CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Sunspots   Next in Forum: Coincidence?
Close
Close
Close
59 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 1558

How's Your Credit Score?

09/09/2017 12:45 AM

My information has been stolen 3 times in the last 4 years, now make that 4 times.

Colleges, health insurance providers, one other that I don't remember right now, and now this.

How can this be prevented, and never using the internet is not an acceptable answer.

Will my coffee pot betray me next? My smart thermostat? Maybe it'll be my wi-fi programmable LED light bulbs?

Does anyone have any reasonable ideas?

Coffee cans buried in the back yard don't count.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1087

Re: How's Your Credit Score?

09/09/2017 1:39 AM

Well I think we all know the answer to that, better encryption ...I have had my credit card numbers stolen 3 times in the last year or so....It was discovered because the Bank I do business with sent an alert to my phone alerting me to check on a charge that had been made on my card, when I messaged back that I didn't, they deny the attempted charge and issue me a new credit card....but that doesn't account for somebody using your identity to open a new credit card that may harm your credit rating when the bogus card becomes delinquent for payments due....I also had somebody paying their bills with my credit card number, I discovered that by checking my credit card account charges, which I do regularly, and found payments to companies that I don't do business with, I called the bank, who contacted the company, and requested an identity of who was using my number, my account was credited on 4 different instances when this attempt was made....I guess eventually the credit fraud police people caught up with them because the charges stopped....So it's a constant battle that requires vigilance on your part, and your bank's part....The problem is that a lot of companies don't require identity at point of sale, or the 3 number code, or that the user is the owner of the card with his or her name on it...

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 327
In reply to #1

09/09/2017 7:08 AM

I was on vacation, and I received an alert from my credit card company where it there was a questionable purchased, I confirmed it and canceled it. I had them send a new card to me where I was staying, (my girlfriends sisters family) Fortunately I had a spare Credit Card.

thats why I never use an ATM card... and if I do, I use it as a credit card, because you have more safe guards where the Credit card company takes responsibility for false purchases.

Guru

Good Answers: 235

09/09/2017 4:57 AM

For any existing credit cards you have, regularly checking your account for charges you didn't initiate/approve is the best protection.

For other types of fraud involving opening new lines of credit, checking accounts isn't a defence, since you wouldn't know about those accounts. There are two things to do:

- review your own credit. Get your free annual report from each of the three bureaus, Experian, Equifax and Transunion. Check not only for any accounts you have not set up, but also for erroneous late payments, charge offs or other credit negatives. Also verify that only your correct address and other info shows.

- lock down your credit. To be more secure, place a security freeze on your credit with each of the three bureaus. This will require a password for any credit check. This will keep someone without the password from establishing any credit that requires a credit check. The bureaus each sell products around this service, but payment is not required.

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action

https://www.freeze.equifax.com/Freeze/jsp/SFF_PersonalIDInfo.jsp

https://www.transunion.com/credit-freeze/place-credit-freeze

https://www.experian.com/freeze/center.html

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 744

09/09/2017 8:07 AM

Sharia law for perpetrators.

Location: Baytown Tx. USA where you get your gasoline,chemicals,plastics and floods
Good Answers: 5
In reply to #4

09/11/2017 5:35 AM

That is too kind.

Twice for me, bank detected it both times. Once for over 10K$, the second when i ordered a line laser from Canada.

09/09/2017 12:35 PM

I think that this problem is insoluble. As soon as new safeguards are in place, the algorithms to break it are already running.

I also think that organizations that keep our personal data stored in ways that are vulnerable don't really care if their customers get hacked and compromised.

By the time one of the "free" credit reporting systems find out that your information has been used in a crime, it's too late.

Equifax has set up its own program to help people find out if they were one of the millions affected in the hack. It includes a tool that lets you check to see if you were affected and a program, Trusted ID, that may help prevent identity theft. But, be aware: the checker that lets you know if you were hacked might be broken and -- per the above note -- enrolling in the program might prevent you from participating in a class-action lawsuit against the company.

And, in order to enroll in this program you are asked to give the last 6 digits of your SSN, leaving only three digits for future hackers to solve. Other programs I checked wanted your COMPLETE SSN right up front.

In GB they have the Data Protection Act 1998 - Wikipedia I have no idea if it does any good?

