CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: How's Your Credit Score?   Next in Forum: Water Valve Timer
Close
Close
Close
63 comments
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

Good Answers: 209

Coincidence?

09/10/2017 11:49 AM

I came across this and it has me thinking. I never saw or heard of this linkage before.

not to mention a whopper 8+ shaker in Mexico. Could solar activity be similar to a foreshock before an earthquake? I can't recall hurricanes stacking up in a row as we have now bizarre

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 744

Re: Coincidence?

09/10/2017 3:04 PM

Please learn about the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy.

Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 416
In reply to #1

09/14/2017 8:51 PM

Is that the same as "Al Gore/Michael Moore said it, therefore it must be true"?

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 327
In reply to #57

09/15/2017 7:37 AM

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 143
In reply to #58

09/15/2017 9:02 AM

Speaking of large toads, have not been seeing much of the large toad lately.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #59

09/15/2017 9:08 AM

I think they're trying to reinvent themselves to become relevant.

Considering they threatened to move out of the country if they didn't get their way and got disappointed when no one try to stop them from moving.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #60

09/15/2017 9:55 AM

I understand there are still free tickets awaiting any celebs that wish to leave (once and for all). I am sure some deserving Dreamer would be happy to take their place.

Good Answers: 767
In reply to #61

09/16/2017 5:25 PM

Well, Supposedly madonna is/has left the country to never return.

madonna moving to portugal permanently.

kathy griffin is also suposedly preparing to leave for the next 4 or more years as well.

kathy griffin leaving US four four years.

Not holding my breath but if the reports prove true it's a good start!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #62

09/16/2017 6:22 PM

Madonna who?

Good Answers: 543

09/10/2017 3:07 PM

I can remember hurricanes stacking up just as they are now, a couple years back at this time of year. (It looked like Africa had a hurricane gun and was launching them toward North America.) The ocean has been heating up all summer and is primed with water vapor to fuel the growth of hurricanes.

I cannot imagine any possible physical connection between sunspots, hurricanes, and earthquakes. It's just a coincidence.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1558

09/10/2017 4:07 PM

I have it on good authority that they are a liberal plot!

Rush Limbaugh is safe. After telling his listeners that the warnings about Hurricane Irma were a scam to promote a climate change "agenda" and boost bottled water sales.

It all started with the total eclipse, which was also staged by libtards, I'm sure.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 4)
Guru

In reply to #3

09/10/2017 5:15 PM

Yea, Fact checking shows the real story, as ol Rush can tell you personally, and it sounds nothing like the liberals are trying to spin what he said to mean or imply.

Rush Limbaugh talks about hurricane Irma and consumer goods supply chain oddities.

As a obviously liberal can you explain why your people do their damnedest to lie and deceive despite the now impossibley obvious fact that everyone can fact check you on everything you and your like minded claim?

Are these just the lies you tell yourselves in order to keep you precious little mental safe space rooms intact form having to accept just how pathetically hypocritical and ignorant so much of your views of reality and general actions in life are?

Register to Reply Score 2 for Off Topic
Guru

In reply to #4

09/10/2017 5:40 PM

Fact checking works both ways, really. I'll listen to the blow hard sometime. It's obvious that you are a fan of the Rusher! Sorry for you. That doesn't make you or him any smarter. Just windier. Like a fart!

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

Good Answers: 38
In reply to #5

09/11/2017 12:12 PM

Look up the Johnny Carson toilet paper shortage of 1973 if you think that media hype can't drive an unreasonable response.

Guru

In reply to #4

09/10/2017 5:59 PM

Transcript of the fat man's ramblings:

"Now, in the official meteorological circles, you have an abundance of people who believe that man-made climate change is real." Maybe that's because they are real scientists, with real degrees in real science subjects, and not blow hards like some!

The he said" "But it doesn’t matter because the bias is built in. So there is a desire to advance this climate change agenda, and hurricanes are one of the fastest and best ways to do it. You can accomplish a lot just by creating fear and panic. You don’t need a hurricane to hit anywhere. All you need is to create the fear and panic accompanied by talk that climate change is causing hurricanes to become more frequent and bigger and more dangerous, and you create the panic, and it’s mission accomplished, agenda advanced."

Bull$hit Rush, you supply the bias! Because you're so ignorant you can't understand science and engineering?

"Now, how do you do this? Well, any number of ways. Let’s take south Florida television, for example. There is symbiotic relationship between retailers and local media, and it’s related to money. It revolves around money."

And, I suppose the fat one does his work for free?

I'd rather be a liberal than an idiot!

