CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Water Valve Timer   Next in Forum: AC Resistance For Single Core Copper Cable
Close
Close
Close
31 comments
Power-User
Engineering Fields - Biomedical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member

Good Answers: 7

MS Outlook Question

09/11/2017 10:53 PM

FIRST - please, no comments, no complaints, or derogatory remarks on the MS product!! My outstanding company uses the MS Suite and I have no opportunity to do anything else for work.

Please focus on the question and please no opinions on MS products!!

Background - I write technical documentation in WORD and I can insert a PowerPoint or *.PDF at the proper place in the document for the readers to see that information. As I copy-n-paste into an Outlook document, the links to the programs/files disappear (icons there, but link to files). I even started a fresh Outlook file and found the INSERT OBJECT function as in WORD, but it either gave me an error or just inserted the first page of the PowerPoint.

Question - I know I can attach the pertinent files, but I would prefer to insert the files to view at the 'proper' time in the document to keep continuity. Can I actually do this, or not??

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Power-User
Engineering Fields - Biomedical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member

In reply to #1

Re: MS Outlook Question

09/14/2017 2:00 PM

No help - first one I've tried and it either gave me an error or just inserted first (and only) slide, just as second one outlines. Third one is basically attaching file...

Oh well, I will keep trying........

Good Answers: 1141

09/12/2017 12:41 AM

Any auto-play file in email will likely be nuked on arrival....and if it doesn't the computer likely has no virus protection and has already been....compromised....

A better method would be to email a link to your presentation...

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 341

09/12/2017 5:33 AM

It sounds like your trying to embed the files. I have used MS Publisher for documentation. A little more versatile in my opinion where a number of file formats can be inserted.

I know that back in the 90's doing file types (PDF, Excel, DWG, ect...) insertions in Publisher was sketchy and inconsistent, with what your experiencing now. But that was in the 90's, and its a lot better now where I never had a problem yet.

I don't know if you can see the page over all, I'll insert another larger pic.

Australia - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 203

09/12/2017 6:44 AM

Not on my work machine at the moment, but from memory "Copy-and paste" will imprint the text that you highlight.

We also run outlook as business system.

I think that you need to treat it as a hyperlink (copy from the folder header rather than the file list) so that what you embed is the path.

As an aside, the IT people here ask us very nicely to include links rather than copies, since every distributed copy replicates the content and occupies server space.

Good Answers: 237

09/12/2017 9:51 AM

Can you just do a screen capture:-

And insert the jpeg into the E-M: or have I misunderstood.

In reply to #5

09/14/2017 2:11 PM

I can insert photos, I'm trying to insert PowerPoint and/or PDF files with click-able icons.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155
In reply to #15

09/14/2017 2:28 PM

Is there some other button, such as insert link, or provide link to external file?

In reply to #17

09/14/2017 3:50 PM

I'm doing pretty much what phoenix911 shows in post #3

Insert, object, find file, but the icon and link boxes are not available to click on.

But it will not embed program as a useable icon as I can in Word. You just see the first page of the PowerPoint or PDF on the screen.

It is Outlook with Office365 (which I did NOT like on my home system!)

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #18

09/14/2017 4:36 PM

I feel for ya, and can relate, but I have not your answer.

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 177

09/12/2017 11:09 AM

Outlook is the email program in MS Office.

When you say Outlook file of Outlook document, do you really mean Office file or Office document?

In reply to #6

09/12/2017 2:11 PM

MSOutlook is the Microsoft email software that goes with MSOffice.

I have had interesting problems at times using Outlook. Of late, the thing is slow to 'sync', and if I delete any email at all, it stops functioning. So now, I open Outlook, go outside for a smoke, have a drink, go pee, have another smoke, and come back to check if it is done downloading mail and 'sync'ing yet. I wonder what it looks like when it has 'sunc'? LOL

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

In reply to #8

09/14/2017 3:36 AM

I think that there is something fundamental that we're missing here.

The OP said:

Background - I write technical documentation in WORD and I can insert a PowerPoint or *.PDF at the proper place in the document for the readers to see that information.

As I copy-n-paste into an Outlook document,...

Does OP mean: "As I copy-n-paste into an email that I want to send"? Because that is what an Outlook document is; an email.

the links to the programs/files disappear (icons there, but link to files). I even started a fresh Outlook file (started a new email - to who(m)?) and found the INSERT OBJECT function as in WORD, but it either gave me an error or just inserted the first page of the PowerPoint.

Until we find what the OP is actually doing, we can't really help him.

Wow! For being so adamant about rules and his desperation for an answer, you'd think Sid would be communicating. Typical of 90% of OPs .