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 202

09/09/2017 2:10 PM

I must be lucky, this has not happened to me yet. I use my debit card every where, stores, gas stations, restaurants, amazon, online bill pays, etc......

Am I just waiting for it to happen?

In reply to #6

09/09/2017 2:51 PM

Yes, you are. Your recent bout with your health has surely put your information in lots of data bases.

One of my thefts was from my health insurance provider and one was from a community college I attended 30 years ago, so your time is overdue.

Good luck!

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 202
In reply to #7

09/09/2017 3:05 PM

And I just paid my medical bill with Beaumont online....oh my....

Good Answers: 21

09/09/2017 2:53 PM

Then, BLUNTLY maybe such repositories of personal data collected WITHOUT a persons consent should be shutdown and outlawed?!

In reply to #8

09/09/2017 3:06 PM

Let's start with Windoze 10!

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Member United States - Member - Army Vet in the aviation industry

Good Answers: 94
In reply to #10

09/10/2017 12:18 PM

And follow that up with the Fed's OPM (Office of Personnel Management) which is the organization that has put my personal info at the greatest risk so far.

Hooker

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

In reply to #15

09/10/2017 12:28 PM

NOTHING is safe once it get's stored in any medium that can be accessed by a computer.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru
Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Member United States - Member - Army Vet in the aviation industry

In reply to #16

09/10/2017 12:44 PM

Agreed, 100%.

But the least secure systems on earth are mostly Federal non-military systems connected to the net. They are pretty much 10-15 years behind on network security technology with little central coordination for improving their condition, not to mention lack of know-how.

Oh, and it doesn't help to hire untrained and unvetted foreign nationals to manage security and sensitive information.

Hooker

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #17

09/10/2017 1:29 PM

How true! We have a dysfunctional self-serving Congress th thank for that. Most of those systems are 20 years old, or worse.

They hire IT people/companies who don't know what the systems really need to do and then leave an unusable mess behind to be sorted out by the next IT "expert".

There is no one in the organization to specify the system needs so they get someone else's idea of what they need.

It's like Congress trying to "fix" health care when they know nothing about health care but plenty about their lobbyists/benefactor's needs and that's usually more money for them.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #18

09/10/2017 4:17 PM

Believe me, I have beat on my elected reps for everything you write about and much more.

For them, it's still business as usual, even with an outsider elected to the White House.

Hooker

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #21

09/10/2017 4:46 PM

Me too! We, and all voters, have no voice when they collect bribes from special interests.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 68
In reply to #22

09/10/2017 7:56 PM

Are you saying people ever had a voice? That a citizen could make changes to the system resulting in a widespread and/or personal victory? Changes that reflect what's 'right and just' by mere pronouncement.

All with fiscal efficiency and speed of course.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 143
In reply to #18

09/11/2017 1:50 PM

You mean like that guy from Pakistan that was "working for" DWS?

In reply to #30

09/11/2017 2:40 PM

It wasn't just "that guy".

It was most of his family and a bunch of his friends. Working for the most incompetent Congress critters on the face of the earth, who defended them to the hilt.

Hooker

Register to Reply
Guru

09/09/2017 5:22 PM

Equifax hackers make their demands known: $2.6USD million or the data gets dumped

http://techaeris.com/2017/09/08/equifax-hackers-deman-2-6usd-million/

..."I know of at least one lawsuit already being filed and if that data is indeed dumped for all to see, there will be more to come. Users can go to the Equifax website to see if they were affected by this hack. If you do search to see if you’ve been affected, you may be giving up your right to sue Equifax, although the New York Attorney General has mentioned that clause is unenforceable and should be removed."...

Good Answers: 21
In reply to #11

09/09/2017 5:28 PM

But, supposedly, you must notify Equifax IN WRITING within 30 days to opt-out of their "band-aid" offer.

We're getting a lawyer to draft our letter to Equifax...stating "class action" pending.

Good Answers: 40
In reply to #11

09/11/2017 5:20 PM

"Oh , yeah , GREAT" ... and "thanks-for-that"...

Just what I needed at this point : more "fear-incitement"...(!)

I'm willing to bet "dollars-to-donuts" that EVERYBODY gets this SAME ⇑ response...

...part of a "mega-supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" AD campaign, to get people to sign-up for "identity protection" services...

Where's that island on which Tom Hanks was a Castaway...? I need a REAL getaway, now that I think about it.

