CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Hearing Damage in U.S. Diplomats in Cuba   Next in Forum: It's That Time Again: The IgNobel Prizes Are Back
Close
Close
Close
86 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 1586

Working for Peanuts

09/15/2017 1:46 PM

Having worked for a municipality for 15 years, I still get employment solicitations crossing my desk kitchen table periodically.

Here are the requirements for for a local, municipal Planning Intern:

"Graduation from a college or university accredited by an agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education or Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) with a Bachelor’s or Masters Degree in Urban Planning or a closely related field within 24 months prior to the close date of the recruitment."

Here is the compensation offered:

"$11.33 per hour, Internship is for up to nine (9) months. This is a FLSA non-exempt position with no benefits."

This position is basically a gofer and they want 4-5 years of college for $11.33/hour compensation for a 30 hour a week job? That's $339.00 a week!

Something is wrong with this picture!

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 152

Re: Working for Peanuts

09/15/2017 1:57 PM

Why work for a city when they can go work at McDonald's for almost the same wages, less crap, and better (existing benefits).

Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 335

09/15/2017 2:38 PM

Hey,.. with a Masters Degree in, lets say,... Sociology... the compensation as well as work expected, It's a perfect match...

Not a damn thing wrong with this picture...

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #2

09/15/2017 2:45 PM

Should have gone for that marketing degree! LOL.

Way to go trade schools!

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #3

09/15/2017 2:55 PM

or,..

• philosophy... that's surprising is pretty popular... I know a girl that never did get a job after graduation... so she got married instead.
  • as well as theater lighting. Working the drive through now.
  • Graphic Design... you top out salary-wise pretty quickly... after a few years, they let you go, because the fresh face right out of college is willing to work for peanuts to gain experience... just like the Graphic Designer had 5 years prior did.

Good Answers: 23
In reply to #2

09/16/2017 6:31 PM

The thing about Megan and Mark is that Megan can tell Mark what to do ( even though Megan has no practical experience and she read it in a book someplace ) and if the project goes haywire because Megan screwed up, she can blame it on Mark and he will end up getting the short end of the stick while Megan skates on by.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Location: Baytown Tx. USA where you get your gasoline,chemicals,plastics and floods
Good Answers: 6
In reply to #2

09/18/2017 7:57 AM

I have a bud of mine who helps us out on electronic assembly. He is going to a 2 year course for refinery operator.

He gets out and will be making 100K$/yr +.

In this area , Baytown Tx. , he is assured a job.

This area is crying for operators and even has bidding wars between companies going on.

In reply to #51

09/18/2017 8:10 AM

To some, that's not unexpected... there is a confidence in the economy now that was direly needed.

In our area... to get hire your have to pass a drug test before your hired,... there are companies that now push back that the drug test to be done 6 months after your hired...

My girlfriends son when he returned from his tour in Iraq, (Mechanic) had a job waiting for in in Odessa, TX. All the over time he wanted... he was working 12/6 at minimum, it's usually more....(to be young, greedy and have the drive, ) ... he worked it for (2) years then returned to but and take over his dads apple and cherry orchards..., then when he did returned, his dad didn't want to give it up.

So along with working the orchard with his dad, and full time job in town with over time,... He purchase some construction equipment, and any remaining free time his doing small construction jobs... gives me hope for these Millennials.

Unfortunately, his social life with his significant other suffers.

Guru

09/15/2017 2:56 PM

Almost any of the trades would be a better deal, if one is undecided on a career. OK, roofing, AC repair and landscaping here in Arizona in the summertime don't count.

Teachers are probably the least appreciated, most underpaid group of professionals there is today.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru

In reply to #5

09/15/2017 2:59 PM

The guy's job I took after he left this company, after he got out of High School he wanted to be a machinist... work it a few years, then decided no, he wanted to be on the other end, so he got his BSME... never met the guy,... but I looked over his work and he was pretty damn good.

Teachers are probably the least appreciated, most underpaid group of professionals there is today.

And unfortunately, also the most protected, which the few poor ones brings down the lot.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Location: Vancleave, Ms about 30 miles inland from Biloxi and the coast
Good Answers: 103
In reply to #6

09/15/2017 3:13 PM

The real problem with teachers is the teachers union. The union is 100% democratic/liberal and that means teachers must teach a liberal orientated syllabus. I am not a democrat or a republican, but I do support conservative values, something the left seems to hate. Please don't take this as a political statement as politics has no place within these on-line forums.

In reply to #8

09/15/2017 3:22 PM

The real problem with teachers is the teachers union.

That's the point I was making...

In reply to #8

09/15/2017 5:05 PM

"The union is 100% democratic/liberal and that means teachers must teach a liberal orientated syllabus"

That is not only a political statement, it is totally wrong!

Mississippi ranks 46th in union strength in the USA. They can't be very strong there. They are also one of the lowest states in per-pupil at, yep, 46th out of 51.

Your suggestion that teachers are forced to teach a liberal orientated syllabus is ridiculous!

Take a look at which state dictates what goes into textbooks and you will find it is Texas.

How Texas Inflicts Bad Textbooks on Us | by Gail Collins | The New ...

Texas Hits The Books : NPR Ed : NPR

You just can't get much more conservative than Texas!

Register to Reply Score 2 for Off Topic
Guru

In reply to #20

09/15/2017 6:54 PM

That is not only a political statement, it is totally wrong.

Mississippi started as a poor state and still is. That reflects a lot on their educational system where they can't fire them because they can't find replacements.

Good Answers: 771
In reply to #20

09/15/2017 7:00 PM

Way to hand pick your reference material (yet apparently not actually have read it) in order to make your claim look valid despite the majority knowing better.

