CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Engineering Immune Cells to Fight Cancer - FDA Approved!   Next in Forum: Hollow Shaft Gearbox Removal
Close
Close
Close
17 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 12

Anyone Own This Bandsaw?

09/06/2017 11:24 AM

The Bandsaw shown has a swivel head rather than a swivel vice and I have to buy one from interstate as there are none in South Australia (I am aware of). I would like to contact anyone who has one has one to get a true idea of it's capabilities. Tony

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 1086

Re: Anyone own this Bandsaw?

09/06/2017 11:49 AM

In reply to #1

09/06/2017 12:22 PM

Thank you for the reviews link. The ebay link was what I was looking at.

I have limited room in my workshop and currently have the fixed head and moving vice type band saw. This requires you swing the saw around for mitre cuts.

I have a high speed saw for aluminum mounted on pair of rails with supports and stops and was hoping to mount this on the same frame aligning the base and back of the vice with the high speed saw to save room.

I see two major disadvantages with the proposed one. Cutting through 125 dia. bar would require hanging onto the handle for a long time and it cannot be set in a vertical orientation.

Tony

In reply to #2

09/06/2017 12:52 PM

Well you could make a jig for vertical placement and use a bungy cord or weight for holding cutting pressure...cutting through 5" solid bar is a lot to ask, is this just aluminum?....It's really a question of how much use will be required...I think I would consider a local metal working shop to cut my stock for me if it was just an occasional need...

...maybe some ideas here....

https://www.pinterest.com/homemadetools/homemade-bandsaws/

In reply to #3

09/07/2017 8:51 PM

Thank you for the link SolarEagle, a number of useful ideas there. I mainly make prototypes of ideas and farm out anything outside my capacity. I also design around laser cut components.

It is for Steel, Aluminum, Timber and Plastic, but mainly for fabricating steel frames and cutting aluminum sections. For the occasional job similar to the picture I may hang onto my existing band saw and make a better vice for these small cutting jobs. I can get steel and aluminum bar supplied, cut to size, but not at 4 pm on a Sunday.

With Mild Steel I often tack a faced round bar on the back of a disk, face and machine both sides, remove the bar, then lightly grip the disk in the 3 jaw and square it up with an aluminum block rubbing against the already machined face to finally machine it.

I also tack square bar onto small sections to cut them in the band saw, not so good on exotic steels!

Tony

Good Answers: 143

Re: Anyone Own This Bandsaw?

09/06/2017 1:47 PM

No, I didn't lose a band saw anywhere, sorry. Are you sure this one isn't yours?

I liked the idea about the homemade, DIY band saws, those sound "ultra-safe" - brought to you by the "hold my beer, and watch this" crowd.

Good Answers: 120

09/06/2017 2:21 PM

The biggest problem I have had with these small band saws is the lifetime of the blades. Even if you are carefull with the correct blade speed and feed rate for the material you are cutting, the constant flexing around the small diameter wheels fatigues the blade to the point that it breaks before it gets dull. This is even worse for the more expensive bi-metalic blades.

In reply to #5

09/07/2017 11:29 AM

I currently own one of the small Taiwanese band saws and get excellent life from the bi metal blades and haven't had one break yet. I hope I don't regret those words!

Today I discovered this, which maybe a better option, covering Steel, Aluminum and Timber. Tony

In reply to #6

09/07/2017 1:28 PM

I have one similar to this made by DeWalt. I use it extensively to cut aluminum extrusions, aluminum bar stock, plastics, and low carbon steel with excellent results, and I get good life from the 12" 80 tooth carbide blades designed for metal cutting. And it is a lot faster than a band saw

One consideration is the ability to securely clamp round stock so that it won't spin when the blade first starts the cut.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 327
In reply to #9

09/07/2017 1:30 PM

One consideration is the ability to securely clamp round stock so that it won't spin when the blade first starts the cut.

And that's why one has to consider paying a little more for a quality piece. (as well as maybe an extra holding fixture.

In reply to #9

09/07/2017 8:08 PM

Thanks Gringogreg

I only found out yesterday that these multi-cutting blades exist.

That's good news that a larger version is available, what is the Model of your DeWalt one and what did it cost? I'm happy to make up a better holding device. What is it's maximum capacity in Mild Steel?

There a several agents for DeWalt in South Australia but I can't see that type listed, it may not be available here and in 240v.

Tony

In reply to #11

09/08/2017 9:39 AM

One problem with my DeWalt is you have to swivel the vise to make a miter cut, which goes back to your original problem. Also it can't make compound miter cuts.

As far as the capacity in mild steel, I don't know. I purchased this saw and primarily use it to cut Aluminum extrusions (80/20™) up to 3" X 3" but the maximum vise capacity is 6"

If I were to purchase another one, I would give serious consideration to the Evolution model that you have been looking at.

In reply to #13

09/08/2017 10:58 AM

We have the type in South Australia you have. I brought the Evolution one today. The DeWalt compound mitre saws are available and I was told I just needed to change the blade, but I noticed The Evolution one runs at one third of the speed of the ones used for Aluminum, a necessary compromise. Also the DeWalt is about A$1300 instead of A$400. I'll post when I've used it for while. Thanks all of you for your help.

Tony

In reply to #15

09/08/2017 11:15 AM

Yes, please do provide us all with an update on this. I am considering replacing my Whitton.

In reply to #11

09/08/2017 10:57 AM

I imagine if you really shop the DeWalt web site, you might find something like this:

Is DeWalt FlexVolt an option for you? I still could not find out if the charging adapter is switchable to 220 VAC or not, but sometimes there is the little switch on the device for that. You would have to contact them and find out prior to ordering.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 327

09/07/2017 11:30 AM

So an abrasive cut off saw is out of the question?

In reply to #7

09/07/2017 12:14 PM

They are cheap, but if the saw head is fixed then the whole machine or the material needs to be swung around for a mitre cut and I want to cut aluminum too, I imagine this would clog an abrasive disc.

The other disadvantage is the decreasing diameter of the blade.

Have a look at the video, it's quite awesome.

Tony

In reply to #8

09/08/2017 9:49 PM

I like the blade he's using, but they don't show what it is....

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

gringogreg (3); James Stewart (3); phoenix911 (2); SolarEagle (3); Tonymech (6)

Previous in Forum: Engineering Immune Cells to Fight Cancer - FDA Approved!   Next in Forum: Hollow Shaft Gearbox Removal

Advertisement