

I think that was an episode of The Twilight Zone or possibly Night Gallery....

In reply to #44

08/16/2017 4:19 AM

........No!.......it was this one "The Day The Earth Stood Still"

In reply to #44

08/16/2017 10:46 AM

Twilight zone : Eye of the beholder.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

Good Answers: 118
In reply to #22

08/16/2017 7:25 AM

No, v=1000 mph cos(40.7891° N) ≈ 757 mph. Sin would give zero speed at the equator, 1000 mph at the poles.

In reply to #19

08/15/2017 1:59 PM

This reminds me of this.

In reply to #19

08/15/2017 2:20 PM

1 mile every 3.5 sec speed....average curvature of 7.98 inches per mile or approximately 8 inches per mile (squared)....at 87 miles you would be 5000 ft altitude, at 123 miles you would be at 10k ft....7.17 min

In reply to #19

08/15/2017 2:57 PM

Trajectory is not towards a greater altitude. If it were, it would occur whether the Earth below is moving with you or not. We don't currently fly to some height above the ground and since the gravity is not lessened meaningfully if the Earth were to stop, then we would not fly off into space.

In reply to #25

08/15/2017 3:20 PM

With suddenly moving at 650 mph the slope of a carpet runner could easily provide enough of a ramp to skip my a$$ into the Atlantic. I don't think I'd make it into international waters but still I'd be very wet.

In reply to #25

08/16/2017 4:55 AM

........you mean like this??

In reply to #25

08/16/2017 11:50 PM

I'm taking the off topic ratings to my valid analysis as a complement from the universe.

Thank you, universe.

Thank you, universe, for reminding me that dealing with idiots is an inexpensive price to pay for not being one of the idiots.

In reply to #19

08/17/2017 10:19 AM

For everyone who is so remarkably confused about the hypothetical Lyn proposed asking to how high one would be launched if the Earth suddenly stopped rotating and you did jot strike anything in your path...

...the question can be rephrased into an equivalent:

If you drive a vehicle at 1000 mph off a ramp with no elevation (so just horizontal), how high above the height at the end of the ramp will you get before decending? ...assume your path is free of things to strike after leaving the (so called) ramp.

This is pretty simple stuff

Good Answers: 70
In reply to #70

08/17/2017 2:12 PM

now you're speaking my language.

It's the one where E=E

In reply to #70

08/17/2017 11:20 PM

Stop the world! I wanna' get off.

In reply to #17

08/15/2017 3:09 PM

You'd need some sort of ramp, otherwise, no increase in altitude.

In reply to #27

08/15/2017 3:54 PM

With no air it would be like the moon....except with more gravity...

In reply to #30

08/16/2017 11:47 PM

Golf balls are driven with an initial trajectory with some upward component...

Or at least successful drives are initiated in that manner.

In reply to #27

08/15/2017 4:05 PM

You must be a member of the Flat Earth Society!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #31

08/15/2017 6:24 PM

No, just the Society Ever Loyal to Logic and Reason.

If nothing struck you, why should your body change its motion if while you jumped off the ground momentarily the earth below were to stop, increase in speed, reverese direction, or just continue.

Your reasoning is flawed. The gravity doesn't change meaningfully whether the earth is spinning or stopped. You don't launch into the air unless, contrary to your initial conditions, something like a ramp strikes you.

Go ahead, think it over.

Here, this may help you out. If the Earth is modeled as point mass the velocity for a stablr round orbit at sea level is above 17,000 MPH.

Now seeing as you were talking about speeds 16,000 MPH slower, why would anything be launched to higher altitude?

In reply to #35

08/15/2017 6:51 PM

Well if the planet was rotating at orbital speed ~18k mph you would be near weightlessness on the equator....but you probably wouldn't have to go that fast as the planet would start to be more and more elliptical shaped and your position on the equator would be further and further from the center of the Earth at a slower speed, perhaps 10k mph...?

In reply to #35

08/16/2017 11:11 AM

Maybe someone should ask Dr. Sten Odenwald this question.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Time to take control United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #9

08/15/2017 11:47 AM

Do to the sudden stop (deceleration).

In reply to #18

08/15/2017 7:33 PM

I'm not familiar with the 'sudden stop' theorm and its relation to momentum and gravity.