Guru

Good Answers: 68
In reply to #6

09/10/2017 6:58 PM

It's terribly impolite to call people fat.. Of course if that's your measure of a 'bad person' then you probably don't really know right from wrong.

Dedelup dedelup dedelup

.... facts so factual it can drive the common man to toss rational thought in a bowl with used motor oil and cleaning vinegar for consumption by anyone in earshot.

In reply to #7

09/10/2017 7:41 PM

But it's OK to call people liars?

"can you explain why your people do their damnedest to lie and deceive despite

Are these just the lies you tell yourselves"

I know where your allegiance is. Political correctness went away when a certain person entered the race for president.

Guru

In reply to #9

09/10/2017 8:00 PM

Yes, it's nice to be able to once again call someone in a lying idiot for what they are and not have to be politically correct.

Oh, wait. I still called lying idiot a lying idiot even when political correctness was all the rage since that is not where my fake moral allegiances lay.

As for Rush I rarely listen to him so once again you have assumed wrong. Same with transcripts or actual commentaries he or anyone else makes. Your inability to separate your want to see and hear things your way to fit your agenda does not in fact make the message different. If anything it just shows how desperate you are to avoid reality for what it actually is.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 68
In reply to #9

09/10/2017 9:01 PM

Honestly I too only listen to Rush a few times a year or less. I was weaned on wls/Larry lujak/ck etc. I remember Rush's first broadcast etc. Besides all of that. MOST Media and the information provided is overblown and underwhelming.

Political correctness? Who's side I'm on?

After all this time you still have no idea.

No prob. I listen to myself above all.

I never listen to or direct attention to people I would consider ranting and raving lunatics. Never. why would I?

The question you don't need to answer is why do you?

I don't consider you a lunatic.

In reply to #7

09/10/2017 9:11 PM

Yep, you can always tell whose liberal by the unjustified name calling and labeling then whining when it's done to them.

And BTW, most informed people know that ol Rush hasn't been fat for years and being bald-ish has no relevance to the credibility or discredibility of anyone any more than being heavier set than the average person. (who rush doesn't really stand out from now anyway.)

I'd say it's rather bigoted and borderline racist to think that a person's outward appearance has any value in determining who they are and to what societal values they hold, don't you think?

Especially for a liberal, who by associative proxy of socio political standards they all praise themselves for, he should be the last person to be doing any name calling towards anyone over their physical appearance.

Kinda seems rather hypocritical really. (Not that present day liberalism isn't built on a solid foundation of extreme hypocrisy and double standards, to say the least.)

Register to Reply Score 2 for Off Topic
Guru
Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 57
In reply to #6

09/11/2017 11:28 AM

Transcript of the fat man's ramblings:

Excuse me, but I resemble that remark.

In reply to #22

09/12/2017 7:53 AM

Most of us do.... some more then others...

In reply to #41

09/12/2017 10:40 AM

All men are created equal. The rest is genetics, environment, exercise and diet.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #49

09/12/2017 10:53 AM

Some are created more equally than others? LOL

Last time I checked the process still involves gametes. Only the fittest survive to the finish line. Life starts with a marathon, is a marathon, and ends with a different marathon.

Somewhere (Ecclesiastes chapter 9), I read, …10 Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might; for there is no activity or planning or knowledge or wisdom in Sheol where you are going. 11 I again saw under the sun that the race is not to the swift and the battle is not to the warriors, and neither is bread to the wise nor wealth to the discerning nor favor to men of ability; for time and chance overtake them all. 12 Moreover, man does not know his time: like fish caught in a treacherous net and birds trapped in a snare, so the sons of men are ensnared at an evil time when it suddenly falls on them.…

In reply to #50

09/12/2017 10:56 AM

ya,... ya,.. ya,... shut your pie hole and pass the gravy....

In reply to #51

09/12/2017 1:55 PM

white or brown?

In reply to #53

09/13/2017 12:14 PM

yes please.

In reply to #6

09/11/2017 2:03 PM

Let's all knock it off with the politics, please, and get back on topic.

Guru

Good Answers: 153
In reply to #3

09/10/2017 8:29 PM

Please take this to the break room.

In reply to #11

09/10/2017 8:59 PM

He won't because it won't get the attention he wants, for being a troll, from people like me and several others here who are all too happy to call him out for any plausible BS claim he makes.

It's how his trolling game has to run to work here.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #12

09/11/2017 2:14 PM

Winston Churchill made a comment to the effect that if a person is young and not a liberal, he has no heart. A person that is old and not a conservative has no brain.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #32

09/11/2017 3:46 PM

True that, one of his finest hours when he stated so.

Good Answers: 15
In reply to #3

09/11/2017 1:07 AM

I have it on good authority that Rush NEVER said anything of the sort! The Drive By media may have reported it, but it didn't happen!

