CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Glass Cooler Repair   Next in Forum: New Metamaterial Enhances Natural Cooling Without Power Input
Close
Close
Close
48 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 18

Tesla Still In Denial

09/12/2017 4:45 PM

It doesn't bode well for the future of autonomous vehicles if one of the main protagonists is stuck in denial mode.

'System safeguards' lacking in Tesla crash on autopilot: NTSB

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 536

Re: Tesla still in denial

09/12/2017 6:26 PM

So, who is responsible for the safe operation of a self-driving car? I would assume it is the "driver" who may or may not be paying much attention to what the car is doing. I, personally, do not want to be responsible unless I am also in control. Just sayin'.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 4)
Power-User

In reply to #1

09/12/2017 8:48 PM

Totally agree.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 15
In reply to #1

09/12/2017 11:07 PM

I can tell you now, that the people pushing this trend, are after government approval, and contracts! Therefore, once the government gets involved in making the laws, which apply to these vehicles, the manufacturers will have lobbied for complete amnesty from the liabilities rightly due them; and, the government has long ago covered their ass legally for ANYTHING they do!

Guru

Good Answers: 1559

09/12/2017 6:31 PM

First thing, quit calling it an "autopilot"! It IS Not an autopilot!

The FTC and NTSB should both insist on that.

It is a driver assist that does not absolve the driver of not looking through the windshield to know what is ahead.

The dealers must do a better job of educating the buyer about what the system is NOT!

Finally, take it off the market until it can be made idiot proof.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 6)
Power-User

In reply to #2

09/12/2017 8:49 PM

Totally agree.

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 68
In reply to #2

09/13/2017 10:39 AM

Finally, take it off the market until it can be madeidiot proof.

Good luck with that one.

Good Answers: 15
In reply to #2

09/13/2017 11:37 AM

"Auto assist" is what this technology should be; HOWEVER, the ultimate goal is complete autonomy! Apparently, the 'drive' to put professional drivers out of business, is a 'clarion call', which cannot be resisted!

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 224
In reply to #2

09/13/2017 12:23 PM

No matter what anyone does, there will ALWAYS be a better idiot.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 41

Re: Tesla Still In Denial

09/13/2017 10:11 AM

The only thing Tesla is in denial about is the stupidity of American drivers.

Good Answers: 2

09/13/2017 10:34 AM

@ Lyn,

your comment " Finally, take it off the market until it can be made idiot proof".

Unfortunately that will never happen as the "idiot" is also constantly developing.

That's why you should never get into an arguement with an "idiot" as he/she will drag you down to their level and as they have much more experience at that level than you, they will win the arguement !

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 765
In reply to #7

09/13/2017 1:28 PM

You've seen his many poltical comments thrown out in threads everywhere now, that ultimately blew up in his face every time, so it should be obvious to you now he will not be 'out idioted' by anyone.

It's his goal in life and nothing will stand in his way.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru

In reply to #15

09/13/2017 3:16 PM

There is nothing political about it. Why don't you grow up and go away!

It has become more and more obvious why you have been banned from many other forums, you can't hold a steady job and your wife divorced you, no matter how many times you declare your superior knowledge, and intelligence. I never believe those tall tales you told about your wife either.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

Good Answers: 143
In reply to #20

09/13/2017 3:24 PM

I don't want to end up in the middle of a brawl between you two, so I am just going to say this: it takes two to tango. We have seen enough personal attacks on here to go around for a long, long time.

What is stopping you guys from stopping long enough to find some common ground, stop fighting, shake hands, and start working together? Novel idea...

In reply to #21

09/13/2017 3:57 PM

Everything I said in the previous post was posted by tcmtech himself, on this forum. It wouldn't be hard to dig them out if you think it's not true. We can all take with a grain of salt his protestations about HER problems!

Finally if something I say bothers anyone here, just ignoring the remark and telling one's self how stupid I am should give far more satisfaction to the adults on the form.

I'm happy to move along. Even with a giant target on my back.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru

In reply to #23

09/13/2017 4:48 PM

Lyn: You know doggone good and well your comments are missed when you don't hang around. Same thing with TcmTech. I see you both as maybe flip sides of the same coin. Surely you are both Alpha males, and can respect and tolerate your differences, and stop throwing insults at each other.

