CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Bus Fare Question   Next in Forum: Tax Robots To Save Voters Jobs?
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 28

Installing a Pantograph Windshield Wiper

09/03/2017 6:37 PM

Hi! has anyone experience in installing this type of wiper? I purchased a "heavy duty TMC" Korean made wiper for my boat.... but there are almost no instructions nor tips on how to install it.

There is nothing but a leaflet explaining the electrics and a few lines on how to regulate the wiping angle. Same happens with other brands of wipers I also searched.

The windshield where I want to have this wiper installed at is fixed to a metal wall, and there is enough room for placing the motor on top of the frame. Once installed, the pivots of the motor should emerge from the wall about 2 inches above the windshields edge.

Pantograph wipers are basically all the same stuff: mine has a shaft emerging from a gearbox and a metal bar where a second (slave) shaft is screwed onto. Two identical arms are to be coupled each to one shaft while the opposite ends are linked to each other by means of a triangular plate that holds the wiper blade. My questions are: 1.- how to center the motor / gearbox assembly on the windshield: should I proceed as if a regular (non pantograph) wiper... this is in the center-line of the windshield? Or should I consider the center-line between both arms, which are 1 1/2 inches apart?

2.- the metal bar that holds the slave shaft is to be screwed to a sleeve surrounding the master shaft therefore (depending on how you turn it) the slave shaft can get centered with the motor or 180º opposed: does it matter how it is placed?

3.- The triangular plate has a bracket for the blade. This blacket is aligned with one of the arms. Should this arm be connected to the main shaft ? ( I assume it should) or to the slave shaft?

I have the feeling that I am "overthinking" this a bit!

Should I hire a guy for installing the wiper, he would just drill a couple of holes on top of the windshield and attach the gadget to it!

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 235

Re: Installing a pantograph windshield wiper

09/03/2017 6:48 PM

Can you make a simple mock-up of your windshield and windshield and surrounding material (perhaps out of plywood, you don't need to see through it) so that you can install your wiper on the mock-up and then verify the installation you used will work?

In reply to #1

09/03/2017 6:56 PM

could´nt see the forest for the trees!!!!!! Right! GA to you! I honestly was so focused on the angles, displacement, et, etc that I forgotten the basics!. I will do the mockup! Thank you

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 169
In reply to #1

09/03/2017 11:10 PM

I agree, that is a good answer! Since <..we..> can't see it, once the mock-up is made, subsequent communication will reveal the scenario more clearly.

Good Answers: 1086

09/03/2017 7:44 PM

In reply to #3

09/04/2017 2:33 PM

I visited all these pages. The most dissapointing was the first, because the measurings promised Juicy information... but it was only that: a silly drawing

Good Answers: 1086
In reply to #6

09/04/2017 8:03 PM

I guess I should have explained the reasoning here....

https://www.seatechmarineproducts.com/easy-to-fill-windshield-wiper-questionnaire.html

That's from the industry questionnaire for selecting replacement windshield wiper types...If you take the measurements off your boat of the proposed mounting location and window characteristics, they may have a replacement that you could then get instructions from....the whole thing seems silly to me...

Good Answers: 1559

09/03/2017 7:56 PM
Register to Reply
Guru

Re: Installing a Pantograph Windshield Wiper

09/10/2017 9:29 AM

Hi, just a short update:

we have had some nasty weather for the last week or so, therefore could not do much research.

So far, I took a plywood leftover with Formica on one face, and used it for making the mock-up.

I drilled the holes on the board and fixed the motor to the plywood. The driving shaft is centered with the "window", while the slave shaft is to the left (seen from the front), also installed the wiring for Fast and Slow speed, as well as for the (left) "parking" position.

After checking polarity and spraying water on the Formica surface to prevent the rubber from blades to get damaged..... Tarah! the great moment arrived: IT WORKED..... BUT WRONG! Instead of "parking" the blade on the left (as per manual) it did it on the centerline. The wiped area width was correct: during wiping, the blade kept parallel to the window´s left edge (90º), while at the right, the movement ended in a somehow crooked way: the upper tip of the blade touched the edge, while the lower was inclined about 20º to the centerline.

Had no time to go on with the project. The only positive thing is that it does always the same, meaning it (should / could) be an adjustment issue. I will keep you posted. Have a nice weekend and stay safe!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

lyn (1); Mikerho (1); r&ddoc (3); SolarEagle (2); truth is not a compromise (1)

Previous in Forum: Bus Fare Question   Next in Forum: Tax Robots To Save Voters Jobs?

Advertisement