Not only are all banks and credit unions probably in collusion, trying to get us all to PAY (on a "subscription"/"forever" basis) for our "privacy/security" ... but our own government probably has an agency "heading-it-all-up"...

(((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #34

09/12/2017 8:50 AM

So how much data are you storing in the "cloud". This is not your grandfather's cloud.

Last thing I want is Microsot holding my data hostage in the cloud, and me unable to log in and "save" it.

Sometimes progress comes as one step forward and about three or four steps backward.

In reply to #39

09/12/2017 2:16 PM

As little as is humanly possible... ("data in the cloud").

What I haven't yet figured-out {cleaning out the final few bits}, is how to get the couple hundred photos outta-the-cloud that my iPhone somehow surreptitiously stored in a "Photo Stream".....{?where, I don't know!}

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #44

09/12/2017 3:39 PM

Yes, strange things happen. Maybe this cloud is the infamous 4D universe.

In reply to #34

09/12/2017 1:09 PM

Yep, that's exactly what I got too.

I've started the process for "free" protection. They put me on their waiting list, but at least I have a place in line.

Problem is it's easy enough to just wait out the year and then sell our information to thieves then.

I look for ZERO help from the Republican administration who are busy removing ALL financial safeguards put into place by the former, honest administration for just these things.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #42

09/12/2017 2:03 PM

Lyn: Puuleease!

In reply to #42

09/12/2017 2:24 PM

..."honest administration"... hA! "You phunny-guy, make-uh-me-raff!"

I'm guessing (?) that I should be hearing a DEAFENING cynicism in that comment.

If not ... might I send you {for starters} a nice, well-read but gently handled "re-orientation" / "beginner's-guide"...(?)

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #45

09/12/2017 2:48 PM

Lyn gets his political material from 'Occupy Democrats'.... , he just doesn't know where they get it...

I think I'm going to make a deposit,... so lyn can have some fresh material to work with...

In reply to #46

09/12/2017 3:36 PM

Read the executive orders (not propaganda) to see what actual actions have been taken to roll back consumer protections, which is what this thread is about. PROTECTING CONSUMERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get your head out of your a$$.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #47

09/12/2017 3:41 PM

Cash talks, BS walks, apparently, some of us got the BS platinum card from Experian.

In reply to #47

09/12/2017 4:59 PM

Your problem Lyn you pass along so much BS, it doesn't matter, nor is it worth sorting through your BS to find something relevant....

here,... I got some fresh stuff for you to play in and to pass along, it's much better than the other old BS you spread.

Btw,... I had Mexican last night, so enjoy...

09/09/2017 8:57 PM

In our area, there is a increase of credit card skimmers that thieves are putting on gas pumps. Where they read your credit card information. Since everything as I understand is put on your magnetic strip.

Good Answers: 767
In reply to #13

09/10/2017 2:15 AM

That's becoming a bit less of a problem with the newer chipped cards.

If you have one of those and don't want your magnetic strip read you can easily wipe it clean with a neodymium magnet or sand it off with fine sandpaper thus making your card a chip only one.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 18

09/10/2017 3:27 PM

Smash your smartphone and computers.

In reply to #19

09/10/2017 3:59 PM

It's too late for that. Smart phones and computers are now the only way to determine when you have been compromised. (Not if)

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 6

09/11/2017 9:38 AM

Too bad you can't just request a New SSN# and then just encrypt that.

Register to Reply
Guru

09/11/2017 10:10 AM

My recent experience has left me utterly convinced that the root of the problem goes deeper than any of us ever imagined.

The last time MY credit card was 'hacked', I immediately signed-up for "Purchase Alerts" with my new, replacement card. Every purchase I make with it (in person OR online) gives a message to my phone within "milliseconds".

So, all was well, until August 24 ... finishing my 1st cup of coffee at work, my phone dings-in:

? ! W-H-U-T-T-H-E...?! "Ok, stay calm" ... so I immediately called the number on the back of my card. After negotiating the nonsensical labyrinth of computerized extensions, I finally managed to speak with not one, not two, but three different people, before that 3rd gal assured me that a new card would soon be in-the-mail, and, that they WOULD "dispute" that charge for me.

So, feeling somewhat "relieved", I got back to business (which included checking my emails... work and personal). Lo-and-behold, WHILE I was on the phone, an email had arrived:

? ! W-H-U-T-T-H-E...?! "Ok"... WE HAVE "something to work with!"

