CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Installing a Pantograph Windshield Wiper   Next in Forum: Rental Camera Gear Destroyed by the Solar Eclipse of 2017
Close
Close
Close
37 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 210

Tax Robots To Save Voters Jobs?

09/04/2017 9:52 PM
Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 241

Re: tax robots to save voters jobs?

09/04/2017 10:29 PM

It would be far easier to continue down the path initiated by Citizens United vs FEC and just extend the right to vote and other rights to non-natural 'persons'.

Require each new robot and computer with a minimum level of sophistication be legally person-ized with an assigned LLC or Co and number. Then just apply normal work hours/week, age, and minimum wage requirements. Then collect normal wage taxes and FICA.

This way we can hogtie our competitiveness and get the jump on handing the reins over to our future overlords all in one fell swoop.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 336

09/04/2017 11:34 PM

A progressive liberal society is just running out of things to add to their revenue enhancement (things to tax) for out of control spending.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 749

09/05/2017 2:20 AM

I can think of some classes of voters whose jobs probably should not be saved, but we don't want to go more political than this discussion already is, do we?

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 700

09/05/2017 3:34 AM

<...San Francisco thinks...> No, it doesn't. An individual or a number of individuals in the area might, though.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #4

09/05/2017 6:50 AM

<...San Francisco thinks...> No, it doesn't.

Lets get this straight... some do, but the consensus is no, they don't think.

Just like the Hepatitis 'A' outbreak in the sanctuary city's (San Diego).

Hey,... Lets not leave a crisis go to waste, Maybe the infected ones can be taxed. An infection Tax... how appropriate.

And as one of this country's bread basket for the rest of the country and the world, the risk is high.

Good Answers: 210
In reply to #4

09/05/2017 8:02 AM

it's a collective like The Borg

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member United Kingdom - Big Ben - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Altair 8800 - New Member Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 119

09/05/2017 6:16 AM

Tax Civil Serpents...

Anonymous Poster #1

09/05/2017 7:52 AM

That's why San Francisco supervisor Jane Kim is proposing a so-called "robot tax" on local companies that automate jobs and put people out of work.

Give me a break.

Are you going to tax a CNC mill because it replaces a manual mill?

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru

In reply to #7

09/05/2017 7:59 AM

Are you going to tax a CNC mill because it replaces a manual mill?

that's a whole new source of a revenue enhancement stream.... Not only the CNC machine or robot itself,

• but the CAM software to program the machine,
  • the computers needed to run it,
  • the chair the monkey sits in to program it.
  • And the coffee to keep the monkey working.

Or is that getting too ridicules... not for California...

Keep thinking... you're a model progressive and fit right in...

Location: Baytown Tx. USA where you get your gasoline,chemicals,plastics and floods
Good Answers: 6
In reply to #8

09/05/2017 8:37 AM

I was #7 but posted different.

If you established a tax law that taxed robotics then the lawyers would expand to include all forms of computer control.

Your toaster, car, watch, nearly everything that you use.

Beaning in industrial robotics it would halt all forms of advancement.

It would force everyone to be a Luddite.

In reply to #10

09/05/2017 8:40 AM

that was the point I was trying to make.

Curious, so does a GA go to you even though it was posted Anonymous?

Location: Baytown Tx. USA where you get your gasoline,chemicals,plastics and floods
In reply to #11

09/05/2017 1:24 PM

I could care less about GAs.

In reply to #12

09/05/2017 1:57 PM

that didn't answer my question...

In reply to #13

09/08/2017 6:14 PM

Obviously not!

Good Answers: 771
In reply to #10

09/05/2017 6:48 PM

I say the pass a tax law on stupidity. Anyone who does not qualify as being legitimately mentally handicapped gets a 5% tax per IQ point below 100 with a 75% maximum taxation limit.

By design that would either force people to smarten up, which would also work to correct the numerous boneheaded idea issues they have now, because it would force most everyone into two categories of either being smart enough to function rationally or they would be needing to have themselves declared mentally unfit to make major life decisions on their own.

Register to Reply
Power-User
Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Car Customizing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 14
In reply to #16

09/06/2017 6:51 AM

I say, take your idea one step further, and add a tax rebate for each point over 100. I know a good number of us here, would benefit from that scenario.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Time to take control United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 83
In reply to #17

09/06/2017 7:03 AM

I suspect many would be surprised at how small their rebate would be.

Not that they wouldn't get a sizable rebate....I just think most of us over estimate our own intelligence.

Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Car Customizing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 14
In reply to #18

09/06/2017 7:38 AM

Possibly true. In my case, I actually have the testing results, to back my claims.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 32
In reply to #16

09/12/2017 10:04 AM

I say the pass a tax law on stupidity...

I thought that was what the lottery was for.

CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 12

Re: Tax Robots To Save Voters Jobs?

