Close
Close
Close
16 comments
Commentator

Good Answers: 1

Water Valve Timer

09/11/2017 2:02 AM

Hi All , does anyone know if there is a water valve timer available that operates on water pressure , No electricity or batteries . This would be a daily cycle with low pressure , low volumn application . I cant find one through my search. Thanks

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Power-User

Good Answers: 17

Re: Water valve timer

09/11/2017 2:24 AM

I'm a little confused by your request. When you say water valve timer it sounds like you want it to actuate at a preset time but you then go on to say operates on water pressure.

Can you explain more about what your setup is and what you are trying to achieve?

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 744

09/11/2017 2:38 AM

I think I have seen some hose-bib-mounted timers that use water pressure to run the "clock"; try searching something like "garden hose timers".

Good Answers: 1559

09/11/2017 6:01 AM

Orbit Mechanical Water Timer Model# 56908 (213) Home Depot

These work with a relatively high water flow. I had one and was not too happy with it because I wanted a low flow through it.

I expect Amazon would carry such timers also.

$13.00 US you might try one.

Register to Reply
Commentator

09/11/2017 6:44 AM

I would like to drain a tank once or twice a day without batteries or grid power

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 536
In reply to #5

09/11/2017 9:05 PM

If this is a remote location, is there sunlight available? Maybe a solar panel charging a battery would allow you to use a conventional timer valve like those used for lawn watering.

Register to Reply
Commentator

09/11/2017 6:55 AM

I have some other options but I thought I would ask. my goal was to keep really fresh water in tank . One option was to over fill and overflow tank and drain away . But this always caused slime and sludge to build up on bottom

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #6

09/11/2017 7:50 AM

Could you siphon water out and put the end of the syphon hose near the bottom of the tank. With a needle valve you could adjust the syphon rate to the same as the supply rate.

No batteries or electricity needed and you would have variable flow rate and can adjust the position to syphon water from anywhere in the tank.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

Good Answers: 1559
In reply to #6

09/11/2017 11:23 AM

Then, wouldn't a siphon cause these same problems? Since the tank would only be drained part way down?

Wouldn't a bottom drain be better to remove the slime and sludge? You could still use gravity with a bottom drain, but just plumb an inverted U into the drain pipe outside the tank at the level you want the water to stop flowing from it?

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #10

09/11/2017 11:41 AM

With a syphon you can change the position to effectively clean the whole tank. I used to work in aquaculture and we did this day in day out.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 697

Re: Water Valve Timer

09/11/2017 9:59 AM

Then the simplest way is a syphon. Simply arrange for the high point of the syphon to be below the top water level. When the tank reaches this level it will self-syphon out until it is empty.

No batteries, clockwork nor ethernet connections.

09/11/2017 10:58 AM

Thank you, the siphon idea is a very good and simple plan . Gravity can be wonderful . Would it be possible to send simple drawing I could follow before I drill holes and install fittings thru the expensive tank

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #9

09/12/2017 8:51 AM

This is a very quick sketch of the tank setup we used. It provides three methods for cleaning the tank. Firstly, out the bottom of the tank we took the waste pipe back up the side of the tank in an upside down U at the top. The height of this is adjustable and controls the level the water is at. There was actually also a valve in this line about half way up which dumped to waste too, so you could crack this valve open and dump half the contents. You could also drain it completely if you opened the valve at the bottom (again I haven't shown this).

Next we have the filter on the side of the tank near the top. We would adjust the adjustable section to raise the water level to the filter and this would continuously overflow through the filter and out of the tank, which would take scum off the top.

Lastly we would use a hose pipe with PVC tube on the end as a syphon to clean parts of the tank the other methods couldn't get to.

This was for juvenile cod and the tank would be either 10 m^3 or 20 m^3. I don't know what your application looks like so can't provide any specific advice but I'm just showing you how we used gravity to provide 3 cleaning methods, no batteries or electricity. Perhaps you could use some or all of these for your application.

Register to Reply
Commentator

In reply to #14

09/13/2017 1:01 AM

Thanks MACA , I think this design will work on this project . I will be making the tank from scratch using stainless steel and I wanted to minimize any changes once I got started . I appreciate your taking time to send drawing

Register to Reply

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #15

09/13/2017 10:53 AM

as you are making the tank yourself, be sure to do a cone bottom. this will help direct the sludge to the drain and help facilitate the cleaning process

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

09/12/2017 2:13 AM

You could fit the syphon loop to the existing drain valve, leaving the valve open.

I'm assuming the existing drain is at the lowest point in the tank, where the sludge collects, and is effective in removing the sludge. The height of the loop can then be adjusted externally and modification of the tank is not required.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); DavidSA (1); Don Blashka (1); Jazzman (4); lyn (2); MACA (4); PWSlack (1); Rixter (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Coincidence?   Next in Forum: MS Outlook Question

Advertisement