The perpetrator had hacked my account to use my POINTS for making the reservation, putting the BALANCE on the card...!

Internet, here we come! I proceeded to find the resort at which the reservation had been made, and, obtained 3 email addresses via which to "Contact" them.

I forwarded the (above) email to all 3 addresses, editing the subject line to "Fraudulent Reservation!", and explained therein. I also contacted the "Points" system-handlers and informed THEM.

To ALL, I had suggested: "Feel free to have the police standing-by when mr ahmad attempts to check-in".....

Well ... <<sigh>>//<<groan>>!!!

Me thinx that me now has a bit of a semblance of a sensation as to what it must feel like, to be a baker-in-jail with 'fines-galore' being jacked-up against-me by some judge, all because *I* didn't want to "participate" in a certain kind of "celebration".

7 days after my <original> card was cancelled, the new one arrived, which I could then see online at my account. AND <sigh>, there was that charge, transferred-onto the NEW account...(?!?)

I went into my local branch, and..... {{^%$#@!*&^%}}....

"Oh, Yes", they *would* in fact "dispute" that charge for me... but ONLY AFTER I came-in in-person to officially SIGN a declaration that I had not had anything to do with that purchase...(!?!)

IF that was the case, WHY didn't that gal on the phone on "day #1" TELL me that...?!

Well ... I hadn't heard NUTHIN yet...

Long story short, the charge is STILL on my <new> account, because the banks BY LAW have 10 days before they have to "push the button" to make it go away.

SOOooooo ... (they have a timer) .... they purposefully WAIT that period.

A N D ... mr ahmad enjoyed his 5-star-stay quite nicely, thank-y'all very much, because ... well ... I am not even going to say it here(!!)

The manager at the bank did his very best to assure me that "there is nothing to worry about"... *I* <guaranteed> will not suffer one penny... and, the bank will not suffer one penny...

This is how the "system" works ... and, we all need to just keep "letting it work"...

"There is no cloud".... there is no darkness..... there is no evil......... everything is just fine, absolutely hunky-dorey............. go back to work now.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #26

09/11/2017 11:04 AM

Wow nearly 2 g's for one night, that guy is livin' in style...uh, on your dime....

In reply to #27

09/11/2017 4:48 PM

I would SAY (with absolute confidence) that "it ain't on MY dime", except that it was 9/6 when I "officially signed" the declaration of "zero-responsibility" for the charge(s).

SOOooo (as stated), they have BY LAW 10 days to make it go-away....

Thus, it will be the 21st (since "weekends don't count!"), before I can come back here to say, at THAT point: "it wasn't on 'my dime'..." !

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #32

09/11/2017 5:01 PM

It really hurts people to steal their identity! Imagine walking around after loss of face.

That is why losing face was a tremendous problem in Japan.

In reply to #33

09/11/2017 5:39 PM

Uh ... "yeah" ... grew-up being frightened by various (Rod Serling, etc) interpretations of "losing face" . . .

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #33

09/11/2017 5:44 PM

If this is all you have to offer, sit on your hands, please!

It is not funny, humorous nor respectful to a race that understands their deeply ingrained culture better than you ever possibly will.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #36

09/12/2017 8:46 AM

You don't have much of a sense of humor, as usual.

I understand their culture better than you think I do.

As far as identity theft goes, I think the punishment for those that engage in it, as well as looters should be some form of slow death. Maybe they should be forced to chain smoke 5 packs of cigarettes per day, or something. Or they could be lectured by you for at least 8 hours. That should about do it.

Thanks, Lyn, have a nice day!

In reply to #33

09/11/2017 6:19 PM

On a similar note, Personal integrity is a thing of the past where now ones word or a hand shake means jack chit.

fortunately, there are a few that still knows the value of integrity.

As far as losing face, one needs to now and a again be humbled.

In reply to #27

09/19/2017 2:24 PM

Well ... I am back to state ... (unequivocally) ... mr. ahmad's stay was NOT on "my dime"...((())) ... (the charge came OFF).

H-O-W-E-V-E-R....(!?!) as absotively posilutely UNBELIEVABLE as it may sound...

no-sooner was THAT taken care of, than my other {FAR more important}, DEBIT card got hit with fraudulent charges...

