CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Importance of 3DS Max Software   Next in Forum: Engineers and Their Importance
Close
Close
Close
6 comments
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

Good Answers: 209

More Oroville Video

09/07/2017 6:04 PM

drone footage from DWR

dept water resources.

plenty of roller compacted concrete shots, pressure washing of bedrock prior to dental and leveling concrete to ensure better adhesion.remember the RCC walls are just for this season then they get demo'd and replaced with erosion resistant concrete permanently. the 30 foot walls shown at the end stay.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 68

Re: more Oroville video

09/07/2017 6:21 PM

That's pretty low resolution, but interesting none the less.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

Good Answers: 209
In reply to #1

09/07/2017 6:26 PM
Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 767

09/08/2017 9:10 AM

I wonder if they intend on using some form of water seal (Thompson's?) on the concrete surfaces. I'm not sure if it will merit the effort. To coin a phrase; It couldn't hurt.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 143
In reply to #3

09/08/2017 12:10 PM

Maybe something better, and a non-cracking concrete material that is stable to the applied seasonal stresses is not a bad idea, either.

How about liquidized waste rubber tires?

Has anyone ever experimented with water absorbing materials that expand upon wetting, yet allow the passage of great volumes of water at low velocity? I see this something like a giant spill absorber (except not for oil), lying almost flat on the spillway, until she overflows, then instead of allowing the flow to gain all that momentum, the absorbent expands, contains the entire flow profile, yet provides sufficiently low impedance to not back up all that water.

Instead of the water flowing in a shallow, wide, high velocity profile over the spillway run, I am just asking is there a sound engineering way to make a much deeper, wide, but lower velocity flow profile somehow?

Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 10

Re: More Oroville Video

09/08/2017 12:22 PM

Wow! What a project, and what interesting videos! I hope they become required viewing at least in some college construction management curricula...

I'm glad to see they finally got busy with such major repair efforts. Completed repairs may wind up costing more than the entire original Oroville Dam... Wish I was still young enough to be working on such a job...

(...and no bureaucratic beancounter would have signed-off on spending one-hundredth of those repair costs before the recent near-disasterous dam failure...)

The type of cement used in the top layer of concrete will be the (sealing agent) without anything additional being applied to the sloping channel surfaces...

(...unless a reeeeeeally good ''sales-job'' was done on the gov con reps, before hand...)

But, it remains to be seen if they can get enough done in time for the next rains...

They seem to be meeting a rather tight schedule, so far...

It will be interesting to see what the final configuration of the baffles will look like...

It should take quite a bit longer for these repairs to ''pipe-out'' too,,,

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 767
In reply to #5

Re: More Oroville Video

09/08/2017 1:20 PM

It often costs more to repair a cheap job than to "do it right" in the first place. (IMHO A fired bean counter's salary should partly pay for every expensive repair from cutting a few corners. I know, I'm dreaming.)

As for their schedule, remember the only runoff down this spillway is excess water. If they do meet the November dead line then the spring high volume of water from winter pack melt will be a good 4 to 6 months later. This should be a reasonable amount of curing time.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Fredski (1); James Stewart (1); JE in Chicago (1); MR. Guest (1); redfred (2)

Previous in Forum: Importance of 3DS Max Software   Next in Forum: Engineers and Their Importance

Advertisement