CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Tau Max Decrease as the Diameter Increases?   Next in Forum: Clamping Unit Needed
Close
Close
Close
4 comments
Active Contributor

Corrugated Rectangular Tank

08/26/2017 2:14 AM

Dear All,

Can you edify me on design of corrugated rectangular tank. Earlier i have designed rectangular tank as per Roark's formulae.

But this time, it is corrugated tank : so it would be difficult to add stiffeners on wall.

Thus, in absence of stiffeners bending stresses generated in the wall would be high.

So can you guide me how to take advantage of corrugation provided on wall of tanks to lower bending stress.

Tank dimension is

L=6000mm

W=1500mm

H=1700mm.

thanks in advance for your guidance.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Active Contributor

Re: Corrugated rectangular tank

08/26/2017 3:09 AM

In my understanding, moment of inertia of provided corrugation need to calculated and same shall be compared with required moment of inertia.
Or
corrugation dimensions shall be finalized on the basis of required moment of inertia.
Kindly suggest.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 576

Re: Corrugated rectangular tank

08/26/2017 8:00 AM
Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 174

Re: Corrugated Rectangular Tank

08/27/2017 3:42 AM

If the corrugations run lengthwise, you may not need to add stiffeners, depending on why the corrugations (But this time, it is corrugated tank :) were added.

Need more info.

In reply to #3

Re: Corrugated Rectangular Tank

08/27/2017 7:21 AM

Mikerho,

Yes, corrugation is along the length of tank.

I request you to elaborate how to check whether the provided corrugation is sufficient for requirement.

Below is my understanding for checking / deciding corrugation dimensions:

In absence of stiffeners, unstiffened length would be same as length of tank.

Now, bending moment would be calculated considering unstiffened length (tank length) and thus this would result into requirement of high moment of inertia.

In order to satisfy above requirement, required moment of inertia < no of corrugation X Moment of inertia of single corrugation.

This is how quantity and dimensions of corrugation (trapezoidal) is to be decided.

Is my understanding correct?

If wrong than please correct me.

Please provide your expert advice.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 4 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

IK (2); Mikerho (1); Rixter (1)

Previous in Forum: Tau Max Decrease as the Diameter Increases?   Next in Forum: Clamping Unit Needed

Advertisement