And . . . (((doh!/Doh!!/DOH!!!))) <<Smakking forehead>>

I am NEVER AGAIN handing that card to somebody "taking donations" (at a shopping center), having a "dongle-swiper" on their PHONE so they can "accept plastic"...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #52

09/19/2017 2:28 PM

Debit is more vulnerable that credit... where credit cards will reimburse you for fraudulent charges, if reported promptly... your debit card on the otherhand, if its been compromised... that cash (your cash) is gone.

On my debit, my agreement,... yes I looked through it... when ever I make a purchase with it,... I always choose credit,... even though it takes it immediately straight of my account. This way it protects from fraud through VISA or MasterCard.

In reply to #52

09/19/2017 3:49 PM

Brings a whole entire new meaning to Harvey Wall-bangers!

Why punish yourself for someone else's sins? You didn't do it.

Go out and prosper and be happy, that you are alive and more or less well enough to interact with your buddies. Some folks have nothing more and find some reason to smile every day.

I smile you! You smile too!

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 262

09/11/2017 11:59 AM

Identity theft isn’t limited to the electronic realm.

I’m in an unconventional living circumstance right now – renting a portion of a large house, this house also having two other rentable spaces besides the master suite.

There was a recent tenant who was quite a character. This 60 year old woman practiced idiosyncrasies by the dozen, kept the hours of a tomcat, and she lied lied lied lied lied about herself. On a Thursday she announced she was going on a two day trip, see you guys later. Three weeks later, no show. An individual shows up unannounced and says she wants a few of the items from the room rented to our subject. After some discussion, this was allowed.

Another two weeks pass without another word from her, the rent due date also passes. The amount of time required by law had passed, the room is considered abandoned, and the room is cleared of her belongings… well, some of the things in her room belonged to her.

Among the mixed worthless crap left behind is a pile of mail – none of it addressed to her. All of this mail regards financial information of our neighbors, and there are a number of checks not made out in her name.

Also discovered was a ledger – this contains names, emails, account numbers, bank routing numbers, passwords… Dozens and dozens of entries.

Some of these identity compromises are still being done the old fashioned way.

In reply to #28

09/12/2017 8:53 AM

So this lady, did not "go missing", she "disappeared off the radar". By the way, I recant that term "lady" as it would not be an apt description.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 262
In reply to #40

09/12/2017 11:06 AM

Yep, off of our radar anyway.

She is, however, a radar search target for whomever it is that investigates and prosecutes mail theft.

09/11/2017 1:48 PM

Wifey and I watched an Experian commercial on TV yesterday, wherein they seek new customers wanting to know if their information is on the dark web.

Wifey stated that Experian was in the news just last week for being hacked.

So much for that idea. Over.

09/12/2017 5:03 PM

Let's get back to the hack, OK?

Register to Reply
Power-User

Location: Baytown Tx. USA where you get your gasoline,chemicals,plastics and floods

09/20/2017 2:53 PM

Bottom line , why would I care?

I pay for everything in cash. I learned from my dad who never financed anything from cars to homes. His statement was " If you cant afford it don't buy it".

Now he was the CEO of the Minneapolis St. Paul credit Bureau and refused to buy anything on credit. He refused to give money to banks.

I inherited his wealth and for that am well off now. I have to state that the need for "immigrate gratification" in todays society will be the downfall of the youth of today.

In reply to #55

09/20/2017 3:43 PM

Immigrant gratification?? Wow...talk about cowtowing to the left...

Did you mean...immediate gratification? I correct people because I find it annoyingly gratifying to me. Just annoying to them, sorry.

Have a nice day bro. I like your ideas.

In reply to #56

09/20/2017 3:51 PM

Immigrant gratification??

That's what happens when spellchecker overtakes.

Sorry!

In reply to #56

09/20/2017 3:59 PM

I correct people because I find it annoyingly gratifying to me.

Me 2. OK we are the same mind.

Texans never die, we just smell that way.

In reply to #58

09/20/2017 4:03 PM

Gig 'em!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

70AARCuda (2); agua_doc (1); corbinstein (1); Doorman (2); Hooker (4); James Stewart (12); JE in Chicago (1); JPool (2); lyn (11); ndt-tom (7); phoenix911 (6); ronc (4); SolarEagle (3); tcmtech (1); Tornado (1); truth is not a compromise (1)

Previous in Forum: Sunspots   Next in Forum: Coincidence?

Advertisement