CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Automated SCADA Functional Testing   Next in Forum: Open Source Software for Windows 8.1
Close
Close
Close
6 comments

3D Meshing With Two Touching Solid Bodies

08/28/2017 10:05 AM

I'm working on this concrete beam with rebar going through it in MSC Marc Mentat. These are all solid bodies the problem I believe is where the rebar touches the concrete. I believe Marc sees those elements as not 3d. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 1087

Re: 3D Meshing With Two Touching Solid Bodies

08/28/2017 11:26 AM

In reply to #1

08/29/2017 10:07 AM

Thanks I'll check this out!

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 10

08/29/2017 12:14 PM

Fundamentally, the whole purpose of reinforcing conrete with steel rebar is to allow the concrete to resist compressive forces, which it does very well, and to insert steel rebar to resist tensile forces, which concrete does not do well at all...

...usually with an absolute Code-required minimum coverage of 1.5 to 2 inches, in all directions...

...and necessarily, the various rebars are wired together to form a metal cage totally inside the concrete beams, columns, slabs, etc., which is, necessarily, a 3-D lattice-work steel rebar ,,,

...so, the rebars are intentionally brought in contact with each other...

The concrete also provides substantial protection to the rebar against rust-related corrosion, and other chemical action...

Bottom line, almost all the rebar ''touches'' the concrete, except where it only ''touches'' other rebar...

Consult an ACI Concrete Detailing Manual to get a better idea of just exactly how many different ways rebars can ''touch'' it's surrounding concrete...

In reply to #3

08/29/2017 12:32 PM

This is regarding how to do it in the program. Thanks for the info but it doesn't apply here. Thank you though.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 5

08/29/2017 9:19 PM

I believe you would use calculations involving adhesion between the rebar and concrete to set limit calculations for both materials. So a brush up on some calculus may prove handy in setting more realistic results in your stress and strain loadings.

Also, your calculations will have different results if the steel is pretensioned or post tensioner too. So, limits may apply here as well to screen out values at low or no compression.

Register to Reply

In reply to #5

08/29/2017 10:28 PM

I'm only in highschool so calculus is fresh for me. But I'm looking for how to do it in the program first. Thank you.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 6 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

garyrich2000 (1); Liam Gleason (3); MR. Guest (1); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: Automated SCADA Functional Testing   Next in Forum: Open Source Software for Windows 8.1

Advertisement