CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Rental Camera Gear Destroyed by the Solar Eclipse of 2017   Next in Forum: Labeling PVC Bags
Close
Close
Close
21 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 1587

Chainsaw Oiler

09/05/2017 6:23 PM

Anybody ever actually replaced the chain oiler pump on a Poulan chain saw?

I've got the information, just looking for some tips from a hands-on person who may have done it themselves.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 1125

Re: Chain Saw Oiler

09/05/2017 6:35 PM

Wouldn't silicone be better?

In reply to #1

09/05/2017 6:49 PM

In a word, no. Lubricant must flow constantly as the fine wood particles carry away lubricant quickly. And clog everything including oil passages. Chain lube is 40-50 weight oil.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 209

09/05/2017 6:37 PM

No I have never done it, and I am sure you will get some stupid answers. After watching this you tube video, I think I could do it. I know you were looking for someone with experience, I know you know how to look it up. This is what I have, doesn't look to hard to me. If no one has done it, give it a try yourself, you have always struck me as someone that can do most anything.

In reply to #2

09/05/2017 7:14 PM

Thanks for that! Very thorough.

It may be as simple as cleaning the oil passages in the bar, I haven't taken anything apart yet. The saw is very low hours.

I have a new Echo saw if this one is a problem and I've topped the dead China Berry tree in the back yard (so no danger of falling limbs) I plan to have the lower trunk milled into lumber when it cools off.

Hope you are doing well.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

In reply to #4

09/05/2017 7:30 PM

So far, I think I am doing well, I feel better, won't know till Oct. 31st. I hope you are doing well. There were several you tube videos showing this. I would try it, with what I saw.

So now I'll give you your first stupid reply.....

If you pay to ship the saw and new parts to me, and pay to ship saw back after I rebuild oiler, I will do it for you for free. Money back guarantee......(no money paid to me)

That is the respect I have for you, how much can it be to ship a chainsaw from Arizona to Michigan, and back?.

By the way, thanks for asking how I am doing. You ask more then some of my family. (especially the ones that are beneficiaries of my life insurance... LOL)

In reply to #5

09/05/2017 7:43 PM

Thanks my friend, but I have Mow Power just a mile away, if it gets too difficult. I used them for all my work related 2 stroke repairs for years, when I worked. They treat me right.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

09/05/2017 7:59 PM

Hey, I knew you weren't going to send it to me, just saying, I think know I could do it.

It would cost you more to ship it back and forth then to have them do it, I should be done re-finishing my 40 year old oak kitchen table and chairs soon. Took me 3 days to sand and refinish table (very happy with it) but 2 and a half weeks to do first chair (lots of hand sanding), have a week and a half in second chair, hopefully done with that by this weekend, then only 2 more to do. Another month and I will be looking for a new project.

In reply to #7

09/05/2017 8:03 PM

Don't rush it.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 70
In reply to #7

09/06/2017 10:25 AM

Strip em' then hand sand and save weeks! Maybe months.

In reply to #9

09/06/2017 12:10 PM

I am using stripper, but because I am doing this in my yard, I opted for a citrus water based stripper not the nasty methylene chloride based stuff. A lot less effective but a whole lot safer and better for the environment.

Good Answers: 70
In reply to #10

09/06/2017 9:13 PM

Sanding chairs is fiddly work

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 152
In reply to #10

09/07/2017 9:30 AM

You should not be breathing the nasty stuff anyways. Limonene works just fine.

I re-worked an old rocking chair about two years ago, and now it is worth having around. I have another one that needs serious work on the chair back. I have not decided how to tackle that one, or if I will as yet. Many other irons in the fire, so to speak.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #4

09/06/2017 1:24 PM

Hey Lyn: If the China Berry tree trunk got that hot just topping it, you really do need that chain oiler to work properly. "I plan to have the lower trunk milled into lumber when it cools off."

The only chain saw I have is some off-brand electric chain saw, and I used it once again on a cedar elm of which half fell over during a freak micro-burst storm. I was surprised to find cedar elm wood so soft when still green.

