CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Vortex Flowmeter Steam Flow   Next in Forum: Failure of Pneumatic Actuator for a Steam Control Modulating Valve
Close
Close
Close
18 comments
Participant

Stepper Motor

08/18/2017 12:24 PM

I am need a suggestion for specifications for stepper motor.That I want the stepper motor for turn 60 degree and some process is done then to another 60 degree and so on.I want to repeat this for 6 times and totally 360 degree and also you can program in keil..

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 576

Re: Stepper motor

08/18/2017 12:46 PM

The stepper motor specification important to you are steps per revolution and torque. Make sure the torque is sufficient for your application. Steps per revolution need to be divisible by 6 for your application. Stepper motors are driven by special circuits, stepper motor drivers. The circuit is pulsed once per step. The second input to this circuit is the direction.

Here is a practical tutorial.

https://cdn-learn.adafruit.com/downloads/pdf/all-about-stepper-motors.pdf

I hope this is helpful.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 774

Re: Stepper Motor

08/18/2017 1:37 PM

One of the unspecified concerns you need to address is how precisely must these movements be 60°? Most two phase motors are 200 full steps per revolution (1.8°/ step). Half stepping will give you an accurate 0.9°/step, but using a drive with finer micro-stepping intervals will not be accurate (in other words, micro-stepping by 128 sub-intervals will have 128 sub-steps, but they will not be all the same fraction of a whole step.) You can get five phase stepping motors with 500 full steps per revolution.

Then there are the added concerns of how quickly you wish to move, how much inertia will the motor see, and load changes.

Good Answers: 576
In reply to #2

08/18/2017 7:34 PM

If I had a 200 step motor, I would gear it down 1.5:1 giving 300 steps on the output shaft per revolution (50 for 60 degrees).

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 196
In reply to #2

09/17/2017 11:24 AM

How about adding some gear wheels to change the range? Or even worm drive? Lots of power with a smaller motor?

Or maybe if a chain/belt drive is going to be used anyway, the drive wheel to the belt/chain might be specially selected?

Just a few thoughts....

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 152

08/18/2017 1:48 PM

You really need to provide the forum with additional information if we are to be successful to any degree in assisting you with your request.

Are you allowing to use gearing?

How much torque is required for the movement?

Could you do the same with a clockwork, a non-stepper DC motor, and a micro-controller that shuts off the motor at each 60 degree detente step?

Good Answers: 4

08/18/2017 4:08 PM

You can also check out the GlobalSpec Specification Guide on stepper motors:

http://www.globalspec.com/learnmore/motion_controls/motors/stepper_motors

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1125

08/18/2017 4:18 PM

It depends on the application but you might consider a linear actuator setup...

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #5

08/18/2017 4:46 PM

If it needs to be really fast in progressing to next stepped position - use a solenoid of significant length, and make it ratchet the thing to each position.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 336

08/18/2017 6:21 PM

Get a hybrid stepper, that's basically an integrated closed loop system.

it has an encoder, so that you don't lose a step.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 774
In reply to #7

08/19/2017 7:33 AM

That's not what most people call a hybrid stepping motor. There is no requirement for an encoder.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #9

08/19/2017 2:46 PM

Thanks for more details .. I would like add a correction to my post.

Get a hybrid stepper, that's basically has an integrated closed loop system.

this is what I used when I retrofitting my manual milling machine to CNC.

India - Member - Sensors Technology Popular Science - Cosmology - Dream, Think and Act United Kingdom - Member - New Member United States - Member - New Member Canada - Member - New Member

Location: AM-51, Deen Dayal Nagar, Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh, MP 474001, India
Good Answers: 32
In reply to #7

09/08/2017 8:18 AM

Hybrid stepper likely to have servo integrated.

In reply to #15

09/08/2017 8:24 AM

from my link on post #11, what is integrated is the encoder, closing the loop.

I have yet to test this for Computerized Numeric Control (CNC), I'm and curious as to when the correction occurs, after each block of code read, or actually cut. This I'm sure is how the control software you have is set.

India - Member - Sensors Technology Popular Science - Cosmology - Dream, Think and Act United Kingdom - Member - New Member United States - Member - New Member Canada - Member - New Member

Location: AM-51, Deen Dayal Nagar, Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh, MP 474001, India
Good Answers: 32
In reply to #16

09/09/2017 4:55 AM

Yes, encoder is a must for a closed loop accurate position control as Stepper motors can slip a step and it often happens when speed is increased.

Sherline CNC use stepper motors.

http://sherline.com/

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 62

08/19/2017 11:54 AM

Dear Mr. pragadheesh,

Open the below link and read, I am sure, you will find it very useful and you have variety of subjects here.

https://www.electricaltechnology.org/2016/12/stepper-motor-construction-types-and-modes-of-operation.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+electricaltechnology1+%28Electrical+Technology%29

Dhayananhdhan.S

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

08/30/2017 3:08 PM

Not knowing the application or any specifications doesn't stop me from chiming in . . .

Could your needs be met by a regular motor driving a Geneva drive?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneva_drive

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

In reply to #12

08/30/2017 3:21 PM

Very nicely done, sir! I think that should really take care of what the OP wanted, don't you? At least as long as it were a six-segmented Geneva. Did someone already mention that?

After further review, Carl gets the golden tennis shoes on this one!!!

In reply to #13

08/30/2017 10:39 PM

I rescued a prototype Geneva drive from the recycle bin in the ESI model shop in the early '80s. It lives in my Mr. Science box and I show it to kids of all ages just to see the expressions on their faces when they "get it.". It is such a marvelous motion, locked in place for a while, then smoothly accelerated and decelerated, and then locked into place again. This model was to demonstrate what became the parts handler for the ESI Laser Trimmer systems. Old technology, but very neat!

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 18 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (1); Carl Van Wormer (2); dhayanandhan (1); James Stewart (3); phoenix911 (3); redfred (2); Rixter (2); Shyam (2); SolarEagle (1); terrapin (1)

Previous in Forum: Vortex Flowmeter Steam Flow   Next in Forum: Failure of Pneumatic Actuator for a Steam Control Modulating Valve

Advertisement