09/05/2017 2:07 PM

On this morning's Academic Minute, a faculty member from the New York Institute of Technology (an English professor, no less) including taxing robots as a possibility, along with guaranteeing basic living expenses. I've heard similar suggestions elsewhere.

As much as I joke about loving leisure, I cannot imagine not having a job, at least not during the years when adults typically work. It's too bad we can't "un-know" what we know about robotics and bring back at least the less-hazardous occupations.

Register to Reply
Power-User

09/05/2017 2:49 PM

From our very own CR4.

http://insights.globalspec.com/article/6408/robotic-bartender

Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member United Kingdom - Big Ben - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Altair 8800 - New Member Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 119

09/06/2017 8:07 AM

We have to recall this is not new, the weaving 'robots' spawned a reaction in the 19th century. We can call these people Latter day Luddites

09/06/2017 8:40 AM

And tied with this... I'm sure there will be a push for a living wage which will probably be put at about $45.00/hour for an unskilled laborer to turn the robots on in the morning and off in the afternoon.

Good Answers: 576

09/06/2017 9:04 AM

You will have to pay these robots a salary so they can afford to pay their tax.

(As long as we're in La La Land, we might as well go all the way!)

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #22

09/06/2017 9:11 AM

I never go half way... I see a robot strike in the future...

Good Answers: 576
In reply to #22

09/07/2017 10:39 PM
Register to Reply
Guru

09/06/2017 10:08 AM

There are other revenue enhancers (revenue enhancers what a sucky term developed by dirty politicians) that will be also will be considered.

The tax code can change such as Capital Equipment Investment tax deductions where robots and its support would be discontinued as well as the Depreciation deductions.

Good Answers: 70

09/06/2017 10:35 AM

The hanging gardens screwed up automation thousands of years ago and the Romans flushed progress down the toilet.

Good Answers: 41

09/06/2017 11:00 AM

Based on past performance in Oregon, 50% of the tax will go to hire and fund tax collectors and set up the administration system. 50% will go to fund other undesignated projects. The legislature will then put an operating levy on the ballot to fund high school and community college vocational programs which they will not put in place as the operating levy is needed for more urgent needs, like replacing funds diverted from the underfunded pension program.

I rarely see a settlement or program that actually delivers payment or services to the victims of the original problem. Portland is including 28 million dollars in next year's budget for the estimated 2500 homeless living in Portland. I doubt any will actually make it to the homeless. How many Takata airbag owners will see a dime of the fine money, or the VW diesel fine money.

I suppose that one approach would be to require that each installed robot have a human supervisor to monitor the quality, effectiveness and safety of the robot's operation. The railroad called it featherbedding and it guaranteed that the guy who used to shovel coal, called the fireman, would continue to get a paycheck.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #26

09/06/2017 11:05 AM

sounds like they have the money already spent on administrative costs before the tax hasn't even been passed and collected.

Good Answers: 41
In reply to #27

09/06/2017 11:41 AM

Eeyup.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 70

09/07/2017 6:13 PM

Oops

09/10/2017 12:37 PM

I think that it all just comes down to the fact that way too many, of a certain type of poltical mindset, now want something, or everything, at someone else's expense no matter what it costs to get it for them.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #32

09/10/2017 4:15 PM

And it's been going on way too long making it rough for those who took advantage of it to the point they expected is it to continue and instead of dealing with it, they melted down.

In reply to #33

09/10/2017 10:23 PM

Rather my thoughts as well. They developed a literal addiction to their own cause and belief systems and now we are all now dealing with mass withdrawal symptoms because it came crashing down around them.

Kind weird to look at liberal actions as a form of addiction withdrawal reaction but it does seem to fit every major one of the patterns of behavior a little too well to dismiss as coincidence.

Anger, wild false accusations that it's everyone else with the problem, over the top denial, wild self destructive lying and attempts to manipulate anything they can to get back what they had, empty threats they know they can't back up,

Looks like all the major a personality related addiction withdrawal symptoms to me.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 32

09/12/2017 10:12 AM

Wouldn't this be taxation without representation? The robots would have to be allowed to vote, then they will vote us out of existence!

Guru

In reply to #36

09/12/2017 10:21 AM

I'm running under the Robot Party....

Me Too...

I say, Robots are people too, and they deserve free healthcare.....

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); aurizon (2); BestInShow (1); Fredski (1); IanR (2); JBTardis (1); JE in Chicago (2); jhowdy (2); Jpfalt (2); phoenix911 (11); PWSlack (1); Rixter (2); ronc (4); tcmtech (3); Tornado (1); truth is not a compromise (1)

Previous in Forum: Installing a Pantograph Windshield Wiper   Next in Forum: Rental Camera Gear Destroyed by the Solar Eclipse of 2017

Advertisement