There are plenty of grains of salt to go around, and salt is essential in small amounts.

When the salt loses its savor, it becomes as rubbish to cast out and forget. So stay strong, keep your salt level right where it needs to be, and in dry condition.

It is good to meet on the field of honor we call this forum. Let us all fight our important battles with integrity, and consideration of the other person's thoughts, and try to get where they are coming from. That is all anyone can ask, right?

In reply to #23

09/13/2017 5:09 PM

Her who? Are you declaring yourself female now?

Being absolutely no one here, but you, is trying to defect your actions, or the topic, onto someone/something else who/what is of no topical relevance in order to detract from their own false narrative they got caught in, again.

If you don't like getting called out for your own present actions you can always leave again. Dwelling on and trying to defect to irrelevant things won't help you here now.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 4)
Guru

In reply to #21

09/13/2017 4:47 PM

He left and life was good here for along time. Many even discussed it and to what easily observable effects it had for the betterment of the forum.

Now he's back and things are back to what they were before.

Seems pretty obvious as to what the source of the problem is by it's own inadvertent cause and effect demonstration. (It ain't me.)

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 4)
Guru

Good Answers: 1086

09/13/2017 11:07 AM

...maybe a tributary....

Guru

In reply to #9

09/13/2017 11:55 AM

Tesla to driving public: This is a beta test and not a fully functioning autonomous vehicle. You are required to be in control at all times, not use it in certain situations or on certain types of roadway, and to take the wheel when told to by the car.

What Americans heard: You don't have to drive the car!

I am not seeing a failure of engineering or of information being provided.

What I am seeing, A serious "hold my beer" level of thinking being employed by some people.

Are gun companies responsible when their product is used improperly?

Are Brewers and distillers in court over every drunk driving fatality?

This list of examples could be much longer but really, does it need to be?

Personal responsibility is something we need to get back to.

In reply to #12

09/13/2017 2:58 PM

Tesla to driving public: This car is fitted with AUTOPILOT so sit back and relax while the AUTOPILOT does the driving for you.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #18

09/13/2017 5:18 PM

Now that was a response I was not expecting from this crowd. So, when you design a machine and then instruct people on how to use it. When they don’t use it the way you instructed them to use it you will still stand behind it and be legally liable for their choices? ? SERIOUSLY!

In reply to #29

09/13/2017 8:53 PM

I detected a note of sarcasm there. Most (all) members are not advocating that Tesla's are autonomous vehicles.

The Tesla sales people may be but nobody here is. I think. Certainly not WT.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #30

09/14/2017 10:26 AM

No sarcasm Lyn, just a straightforward question designed to get people to challenge their preconceived notions by placing them personally in the equation and responsible for the outcome. It's what therapists are actually trained to do.

In reply to #29

09/14/2017 9:43 AM

An AUTOPILOT that's not an AUTOPILOT should not be called an AUTOPILOT.

au·to·pi·lot ˈôdōˌpīlət/ noun

1. short for automatic pilot.
Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #31

09/14/2017 10:16 AM

It seems you completely avoided my question.

Convenient but not terribly ingenious.

I would hope if you are behind the wheel of a 2 ton missile that you are smarter than these guys.

The one on the left is the smart one.

In reply to #32

09/14/2017 10:31 AM

Because your question was redundant.

The AUTOPILOT hype was in LARGE PRINT and SMUG INNUENDOS.

Their disclaimer was in small print waiting to be smacked into the face of anyone with the temerity to call their large print into question.

It was just another con job and they got found out PDQ.

And because of that they were forced to upgrade their standards and their technology.

Unfortunately, as you can see from the article, they haven't downgraded their smugness.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #34

09/14/2017 11:05 AM

Since all you have is a dictionary maybe I am asking too hard a question. I just put up a dictionary definition to support my contention too.

Definition of instruction

1a :precept

• prevailing cultural instructions

b :a direction calling for compliance :order —usually used in plural

• had instructions not to admit strangers

c instructions plural :an outline or manual of technical procedure :directions And yes, I did read the article with great interest as I am a stock holder. I especially noted where the operator willfully and intentionally disregarded the owners manual, the instructions from Tesla and virtually every single instance the car told him to take control.

