CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Interview   Next in Forum: Capacity Calculation of Air Compressor
Close
Close
Close
14 comments
Guru
CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 12

What to Do When Your Furnace Misbehaves

09/15/2017 11:06 AM

Excellent practical advice from one of Engineering360's newer authors.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: furnaces
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 209

Re: What to Do When Your Furnace Misbehaves

09/15/2017 11:07 AM

Put it on time out?

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155
In reply to #1

09/15/2017 12:12 PM

Or you could spank the furnace, for whatever good that will do, I hear they are incorrigible. Besides, spanking the furnace may induce particle shedding.

Fortunately, we are not joined at the hip to our furnaces, and they can be replaced.

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

In reply to #3

09/15/2017 1:31 PM

These are not the old days James. If you spank your furnace now, somebody calls F.P.S. (Furnace Protective Services) and you go to jail.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #7

09/15/2017 1:46 PM

Heck, people shoot furnaces all the time, and they don't go to jail! Never mind these are cement furnaces making Portland and wet cure for the oil patch. When those rotating tube furnaces get the "clinkers", they shoot them with 12 ga. machine shotguns to knock it all down. I think they have to use iron slugs these days, not the familiar lead ones.

If we were talking monkeys, I am not touching any such subject.

In reply to #8

09/15/2017 2:16 PM

If you read the article, you would have seen it was about domestic residential furnaces, not industrial ones. You can't commit domestic abuse against an industrial furnace, just residential. The law states if the furnace does not reside in your residence, you can do anything you want to it. Get with it, James.

In reply to #9

09/15/2017 2:44 PM

OK already. I remember a detective story on ID channel where domestic furnace abuse took place by landlord (it was a Joe Kenda episode), and the family living there stopped living. He definitely went to the slammer for a long time.

Good Answers: 771

09/15/2017 11:55 AM

I show mine vidoes of other furnaces that are in worse houses than mine or even the scrap yard so that it can see how lucky it is.

If that doesn't work, I go with some old school discipline grandpa taught me and beat it with a hammer cause nothing walks away from a good hammer beat down without rethinking the actions that lead up to it.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1588

09/15/2017 12:21 PM

I just watch the "Christmas Story" and get some pointers from "the old man."

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #4

09/15/2017 12:32 PM

Yes, his were the choicest words on record, that can be mostly repeated in pleasant company.

Good Answers: 1129
In reply to #4

09/15/2017 12:38 PM

09/15/2017 3:59 PM

BestInShow, although there are actually good tips in your article (every home owner should know), where did you think this thread would go with that title? Every reply on here is O.T.

You got to know us by now.

B.T.W. It is a good article, although I think every homeowner should know those things, I also know many do not. That's why Mr. HVAC gets big $$$$ for an emergency call to come out and hit the reset button or light your pilot light.

09/15/2017 4:16 PM

I would like to add to the article on #3. Furnace smells strange.

Last year, when I first started my furnace for the season, I could swear I smelled roasted chicken. This went on for a week or so and would disappear and come back through out the winter. In the spring, we had an early warm up, and a good storm that blew my pilot light out. I opened the door to light the pilot and the were about a dozen little skulls in there with a bunch of assorted bones.

My rain cap blew off the stack and birds were getting down in the burner chamber. I then knew why my cats were so interested with the furnace door vent at times.

Good Answers: 1588

09/15/2017 5:15 PM

Any advice for furnaces that suffer from neglect?

Ours in Minn. just cowers in the basement and comes on religiously when the indoor temp falls below 58°F all winter long, enough to keep the house warm enough so nothing freezes.

Then, when we're there for a week in the summer I hardly give it a glance. Oh, I'll change the filters and then it just sits there in the basement unappreciated for another year.

Seriously, the post has some good advice for home owners.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #13

09/18/2017 8:56 AM

Oil or gas? You still should have the air plenum checked for leaks. Seems something has been going to your head here of late.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

James Stewart (5); JPool (5); lyn (2); SolarEagle (1); tcmtech (1)

Previous in Forum: Interview   Next in Forum: Capacity Calculation of Air Compressor

Advertisement