CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Underground Cable Design   Next in Forum: Protection Settings
Close
Close
Close
16 comments
Participant

Generator Emergency Shutdown

08/30/2017 6:08 AM

i have a Perkins generator starting for few seconds then emergency shutdown and showing alarm frequency not reachable

Knowing same generator it's showing before locked out alarm due to electrical trip i changed the deep sea 8610 control display then it's work for few days ten back to the same alarm

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 700

Re: generatore emergency sgutdowe

08/30/2017 6:40 AM

Phone the original equipment manufacturer for technical support.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
In reply to #1

08/30/2017 8:21 AM
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 174
In reply to #1

08/30/2017 1:42 PM

But, we all know that would be too easy

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #1

08/30/2017 11:45 PM

Hi PWSlack,

Don't you ever get tired of saying the same thing over and over? Though in most cases I absolutely agree with you sentiments, comments like this add little value to the discussion or help to the OP.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #7

08/31/2017 2:52 AM
  • In all cases, the Original Equipment Manufacturer [OEM] is the best source of advice on equipment that misbehaves.
  • In all cases, the quickest route to a solution is to contact the OEM by telephone for technical support.
  • In all cases, misbehaving equipment costs time.
  • In all cases in business, time is money.
  • In all cases the only thing that is tiresome here is <...Anonymous Poster...>.

Good Answers: 576

Re: Generator Emergency Shutdown

08/30/2017 9:37 AM

It sounds like an engine problem (maybe bad fuel) if the generator is not getting up to frequency, or a problem with the alarm. Can you measure the engine RPM?

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 774

08/30/2017 11:26 AM

This sounds like a classic ESO problem.

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 174
In reply to #4

08/31/2017 2:35 AM

Equipment Superior to Operator?

Just one of the AF entries .

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 152

08/30/2017 2:13 PM

I don't know Perkins generators from shinola, but if it were mine, I would quit trying to operate it by depressing the "deep six" button! Is this thing submersible? I hear it is all the rage down in Arkansas, a completely submersible generator - the Deep Sea 8610, with bright red and white paint, just like the Arkansas Razorbacks team colors.

Around here we fire any guy that works for a few days, then takes ten days off!

BTW - What did the Perkins folks have to say about this? Did they remind you to stop filling the gas tank half full of rain water?

In reply to #6

08/31/2017 3:40 AM

<...What did the Perkins folks have to say about this?...>

Good question.

Did they say, "Don't tell Anonymous Poster #1!", at all?

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 58
In reply to #6

08/31/2017 3:11 PM

I wouldn't call that Hog red color a "bright red". Definitely brighter than Sooner red, but nowhere near Buckeye red.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 152
In reply to #14

08/31/2017 3:37 PM

True that, and most of the time stinkier. Key word being most.

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 58
In reply to #15

08/31/2017 3:46 PM

Yeah well, I'm not for/against the Hogs, but the Buckeyes, being the next state over from PSU.....but they do have a fluorescent shade of red that could wake up the dead and I've had to endure that every year now for the last 23. Kind of anti-PSU no glitz road uniforms in all white with dark blue numbers. Yeah - I know - the Nittany Lions are old school bland.

Good Answers: 1125

08/31/2017 12:46 AM

Good Answers: 7

08/31/2017 1:59 AM

Perhaps-stupid question: did you run it with no electrical load and it still trips?

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 28

08/31/2017 9:02 AM

If the engine runs as designed and up to rpm but no current produced thus no or frequency off then the field may have lost its residual magnetism so it calls for energizing the field we used a 6 volt battery for about 5 minutes to build up a field. This is common if sitting a length of time or other factors.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); James Stewart (2); Mikerho (2); NeilA (1); Phys (2); PWSlack (4); redfred (1); Rixter (1); roy hammy (1); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: Underground Cable Design   Next in Forum: Protection Settings

Advertisement