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 744
In reply to #16

09/11/2017 1:29 AM

What sort of "authority" could ever possibly know such a thing?

Good Answers: 15
In reply to #17

09/11/2017 9:33 AM

I listen to the man's show. I got it from his own words, speaking about what he said, and what the know nothings report about him. That is pretty definitive!

In reply to #17

09/12/2017 7:55 AM

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #42

09/12/2017 10:13 PM

At first glance the cartoon looked like Kim Jong Un!

In reply to #16

09/11/2017 9:56 AM

Exactly. They pull smaller bits out of the greater topical context being discussed then claim that what they picked and chose means something that it does not because the greater topical context has been eliminated.

Basic liberal word play tactics to justify their false narratives that they want to hear.

Lying without directly lying if you will.

Associate

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #3

09/11/2017 4:21 AM

Lyn, please stop poking a stick into tcmtech's cage - his usual rant of a response only serves to close down a good discussion.

It's a fact that global warming is a cause of more powerful hurricanes. What is in dispute is whether mankind is part of the cause.

For me, I'd rather hedge my bets by encouraging the use of non-fossil energy production. My belief is that clean energy is a good way to go and any nation that doesn't jump on this wagon will lose out.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 4)
Guru

Good Answers: 33
In reply to #18

09/11/2017 1:39 PM

They are Not more powerful. 1938 comes to mind. Al Gore said in 205 that we will have more and more powerful hurricanes. There has been a 11 year void since that prediction. Even Warren Buffett has stated because of the lull, the Insurance industry is in good shape. How long does it take a "prediction" to come "true" ?

Take a look at the real readings of the Irma phenomena, and you will find a lot of "Propping " from various sources. As a strong category 2, they push the figures as close as they can to a low Category 3, then pull the trigger. Death and destruction, forever..!! Try going to the actual weather station reports, and you may find a different story. I was amazed , also.

Guru

In reply to #18

09/11/2017 2:06 PM

"It's a fact that global warming is a cause of more powerful hurricanes. What is in dispute is whether mankind is part of the cause."

I am calling your bluff on that one! Sheer nonsense, sir.

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #18

09/11/2017 11:23 PM

"It's a fact that global warming is a cause of more powerful hurricanes."

Then why have there been destructive and as intense hurricanes in the past?

Could the fact that hurricanes have been more closely watched, discovered earlier in their formation, and effecting many more people today give the impression that hurricanes have become more deadly (although loss of life has been reduced due to the same factors)?

If one considers that the New Madrid earthquake in 1814, which affected very few people, compared with the damage and destruction that a similar event would cause today, one gets the idea that we are comparing apple with oranges when we say hurricanes are betting worse.

In reply to #40

09/12/2017 10:16 AM

If you consider the population density of Florida in the 1930's with now, it is immediately apparent why hurricane damage costs have risen astronomically, and it has zero to do with the scale of the storm.

If a storm happens to empty swamp, who cares? The alligators? I don't think so.

If a storm happens to an area with 500,000 people residing in it, low elevation that cannot overcome the storm surge, and lots of economical, low strength construction, and strip malls, then heck yeah the damage costs go up astronomically.

In reply to #18

09/12/2017 8:00 AM

Lyn, please stop poking a stick into tcmtech's cage - his usual rant of a response only serves to close down a good discussion.

Blame goes on TCMTECH shoulders for shutting down a thread

but the Root cause: Lyn,

For a liberal, "Mission Accomplished!"

In reply to #43

09/12/2017 12:57 PM

Yep. Blame the gun, not who keeps putting the bullets in it and pulling the trigger while aiming at his own head (and somehow missing anyway).

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #18

09/12/2017 10:12 AM

I totally disagree about "global warming is a cause of more powerful hurricanes" statement, when (1) there is no hard evidence of global warming (especially when the data stream has been corrupted by removal of rural sensors in favor of urban ones), correlational bias where the data is "adjusted" to fit the hypothesis (we used to call this falsification of data, and it could get someone sent to jail if used as court testimony).

and (2) there is absolutely no data that supports that modern (within the last fifty years) hurricanes are any more powerful or energetic that the predecessor storms of yesteryear. In fact, the data may indicate the contrapositive, if anyone actually cared to look at it.

Now, there is direct evidence that the swishing, swirling sound we all hear is the sound of modern civilization circling the drain, i.e.- going down the toilet.

When hacks and charlatans are awarded the Peace Prize, and the real scientists are denigrated, castigated, despised, and cast out, then we will know who stands for lies, and who stands for truth. Science is supposed to be the human endeavor where the truth is always sought, no matter what. It is not the endeavor distorting observations to fit the popular theory of the day.

