CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Why do Engineers Lie/Play Dumb About their Jobs?   Next in Forum: Important Civil Engineering Software
Close
Close
Close
15 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 210

Oroville Dam Update

09/02/2017 10:06 AM

I stay on top of this story quite a bit.It's easily one of the biggest engineering and construction jobs in the country@ the moment.

months ago I was highly critical of the continued use of the main spillway. I wanted to see it scrapped and replaced with modern tech ( vs 1960's)

in this recent video you can see the current progress including the drainage system upgrades and the use of several types of concrete being used. it's 20 minutes but I love this sort of thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=537ZMvix1Pg

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 771

Re: Oroville dam update.

09/02/2017 12:12 PM

Complete video set to date.

Oroville Dam repair Part 1

Oroville Dam repair Part 2

Oroville Dam repair Part 3

Part 4 is still coming, I guess?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #1

09/02/2017 12:17 PM

I'm not going to flood the channel, only certain people get into this stuff.........seems they get bored faster than a millennial with a single video game to keep the mind occupied.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 175
In reply to #2

09/05/2017 7:12 PM

Do ya mean "Social Justice Video Warrior"? LOL

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 753

Re: Oroville Dam Update

09/03/2017 2:46 AM

It is interesting to see the upgrades incorporated into the new design. I have never been interested in bashing the old design, which after all lasted ~50 years. However, the onset of recent problems called for an updated design, which seems to be in progress. How cost-effective this is I don't yet know, but we can hope for cost containment without too much quality containment. Staying tuned....

Good Answers: 46
In reply to #3

09/05/2017 10:36 AM

Cost effective? Well that depends on whether you suffer from American Business myopia. Our leading lights apparently aren't aware that the world actually goes on and really pays no attention to your quarterly earnings calls.

So if we want to exercise our thinking then we need to look at the cost of building it 50 years ago and then spread that out over the fifty years it worked and compare it to the cost of building the same structure at 10 year intervals from then until now and then average out that cost against the original construction cost. This will give you the efficacy quotient for the project.

In most cases, Government contracts are the exception in many cases, within the structure of the economy of the day the cost of building it then is actually more than the cost of building it now materials and labor wise. It's all the other things, studies, impacts, fees, hearings, permits, EPA, OSHA etc. that have caused the astronomical increase in construction costs.

In reply to #7

09/05/2017 11:14 AM

does this look like the State go it's moneys worth to you?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 46
In reply to #8

09/05/2017 11:59 AM

Yes, I would, given the age of the dam and the type of damn it is. Had the environment, population, and usage not changed over the last 50 years I would maybe be concerned, but given the era, the technology, the government of California at the time it looks like they made a good initial investment, but failed to properly maintain and upgrade as the circumstances dictated.

Now this is going to set some folks off, (tough) but climate change is really happening. We need to adjust our thinking to this new normal which includes more flooding, higher water levels and lower water levels (extremes) and more heat. More snow, more violent storms etc. (the pictures of that reservoir just a few years ago. Talk about extreme change. )This will require we change our living practices and the way we engineer things. Too many people are playing the blame game instead of figuring out how to live in the new normal we are faced with. Frankly folks, we cannot afford to continue the way we have. The cost of rebuilding is beyond even our countries ability to afford.

Technical Fields - Project Managers & Project Engineers - New Member

Good Answers: 1

09/04/2017 1:37 PM

Cool stuff. Being into heavy construction (the company I work for designs and builds pulp and paper mills), I can't wait for episode 4.

I could sit and watch this kind of stuff for hours and hours...

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #4

09/04/2017 2:04 PM

me too ;)

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #4

09/05/2017 5:32 PM

Same here and often do!

My Ex used to complain to me aobut why on earth I would watch such 'boring things'.

My reply to her was something to the effect that when you can score at least a 110 on a IQ test on a bad day this stuff doesn't seem so boring.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155
In reply to #11

09/06/2017 12:14 PM

OOOOOOO! You really stung her, now didn't you? I bet one of you ended up sleeping in the dog house that night.

In reply to #13

09/07/2017 2:56 PM

No. I always slept where I wanted to sleep. If she was pissed off at me and didn't want to share a bed that's what the spare bedroom was for.

She lived there for most of the last year of our marriage and it was no fault my own either. It takes two people to work out a solution of rational compromise and she was not playing that game. (the rational or the compromising part.)

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #14

09/07/2017 3:30 PM

Don't worry, I get invited to move out at least once a week. The next morning, she forgets all about it.

09/04/2017 3:32 PM
Register to Reply
Guru

09/05/2017 1:49 PM

Yeah, I confess, I only have a snippet of time left today, so I watched 15 seconds of each of about 5 segments. I got the Cliff notes version: lots and lots of leveling concrete, and training walls going up already.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

CaptMoosie (1); Fredski (4); James Stewart (3); Pulpmillguy (1); rashavarek (2); tcmtech (3); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Why do Engineers Lie/Play Dumb About their Jobs?   Next in Forum: Important Civil Engineering Software

Advertisement