CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: SS & Copper Weld   Next in Forum: High Pressure Air Flow
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Technical Fields - Project Managers & Project Engineers - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Genetics - New Member

Groundwater Remediation System Design

08/17/2017 9:05 AM

I am interested in harsh environment chemical resistant solenoid valves. More specifically, I am designing a groundwater remediation system. The remediation process will entail the use of ozone gas and 15%-20% hydrogen peroxide, both under pressure (5-75 psi). They will be injected at various rates, times, volumes. I will have a 25-30 solenoid valve set up when completed. The valves will be connected to 1.5” stainless steel pipe. Flanged or unflanged solenoid valves OK. In addition, I am also installing a +/-1,000 cfm soil vapor extraction (SVE) vacuum system. I am trying to find actuated valves to provide automated vacuum control. So to summarize:

1. I need solenoid valves that can withstand the ozone/hydrogen peroxide chemical environment. Note: they will be integrated into a PLC timer system.

2. I am also in need of actuated adjustable gate valves that can regulate vacuum - open, partially close, fully close under severe vacuum (-20 to -95 in water).

3. Valves should have a rebuild kit available.

Ideas?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 209

Re: Groundwater Remediation System Design

08/17/2017 9:58 AM

I would check these guys out for the solenoid valves.

Good Answers: 1588
In reply to #1

08/17/2017 10:57 AM

Agreed.

In a former life I used thousands of ASCO valves on chemical process and control systems.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 701

08/18/2017 2:54 AM

<...Ideas?...> Yep. Start searching for them with suppliers over the internet and use the telephone to whittle down the intended suppliers to 1no. Then place a purchase order with the selected supplier.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155

08/18/2017 8:58 AM

I have a question:

Is the air environment where these valves are to be installed also harsh?

Second question: Is the entire generation of ozone sealed such that all of it goes in the ground?

15%-20% hydrogen peroxide is compatible with the following plastics:

Hydrogen peroxide 30% LDPE / HDPE at 20°C-50°C: little or no damage after 30 days.

hydrogen peroxide 30% - LDPE/HDPE at 20 °C - 50 °C: little or no damage after 30 days.

Of course, the flourinated plastics perform even better, including teflon tubing, PFA tubing, and Kynar pipe. Polypropylene IMHO will exhibit superior resistance to oxidation by chemicals over HDPE. Avoid exposure of LDPE, or HDPE to direct sunlight, as sunlight UV exposure will result in tubing embrittlement and failure.

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 701

08/18/2017 9:34 AM

This might come in handy, perhaps (usual disclaimer - other materials compatibility charts and databases are available).

Good Answers: 118

08/19/2017 3:23 AM

Since when was 95in water severe vacuum? Full vacuum is ~ 30ft water.

You don't give the size of the gate valve, but a gate valve isn't too good for control. And it probably needs a multi-turn actuator. Other types - butterfly, eccentric plug better for control and use a 1/4 turn actuator.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155
In reply to #6

08/21/2017 9:09 AM

Obviously, that is not anywhere near hard vacuum, or even medium soft vacuum.

As someone familiar with power plant steam condensers that usually run with only 1-1.5 "Hg back-pressure, OP is clearly nowhere near a complete vacuum.

Good Answers: 80

08/19/2017 10:03 PM

Sounds interesting!

I deal with soil and groundwater remediation. I'm assuming you are using a 1.5" main manifold and stepping down or are the solenoids 1.5" as well, if you are looking for solenoid valves instead of actuated valves? Asco (as mentioned before) are a great make of valve but my own preference is Burkert angle seat valves for ease of installation, reliability, rebuildability etc. They are readily available in SS and either threaded or sanitary flange connections for sure, as well as a range of elastomers. I'm just not sure if they only come with a pneumatic actuator.

They also offer multiposition controllers for their valves. I would be another one to suggest gate valves are not the best option to control vacuum, especially with an SVE where you are often pulling a somewhat abrasive stream. Globe or possibly the angle seat valves, or a VFD drive controller on the blower would be my preference.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 8 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Codemaster (1); James Stewart (2); JNB (1); JPool (1); lyn (1); PWSlack (2)

Previous in Forum: SS & Copper Weld   Next in Forum: High Pressure Air Flow

Advertisement