In reply to #35

09/14/2017 11:45 AM

I fail to see your point here.

Unless we kill all the lawyers, which I very strongly advocate, we all know the outcome of any law suit. The lawyers get rich(er)!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #36

09/14/2017 1:41 PM

...but, but, but, if we kill all the lawyers who would be left to send to Washington?

Another question - even if we kill just almost all the lawyers (definitely not recommending any such course of action now or at some time in the future), the left-over lawyers get richer by default.

In reply to #35

09/14/2017 11:53 AM

"I especially noted where the operator willfully and intentionally disregarded the owners manual, the instructions from Tesla and virtually every single instance the car told him to take control."

I see.

So you missed the part where it said:

“Tesla allowed the driver to use the system outside of the environment for which it was designed and the system gave far too much leeway to the driver to divert his attention.”?

And you missed the part where it said:

"The Tesla's self-driving system’s “operational design” was a contributing factor to the 2016 crash because it allows drivers to avoid steering or watching the road for lengthy periods of time that were “inconsistent” with warnings from Tesla."?

"Tesla did not ensure that the system was used only on highways and limited-access roads, as recommended in the owner’s manual" ?

"The system could not reliably detect cross traffic and did little to constrain the use of autopilot to roadways for which it was designed”?

"Monitoring driver attention by measuring the driver’s touching of the steering wheel was a poor surrogate for monitored driving engagement.” ?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #37

09/14/2017 12:45 PM

You really missed your calling. You should have been the lawyer for the Boston marathon bomber. I would have loved to hear you argue that it wasn’t his fault or responsibility because the pressure cooker manufacturer didn’t make their pressure cooker in such a way that you could not use it as a bomb.

On the other hand, the folks at Sandy Hook would have welcomed you with open arms had you come to argue that the gun maker was at fault because they did not make their gun incapable of shooting “good people”.

I am sorry, but I am unable to subscribe to your level of dumb.

In reply to #38

09/14/2017 10:16 PM

It was all in the article that you claim to have "especially noted".

I guess as a stock holder you picked the parts that you wanted to "especially note" and skipped over the rest, lest your insightful mind might give you pause for thought?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #41

09/15/2017 10:34 AM

Your reticence to acknowledge reality is interesting.

Product liability laws need to be consistent and not single out one company to the benefit of others. Until GM and the rest can limit their cars to go no faster than the posted speed limit under any and all situations and that these automakers be held accountable for anyones stupidity and misuse of their product I can only assume the power of Big Oil has been felt in Washington which is why this closed investigation was reopened and the outcome changed. Don't you find it interesting how that happened? After the FHP, the Insurance companies, and the NHTSB all found Tesla not liable suddenly that changes? How do you figure that happened?

And why are we not seeing Smith and Wesson, Ruger, Glock, and the rest being held accountable since their guns are not safe and can shoot innocent people.

Or maybe we should close down the fertilizer company whose product was used in Oklahoma City and Yes, we need to do away with rental trucks too because, well people can put bombs in them and blow things up. That is obviously the rental agencies fault and maybe even the manufacturer of truck since they did not make the truck so it could not be used as a bomb.

I can't wait to see the lawsuit against the airplane manufacturers of the aircraft used on 9/11. Obviously they did not include safety features that would prevent the planes being used as missiles.

AS anyone but a fool can see, this sort of "manufacturer is responsible for your stupidity or evilness" is a slippery slope and not one that is supported by logic, precedent, or case law or for that matter any law on the books.

As you can probably tell, I am not a "Nanny State" proponent. I fall firmly in the "people need to be held accountable for their actions camp".

In reply to #43

09/15/2017 11:17 AM

A hearty amen to that from over here in the cheap seats.

There is faulty reasoning in this concept that big government can now or ever in the future know our wants and needs better than we ourselves can determine and go after.

Things are property, and subject to being replaced when taken, destroyed, or worn out.