I understand that if the stuff under foot suddenly stops (or otherwise has an abrupt change in speed), staying upright becomes far more challenging. However, unlese there is some sort of ramp like structure directly east, there is no force in the up direction.

Beyond that the current horizontal velocity gets you no more air if the Earth suddenly stops than if it continues spinning.

Okay, tell me, if you still believe if the Earth suddenly stopped rotating people would be launched off the surface (without interaction with other objects), what do you imagine would happen if the Earth didn't fully stop, but just slower to half its current angular velocity? ...or what if it just hiccuped momentarily coming to a full stop but just for 1/2 a second, then continued spinning at the current rate? What about fighter jets flying east at more than mach 2; do they no longer need lift due to the sudden stop theorm?

In reply to #18

08/18/2017 7:19 PM

..."Do to the sudden stop (deceleration)."...

Due to a sudden stop....

In reply to #76

08/18/2017 11:52 PM

It's not the speed that kills...........it's the sudden stop!!

In reply to #76

08/21/2017 12:38 PM

Many thanks.

Re: What is the True Gravitational Measurement of Weight

08/15/2017 10:18 AM

Back of the envelope calculation: Equatorial speed at the equator is about 1000 mph (25000 circumference / 24 hours). Orbital velocity is about 18000 mph. Acceleration = v2/r. So centrifugal force at the equator is about (1/182) g or about 0.3% g.

Guru

In reply to #14

Re: What is the True Gravitational Measurement of Weight

08/15/2017 1:40 PM

So a 200 lb man would gain about half a lb? I imagine if the moon was overhead it would be even less...Even though our spinning speed is 1000 mph at the surface, we are in fact turning quite slowly...I imagine if the Earth was rotating at a speed 10 times what it is now the planet would be less dense, we would be even further from the center of the Earth and weigh even less....I wonder what the speed limit is?

Re: What is the True Gravitational Measurement of Weight?

08/15/2017 10:43 AM

Rather than comcern yourself with how close to the equator you are, the geologic anomalies, the position of the moon and sun....

...just lose the spring scale and opt for a mass balance.

In reply to #15

08/15/2017 6:14 PM

Would the 'off topic' rater, care to explain how or why they see my comment as such? Ignoramus.

The point is, these errors introduced when not using a mass balance scale. If a spring scale, sure, all these variations introduce error. That isn't some fundamental mystery of the universe, it is a flaw inherent in a particular measurement tool...and perhaps a flaw in the though processes of some.

08/15/2017 3:14 PM

Unless and only unless the atmosphere is removed nobody's going anywhere. Since we are in fact bags of water plus a few trace gases.. we would stay grounded. We might resemble a 'worm burner'(golf), but like all water, and minerals that's not suspended in gas well stay on the ground. If the force is actually large enough to launch us the Earth would basically be exploding right along with us. These are the reasons water is not just souping up in the sky. It's only because we have this bag of skin, muscle and bone that we are able to escape the water.

As far as how large the Earth could be in our current body? It could only get a fraction larger as our blood begins to boil pretty quickly. If somehow the amount of atmosphere would also grow along with the planet then it could grow and grow without affecting us except that we would be squashed like.. bags of water sooner or later.

In reply to #28

08/15/2017 5:08 PM

..."water is not just souping up in the sky"...

In reply to #33

08/15/2017 7:48 PM

A drop of broth does not a soup make.

In reply to #39

08/15/2017 9:35 PM

It's all about the density....

In reply to #41

08/16/2017 8:14 AM

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

In reply to #52

08/16/2017 10:49 AM

Dyslexics untie!

In reply to #55

08/16/2017 10:49 AM

Lysdexia lures, KO?

In reply to #56

08/16/2017 5:35 PM

In reply to #56

08/16/2017 6:42 PM

Put a crow, camel, a mini male macaw or cat up.

In reply to #52

08/16/2017 10:20 PM

In reply to #64

08/16/2017 10:35 PM

Straw? No, too stupid a fad. I put soot on warts.

In reply to #65

08/17/2017 6:30 PM

Good Answers: 20

08/16/2017 12:31 PM

Then there's the correction for your buoyancy in the atmosphere, the weight of air you displace subtracts from your apparent weight.