Actually, maybe things stand about as they always have, as we look back in history and see the real scientists treated about the way they are now, except more mercifully. (At least death came quicker back in the old days of drawing and quartering).

In reply to #3

09/11/2017 2:02 PM

I bit off track we went there, did we?

Guru

09/10/2017 7:23 PM

..to the same extent that global weather patterns are affected by the fluttering of a butterfly's wings in the Himalayas. There's nothing as constant as change, and we're all subject to it...

Good Answers: 543
In reply to #8

09/10/2017 9:16 PM

They are conducting a study to determine what species of butterfly is causing these hurricanes...

Guru

In reply to #15

09/11/2017 2:09 PM

More like, they are conducting a study to determine which wing and on what stroke.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #30

09/11/2017 2:15 PM

It sure ain't the backstroke. It is flies doing a backstroke in my soup that cause a hurricane - of mouth spew.

In reply to #30

09/11/2017 2:17 PM

You sure? I hear there's some good eatin' in there.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #34

09/11/2017 3:47 PM

LOL - hearsay!

In reply to #36

09/11/2017 3:50 PM

Recurring theme from Terry Pratchet's book, "Small Gods"

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #37

09/11/2017 4:04 PM

Good call. I never ate I fly that did not deserve it.

In reply to #15

09/11/2017 2:10 PM

I bet you a cool $20 bill, they turn out to be Himalayan butterflies (since they are in the Himalayas flapping their wings)...just sayin'

Two things best not to argue about: (1) religion (such as global warming, because the stuff is not based on science any more if it was in the first place), and (2) politics, because a politician can demand of a "scientist" that he paid good money for to "tweak" the data whatever way gets the politician the keys to power.

If those two points cannot convince anyone of corruption, then their eyes are wide shut.

In reply to #31

09/12/2017 8:27 AM

and (2) politics, because a politician can demand of a "scientist" that he paid good money for to "tweak" the data whatever way gets the politician the keys to power.

Really?

In reply to #15

09/12/2017 8:01 AM

Ban Butterfly wings... problem solve... cuz that's what I do...

Location: Baytown Tx. USA where you get your gasoline,chemicals,plastics and floods
Good Answers: 5

09/11/2017 5:48 AM

SWAG!!!

A bunch of photons(solar flares) heat up the ocean water in preferential areas making more moisture available which drives the storms.(NO, I did not do the math). But from what I have read even a 1 deg. C change in the ocean or Gulf makes huge amounts of water available.

The flooding here in Baytown and Houston was incredible. It was not the winds but the massive rain.

In reply to #19

09/12/2017 10:33 AM

Are you able to be back at home and operating normally at this time? Need any thing?

Location: Baytown Tx. USA where you get your gasoline,chemicals,plastics and floods
Good Answers: 5
In reply to #48

09/12/2017 8:22 PM

Need any thing?

Sponges! Actually I faired well compared to many others. As I live in a 37' RV I just moved to higher ground and moved the car and motorcycle. There is Royal Purple Raceway just down the street and there has to be around 2 square miles of flooded out cars there. I will get and post a picture. A flood does not care about who you are and the price of your home or car, it is the great equalizer.

As I have lived the majority of my life in the Texas Gulf coast area I am use to hurricanes but this took everyone by surprise. Nobody expected to have the rainfall of five days of a hurricane. Mentally the pressure was great as for five days we were under a flash flood alert. I had stocked up on food and water but nearly ran out of beer and tequila (OH NOOOOO!!!!).

Good Answers: 33

09/11/2017 1:42 PM

Fedski.

They say the same about earthquakes here in California, "Hot , still weather.." means Earthquake weather..

Now extreme tidal influences may have an effect, at certain times, on water levels..

Register to Reply
Guru

09/11/2017 2:01 PM

I think this is almost anecdotal in significance, compared to the wealth of data that could, and should be lined up to seek statistical correlation. It might (for once) tell us something about our planet we didn't already know (or think we knew).

Guru

In reply to #26

09/11/2017 9:52 PM

Anecdotal is correct... Given the relatively short time that human activity has affected the earth relative to its age, any data/statistics is simply a dot in history, Al Gore notwithstanding.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

C-Mac (2); Casper71 (2); DaveD (1); James Stewart (16); JE in Chicago (2); Jpfalt (6); Kilowatt0 (1); lyn (4); phoenix911 (10); Phys (1); RAMConsult (3); Rixter (2); ronc (2); SWB123 (2); tcmtech (7); Tornado (2)

Previous in Forum: How's Your Credit Score?   Next in Forum: Water Valve Timer

Advertisement