People are not property, as our history clearly testifies, but the war for our rights as citizens goes on day by day by day, we dare not lose vigilance, or give up hope, that one day, all people will be treated equally (even before their birth?), have the same opportunities to improve themselves, to fail, and to be forgiven (as their debts are repaid to society). To err is human, to forgive is also human, but is divinely inspired.

People need to be informed that not all progress technologically speaking is progress in the evolution of Liberty and Freedom. We are not ant, nor some other colonial form of insect for the "ruling" class to Lord it over. We have no royalty in the United States of America.

In reply to #44

09/15/2017 12:15 PM

"We are not ant, nor some other colonial form of insect for the "ruling" class to Lord it over. We have no royalty in the United States of America."

That's bull$hit!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #45

09/15/2017 12:30 PM

Oh, did someone elect you to be king? Look some some terms: Populism, democratic republic, and democracy. Those terms could be informative for a man such as yourself, in such high regard and standing in the community.

I agree with you that we appear to have a "ruling" class now, and most of us are pretty upset by that notion. This whole Royalty idea creates a tremendous vacuum of trust in the pit of my stomach.

In reply to #43

09/16/2017 10:19 AM

Your inability to stick to the point is revealing.

Yourself being a stock holder in Tesla I can understand why your rage is directed at anyone who questions their supremacy because you have a financial interest in the outcome.

But let me explain the basics so even you can understand - This case and this incident is simple - the manufacturer, Tesla, screwed up.

Your blood-vessel-bursting-rage is not going to change that.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #47

09/18/2017 10:24 AM

Before, you were simply a self proclaimed expert in the intent and motivation of an EV manufacturer and manufacturing liability law. Now you are an expert in other peoples emotional states. AND from such a long range. It's like magic.

I am a lot of things, but in this thread I am simply amused.

Cheers!

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 224
In reply to #9

09/13/2017 12:25 PM

From that angle, it almost looks like a Cavalier.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #14

09/13/2017 2:15 PM

The aquatic Cavalier...? I like it...sounds like a ride at the water park....

....you know the one that everyone always gets stuck on....haha

In reply to #9

09/13/2017 3:01 PM

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

09/13/2017 11:14 AM

This is exactly as I expected. The major problem of self driving cars is the legal question of liability and not the engineering. (Although the engineering problem has yet to be completely solved.)

People in general and salesmen in particular will oversell the capabilities of the AI system. These exaggerated expectations will create rare incidents of calamity both great and small. It will not matter how many times an AI avoided an accident for these incidents will not be noticed.

What I fear of this problem is how legislation and the courts will react to immature system design provided to a wealthy public.

In reply to #10

09/13/2017 1:47 PM

I can see that driver orientation/re-education will be legally necessary as a prerequisite to the purchase/lease of the vehicle.

The up-side of the Tesla autonomous car, it puts Taxi-cab drivers that make their living off hauling drunks out of business. Surely the Tesla folks have an "auto-strap down" feature for the would be drunk driver that seats himself/herself in the driver seat.

With arms and feet under control, the only thing the car should need is the programmed destination.

Does anyone seriously want to take-over autonomous control back to piloted control, when the driver is impaired? Really?

The down-side - they don't "like" you, they send your ride over the nearest cliff.

In reply to #16

09/13/2017 3:54 PM

Way ahead of you...

In reply to #22

09/13/2017 4:43 PM

Where are the leg straps? Straight jacket? Surely that is required equipment for anyone letting "Microsoft" drive their car!

In reply to #24

09/14/2017 6:07 PM

That's the back seat, no pedals....Microsoft only controls the wash down cycle, which may result in a "in car" shower now and then...

In reply to #40

09/15/2017 8:56 AM

Are you sure that is not the "passenger auto-dissolve" feature?

Good Answers: 2

09/13/2017 4:56 PM

The photo of the crash test dummy looks almost human !!

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 48 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Brave Sir Robin (2); dj95401 (1); James Stewart (8); lyn (6); rashavarek (9); redfred (1); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (4); SWB123 (2); tcmtech (3); The Wizard (2); wrenchtwirler (9)

Previous in Forum: Glass Cooler Repair   Next in Forum: New Metamaterial Enhances Natural Cooling Without Power Input

Advertisement