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 774
In reply to #11

09/14/2017 7:10 AM

Yes, this is common with many OP. Which is why I believe many of the problems brought to us are actually solved by the OP by just posing the problem to strangers.

In reply to #11

09/14/2017 2:10 PM

Well, I guess I'm quite stupid!!

As you read, the questions seem quite logical to me. I do understand an Outlook document is an e-mail.

Yes I started a new e-mail, but at that point it does not matter to who(m), I'm not sending it yet.

What you state is actually what I am doing and what I am asking! I really dislike being talked down to so much! If you don't understand, I don't think you read very well. Probably put off by my first comment.

Typical of those who feel they are superior.

In reply to #14

09/14/2017 6:58 PM

Whoa! No condescension was intended - not remotely. I do realize that I WAS being impatient though.

Well, let's get to it then....

Does a new email look like this to you (aside from the crappy resolution here!)?

Just attempting to get on the same page.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

In reply to #20

09/14/2017 9:10 PM

Wait a minute. Are you actually trying to get my paradoxically polite and impertinent question answered?

In reply to #22

09/15/2017 2:19 AM

Maybe so, maybe so.

In reply to #20

09/14/2017 9:35 PM

I'm quite flummoxed right now........

I started yelling and screaming at the monitor - very certain that would help me with my issue!!

But my wife did the wifey thing to pull me back in......... (still argued with me, surprise!)

Give me a few minutes to gather my thoughts..........

Mikerho - I've worked on my communication for years, but for some reason I'm universally ignored.

In reply to #23

09/15/2017 2:18 AM

Maybe there's something wrong with your hardware and not the programs?

Maybe it's even the OS .

I know it's very tedious to go into detail about the questions I (we) have been asking, and these kind of problems can be frustrating to say the least. Every one of us has been there .

I think that some of us will hang in there with you as long as you want to keep trying.

Every problem has at least one solution

I have no doubt that this one does !

In reply to #23

09/15/2017 9:00 AM

Think of the computer less as a lady friend, and more as a sophisticated hammer set. You have points you want to make in a document, and you need Outlook to nail these points home in the email.

Copy and paste the important parts of the message, and link the entire presentation, or .pdf files, photos, etc. as attachments to the email.

One thing to bear in mind, most Outlook emails are limited to 20 MB, usually anything more than a few photos will hit the trip wire. Movies are out.

Guru

In reply to #14

09/14/2017 7:17 PM

You said: Question - I know I can attach the pertinent files, but I would prefer to insert the files to view at the 'proper' time in the document to keep continuity. Can I actually do this, or not??

There is definitely a way to do this. When you say you want to insert a file, do you mean that you want it to look exactly in your email as it does in its own program? That could be as simple as opening that file in its own program, pressing Ctrl+A (to select all), then pressing Ctrl+C (to copy all), then go to your email and place the cursor where you want the contents of the file to start, then press Ctrl+V to paste the contents there, and you're done!

Am I close?

In reply to #21

09/15/2017 3:11 PM

Just tried, no go. Even with all slides selected on the first shows in the e-mail body.

Guru

09/12/2017 11:56 AM

Which edition of Outlook on what operating system? MS seems love to make things look similar but function completely differently.

Good Answers: 237
In reply to #7

09/12/2017 2:59 PM

Brilliant: GA; you managed to break Sid's rules for posting, but, with such good reason that he can't complain.

Good Answers: 1141
In reply to #9

09/12/2017 4:31 PM

Ha ha ...kudos

In reply to #9

09/14/2017 2:13 PM

You are correct!!

Participant

Good Answers: 1

09/15/2017 1:34 PM

Go to options and pick Rich Text.

When you attach a file, it will appear at the bottom of the page instead of in an attachment bar.

You can cut and paste text around the icon for the attached file.

This will give you a doc with a bunch of text, a clickable link, followed by more text. I think that's what you are trying to do

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Power-User

In reply to #27

09/15/2017 5:17 PM

OUT-BLOODY-STANDING!!!

And I'm not British, but our CEO is, and I picked up some of his lingo (and he said he was happy to help me with my profanity issue!)

Worked like a charm - I cannot thank you enough MHanrahan!!

In reply to #29

09/15/2017 5:49 PM

Excellent! Glad it worked.

In reply to #29

09/18/2017 8:58 AM

Seems we all learned something from this thread. Thanks for starting it.

BTW - offer that CEO some eggs and beans for breakfast once in a while.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

James Stewart (5); Just an Engineer (1); lyn (1); MHanrahan7761 (1); Mikerho (7); phoenix911 (1); Randall (2); redfred (3); Sid_Sidow (8); SolarEagle (2)

Previous in Forum: Water Valve Timer   Next in Forum: AC Resistance For Single Core Copper Cable

Advertisement