Are you really sure your pump is not working? Maybe it actually is just stopped up, as you suggested in your subsequent post.

09/07/2017 3:39 AM

I haven't used a Poulan but if you go to youtube they have several films.

Joel

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 23

09/07/2017 10:05 AM

Lyn : The first thing to do is get a service manual for your saw ( you didn't mention what model saw you have ) if, a manual did not come with your saw when you purchased it.

I have a Stihl # 009. This saw came with a manual that shows :

A. Parts description

B. Exploded view.

C. Replacement part number guide.

Under various sections in the manual it describes how to service and repair different components and assemblies.

With respect to my saw, the most common parts to wear out are in this order : saw chain, chain bar, chain drive clutch, automatic oiler.

As directed by my manual, there are two important duties required :

A. Make sure oil pump is operating. This can be observed by loosening the chain bar adjustment screw, then removing the large nut that holds the right hand side case cover on, then lift chain away from chain clutch and setting chain and bar aside. Remove spark plug and pull starter cord several times until you see oil flow from oiler orifice.

B. After saw is used remove the aforementioned parts and give those parts a good cleaning before putting saw into storage.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #15

09/07/2017 10:47 AM

Thanks, I have the manual, but it doesn't give the detail You Tube does. A new oil pump kit is $16.00 and delivered in two days, so I'll tinker with it some more today, make a test cut, and then order the oil pump if I think it needs one.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #17

09/07/2017 11:11 AM

Ah, go ahead Lyn, splurge and order the new pump. Even if you don't need it, you will have your spare ready when it does. Support the American?? (probably Canadian) economy! I see the Poulan chainsaw was invented (1946) and sold out of Louisiana dating back to the early 1950's. Huskvarna is now the owner company, aren't they Swedes?

Re: Chain Saw Oiler-Update

09/07/2017 10:17 AM

I took the bar and chain off yesterday and thoroughly cleaned all the gunk out of the inside of the cover ans saw. I put it back together and ran it. It slings oil now and today I'll drain the oil and check the filter to be sure it's not clogged.

There's no quantitative way to test oil flow, just run it with the tip pointed at the ground and look for tiny bits of oil being slung off the end of the chain, which I'm getting now. I'd like to see a little more, but............................Checking filter today, then.................probably back on the shelf till it cools off.

I've got a good idea of how it's done thanks to JPool.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #16

Re: Chain Saw Oiler-Update

09/07/2017 11:18 AM

Glad I could help you out.

Re: Chainsaw Oiler-Final Report

09/07/2017 1:37 PM

OK, so I drained the chain oil, inspected the filter, clean as new, pressurized the oil chamber (got residual oil flow) and refilled it. Fired it up and had ample oil flow off the chain tip. Then I cut through a 6 inch log with no problem and oil was still flowing just fine. It's cleaned up and back on the shelf, ready to go!

So, I have two saws, two spare, sharp chains and will wait for cooler weather to fell the bottom half of the log and get it milled.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #20

Re: Chainsaw Oiler-Final Report

09/07/2017 1:43 PM

I am still trying to get up the nerve to make some giant sitting benches (as opposed to standing benches) from my big old catalpa sawn plankage from when the tree cutters felled that monster. Not a one is less than 3" thick, some closer to a 2x4's width (in thickness), about 2 feet wide, about 6 feet long. I can't even lift one by myself anymore. One end, yes, I can lift, and I can almost handle one by tilt and twist method, but then I have to lay it down somewhere, some time.

The one I gave my nephew, he tossed it in his pickup bed like it was nothing. I really am getting old.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

James Stewart (4); JE in Chicago (2); JMAY2174 (1); JPool (5); lyn (7); SolarEagle (1); tonyhemet (1)

Previous in Forum: Rental Camera Gear Destroyed by the Solar Eclipse of 2017   Next in Forum: Labeling PVC Bags

Advertisement