CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Tax Robots To Save Voters Jobs?   Next in Forum: Chainsaw Oiler
Close
Close
Close
22 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 539

Rental Camera Gear Destroyed by the Solar Eclipse of 2017

09/05/2017 9:48 AM
Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 697

Re: Rental Camera Gear Destroyed by the Solar Eclipse of 2017

09/05/2017 9:52 AM

Good Answers: 1086

09/05/2017 10:08 AM

Gee, lens,,,Sun,,,who would of figured that?

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 744
In reply to #2

09/05/2017 10:39 AM

would have, not of

Good Answers: 1086
In reply to #3

09/05/2017 4:33 PM

no it's woulda'...

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 327

09/05/2017 12:58 PM

I think the shutter is defective...

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 57

09/05/2017 1:33 PM

Oh yeah, and 4 polarized sunglasses lenses set at 90 degrees to each other, also do not work as a suitable filter for a reflecting telescope. Can you say instant melt through? Been there and tried that - back when I was in college. Stupid college tricks, but not stupid enough to have an eye on the receiving end - just a white piece of cardboard.

Good Answers: 539
In reply to #5

09/05/2017 4:07 PM

Yes, you definitely want your filter before the telescope, not after it!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

09/05/2017 4:18 PM

Yes - that incident certainly burned that rule into my mind.

Good Answers: 235
In reply to #7

09/07/2017 12:54 PM

I shutter to think of all the equipment damaged as protection is brought into focus.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 87
In reply to #5

09/07/2017 3:41 PM

If these filters are linearly polarized:

• 1st filter blocks the N-S(1) light
  • 2nd filter blocks the E-W light
  • 3rd filter receives almost no light.
  • 4th filter receives even less light than 3.
  • Camera 'sees' filter array as an opaque barrier.

If Helicaly polarized:

• If all oriented to the same chirality, the result should be the same as a single filter.
  • If oriented in alternating chirality, result would be the same as 4 linear filters.
( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #11

09/07/2017 4:56 PM

Well, they were stacked as noted, and the first one did attempt to block the light as noted, but that meant it absorbed enough energy to melt through, and the remainder followed the lead very quickly. Yeah - it was so quick it seemed instantaneous. Kind of like my Edmund Scientific burning lens I had as a child. (can they still sell those to minors???) Sun glasses are just plastic, you know - not glass. It was a real "duhhhh" moment for those of us involved. As I said - stupid college students.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
In reply to #12

09/08/2017 8:45 AM

"Kind of like my Edmund Scientific burning lens I had as a child. (can they still sell those to minors???)"

They're still legal to sell to minors, but these days they call them 'magnifying lenses' to avoid liability claims: "They started a fire with it? That was misuse of the product, the little warning slip had specific instructions to NOT use the magnifying lens to focus the Sun's rays on any object or person."

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #13

09/08/2017 9:41 AM

Great! They were specifically sold to burn and/or start fires back in the 1960's, and marketed to "young scientists". They weren't the best thing for your eyes either. I remember it created quite a bright spot they created on the surface they were focused onto. It is a wonder there are any companies still solvent after the 1950's/1960's considering what they sold to children. I guess lawyers just hadn't figured out the law suit potential for potentially harming a child at that time.

In reply to #14

09/08/2017 10:05 AM

"I guess lawyers just hadn't figured out the law suit potential for potentially harming a child at that time."

Well, back then we didn't have all these people clamoring to go to law school, which led to the law schools churning out no many lawyers, who all needed a job, and lawyer jobs are paid for by lawsuits. So the influx of lawyers in essence produced the highly litigious society we have today.

You did hear that many laboratories are phasing out using white rats in their experiments, and are starting to use lawyers. The laboratories see a threefold advantage to the change:

• There are more lawyers around than there are white rats.
  • The researchers do not get emotionally attached to the lawyers like they do with the rats.
  • There are some things a rat Just. Won't Do.

(Self marking as OT for the lawyer joke. Lawyers: after we are banned from making jokes about race, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, body shaming, or political identity, lawyers will remain as the last Acceptable Target.)

(okay, TWO lawyer jokes.)

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 143
In reply to #15

09/08/2017 10:31 AM

Joke Disclaimer: This joke may be considered rude and offensive by some individuals. If you are easily offended, please skip over this "off-topic" comment.

Yeah, two Washington, D.C. alligators from the same litter...

First one is a monster gator, the other a runt. Runt asks monster one, "Hey brother, how come you are getting so big? Where do you feed?"

Monster replies: "Why right here in the Congressional Parking Lot.I shake the poop out of them, and then eat them, mostly slow old Senators."

Runt retorts: "Hey I eat right here also? I wonder what the problem is?"

Monster: "What kind are you eating?"

Runt: "Well, almost all have been Democrats"

Monster: "There's your problem. Once you shake all the poop out of a Democrat there is nothing left but an anus with a briefcase!"

I presume such feeding habits could be extended to most lawyers as well.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #14

09/08/2017 10:23 AM

Now the lawsuits would be based on the numbers of red ants tortured to a more or less quick death by said lens under the care, custody, and control of a child.

If only Archimedes has used a focusing (long path) lens in front of the mirrors, the Roman fleet could have been repelled much better.

In reply to #17

09/08/2017 10:52 AM

Or, if the 'polished shield' theory is the one being examined, he could have instructed the Greek soldiers to polish the INSIDE of their shields, and used the concave sides to create a few hundred little 'death beams(1)' that together would have formed a giant death beam once they were aimed at the same target.

Kind of like that.

Notes:

1. Had to be careful with those single quote marks, I almost made that death beam sound WAY too much fun.
Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #13

09/08/2017 10:21 AM

That reminds of grape bricks folks could order from California during prohibition.

The instructions clearly stated:

(1) to prevent fermentation add 0.1% benzoate of soda

(2) Do not add contents to 1 US gallon of water

(3) Do not place (jar) in cool, dark place for up to a couple of weeks

(4) Warning: can produce an alcohol containing liquid upon long term standing once reconstituted.

The results of sales saved the California Wine Grape Industry, and even increased production during prohibition. The rest is history.

In reply to #5

09/08/2017 3:18 PM

"Well, they were stacked as noted, and the first one did attempt to block the light as noted, but that meant it absorbed enough energy to melt through, and the remainder followed the lead very quickly. Yeah - it was so quick it seemed instantaneous."
I just now realized my confusion:
When filtering light that is going through focusing lenses to be collected, it is traditional to put the filter BEFORE the focusing lenses, not AFTER. That way the energy the filter needs to absorb/dissipate is the normal level the filter is designed to deal with. very little can withstand the full force of sunlight focused onto a single point.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #20

09/08/2017 4:31 PM

Yeah - that's what Rixter said in post #6. As I told him - that certainly burnt that rule into my mind.

09/06/2017 1:19 PM

I hear something in the background, whispering ever so quietly, "I told you so".

Another one with a cow skull lying on the bare ground nearby: "You'll be sor-rry!"

Good Answers: 7

09/10/2017 4:40 PM

I've read several articles on the subject and the way to go is not "stacking filters", you need to use a certified solar filter.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

adreasler (5); James Stewart (4); phoenix911 (1); Phys (5); PWSlack (1); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (2); Tornado (1); truth is not a compromise (1); wmerryall (1)

Previous in Forum: Tax Robots To Save Voters Jobs?   Next in Forum: Chainsaw Oiler

Advertisement