With very large objects, it is enough to add to your calculations, I was surprised to learn not that long ago....

http://www.npl.co.uk/reference/faqs/what-is-buoyancy-and-how-does-it-affect-weighing-(faq-mass-and-density)

Register to Reply
Guru

08/16/2017 7:42 PM

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 87
In reply to #63

08/21/2017 9:46 AM

That photo needs to be a "Caption This."

Observer: "That's defying the law of gravity!"

Man on Wall: "So sorry, but I've never studied law."

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 152
In reply to #78

08/21/2017 10:28 AM

OR, it could like this:

Mom: Son you come down here this instant, Alfred Charles Binswanger!

Son: Sorry mom, but ever since I got hired on at CR4 as a mod, I am walking on sunshine!

disclaimer: No actors, animal or otherwise, were harmed in the making of this episode of stump the engineer band. Any resemblance to persons now living, or formerly living is unintentional, and without any malicious intent.

In reply to #80

08/21/2017 10:38 AM

.......or "Beam me up Scotty. The earth sucks"

.......I always knew there was no such thing as gravity!!!

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #63

08/21/2017 10:24 AM

I would like to know how that was done without photo shop.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 87
In reply to #79

08/21/2017 11:14 AM

The same way gurus levitate while casually holding their cane to the ground.

(There's a pole mounted to the building, running down his sleeve to an apparatus under his suit that is bearing his weight, most likely running down his legs and taking the load from the feet, so he doesn't have the 'flying person foot droop.' Aesthetics aside, holding him up by his crotch would lead to suspension trauma.

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Guru

08/18/2017 9:33 AM

Clearly, physicists have very sophisticated apparatus for measurement of local gravitational apparent acceleration (as do geophysicists). The variation in g across the globe can reveal a lot of information, and I will leave the exact nature of that information to the experts, but they read g to extreme precision (and local accuracy as well). This is quite distinct from G (the gravitational constant).

If the Earth's size were the same, and the periodicity of axial rotation reduced (shorter days) drastically, a point would be reached where objects on the surface would tend to lift off, etc. Equivalent argument with less than 1 Earth mass, same radius, and same rotational velocity.

Certainly, high rotational velocity with respect to surface g, tends to increase the eccentricity of any planetary body, due to the plasticity of the mass contained.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

08/31/2017 9:24 AM

That's why instead of using weight... one uses mass. its a lot simpler... to some anyways.

In reply to #86

08/31/2017 1:51 PM

Every analytical balance still utilizes gravitation for its operation, they just learn to cancel out local effects very carefully, to the result in always the same in grams, mg, or Kg.

In reply to #89

08/31/2017 4:29 PM

Hey, James,

Uhhhhh, my old physics instructors used to lecture us to remember that grams, mg, kg etc. were "mass", not "weight". Balances use mass and moment to measure mass, and since the comparative masses are most likely close enough to the relativistic space of the object being quantified, the gravitational differential has been made moot. Now if you want to talk about a system using springs, or load sensors, that would be gravity affected and perhaps on topic.

Does that make this off topic?

Are we there yet???

In reply to #90

08/31/2017 4:36 PM

If all of the Massachusetts' Catholics held their liturgy at once what would be the wait to get out of this massive Mass. mass.

On that sour note, I am out of here.

In reply to #91

08/31/2017 4:59 PM

Aw shucks, I was just getting a handle on the weight of it all.

In reply to #90

08/31/2017 4:58 PM

No, brother, this is always good stuff. Good to hear from you.

08/31/2017 9:29 AM

And that's why the Arianne Rockets are launched at the Guiana Space Center.

it takes less fuel than when you move away from the equator... but I believe it has more to do with momentum also?...

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

adreasler (2); Codemaster (2); huntman10 (3); James Stewart (6); JBTardis (3); JE in Chicago (3); JPool (1); lyn (4); Mikerho (3); MOBI (8); phoenix911 (3); PWSlack (9); Randall (1); redfred (8); Rixter (4); rwilliams (1); Sapling (2); Solararts (2); SolarEagle (12); tonyhemet (3); truth is not a compromise (12); WJMFIRE (1)

Previous in Forum: Ripening of Fruit   Next in Forum: Buildup of Mold

Advertisement