"The New York Review of books"? WTF sort of reference is that and how exactly does their report on Texas and their school systems educational materials selection process relate to Mississippi's educational status in general?

What does Mississippi's educational system and Texas's educational material selection issues have to do with being an accurate representation of the majority of the other 49 states and their school systems that are unionized and or just ran by hard left liberals who will push their agendas to no end?

What's wrong with using, say, North Dakota where, like Texas, the much of our schools are not unionized plus even the ones that are are largely ran by a conservative driven educational process to misrepresent the reality of what majority of the country deals with regarding highly liberalized educational systems?

Using non unionized teaching state's standards to imply relevance to states that have both unionized teaching processes problems and or very poor educational system support in general due to both population and financial support really doesn't suport you very well.

State Teacher union rankings. Texas 44, Mississippi 46.

Methinks that, once again you really didn't put much effort into actually reading your refacing material before linking to it.

(seriously, the reality that you are going to get hard fact checked, and called out if wrong, in everything you claim should not be a surprise anymore.)

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #23

09/15/2017 7:15 PM

Go away and pollute another forum, little man!

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 4)
Guru

In reply to #25

09/15/2017 10:26 PM

Nobody believes you. We're all familiar with your game and it's stupid sad to know your a old man that insists on playing a foolish childs ego game. And for what exactly? It just makes you look dumb at best.

Its painfully obvious you're doing your damnedest to project your own ignorance and feelings inadequacy on others. This is not a forum of simple minded fools that will fall your old worn out liberal half wit troll game play tactics. It's no one here's first day at the half wits idiots rodeo so quit trying to sell it as that.

We all know how small of a man you are now. You lost the game of wits a long time ago and have been nothing but a sore loser ever since and most everyone here knows it.

We all know the game you play and see it for being little more than the game simple ignorant children and petty old fools play in order to not have to admit they are not anywhere near as capable in life and they wish to be seen for which means the harder you try to win it the more pathetic it makes you and you alone look.

Quit while you're ahead and still have the respect of a few people here. I have very little to lose in this game no matter how badly you want it to be the other way around. You screwed up so deal with it.

Go find a therapist and have a talk with them before it's too late. It's clear you really need it.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 4)
Guru

In reply to #25

09/18/2017 8:31 AM

Lyn: There are unions in Texas, but it is an open-shop state, where one is not required to join a union in order to be employed.

The main problem with the poor education in Texas stems from two things (1) non-native English speaking student population due to high immigration, and (2) teachers that are not qualified (although allowed) to teach STEM. Maybe that carries over into other subjects where these teachers have about the knowledge depth of an atomic layer. I don't have a dog in the fight, so I can say I do not any longer care what Texas does with the edumacational system here. Not my problem, or really an area of interest.

In reply to #54

09/18/2017 8:37 AM

In reply to #20

09/18/2017 8:24 AM

So then my next question: who gets selected to be on the school book committee. I have heard this is a controversial issue here in Texas. There have been squabbles.

There will be mistakes, issues, controversy, arguments, etc. Always is in public life in Texas.

In reply to #53

09/18/2017 8:36 AM

In reply to #6

09/15/2017 3:58 PM

Well teachers w.r.t. the ones protected by teacher's unions are very hard to uproot.

This guy you were talking about ..."wanted to be on the other end". I didn't know you could machine a machinist! LOL

In reply to #14

09/18/2017 7:46 AM

This guy you were talking about ..."wanted to be on the other end". I didn't know you could machine a machinist! LOL

well, at least someone laughed at your joke...

In reply to #5

09/15/2017 3:56 PM

...and let's not forget that teachers are in a unique position to indoctrinate all those young minds. And we all know where that leads...wink,wink, nod, nod.

By the way, Lyn, I handed you another GA, so please don't rag on me, it is too near the weekend festivities.

In reply to #13

09/16/2017 7:48 PM

Funny you should mention that... in second grade, I leaned towards Nixon. And stood, on the '68 election. Teacher really scolded me... and now when you look at what Nixon actually did, is nothing compared to how the constitution has been violated.

In reply to #48

09/20/2017 2:17 PM

Wow you hit several nails on the head with that one!

Boomerang big time, baby! Tick-tock, tick-tock! What goes around comes back around, maybe bigger and stinkier. We will see who goes under the bus next.

It is truly scary to think that Foggy Bottoms (Langley) may have been wasting time looking inward, when their focus needed to be outward, on someone besides the Russians. Last time I checked Russians are targeting Guam or Japan.

Good Answers: 45
In reply to #70

09/20/2017 2:24 PM

Think bigger my friend. We are currently involved in World War three.

As for NK and Russia, Russia is most likely where NK got its upgrades in nuke and missile technology. We currently are "fighting" Russia in several places on the planet via Proxy war. Then there is the Social Media war and the Really awesome job of disinformation they are doing.

The game is already afoot and we are late to the party, which is actually fairly common for us historically.

In reply to #71

09/20/2017 2:29 PM

Your move comrade...

In reply to #72

09/20/2017 3:39 PM

Feeling lucky comrade?

Let's see what Sergio Leone can do with this plot...

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #5

09/15/2017 10:56 PM

"Teachers are probably the ... most underpaid group of professionals there is today."

Not today they aren't. I have a feeling you're in the same age bracket as me - old.

In reply to #30

09/15/2017 11:41 PM

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, has the list of what every individual teach makes in the state of Wisconsin... I think they still up date it...

quite interesting.... the truth will set you free... well for some people it will... others on the other hand,... well, what can I say. They know who they are... they just project their own disorder onto others that he/she disagree with...

In reply to #31

09/16/2017 1:15 AM

What part of "teacher" don't you understand?

There is not a single "teacher's" salary listed in your referenced site.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #34

09/16/2017 6:17 AM

Easy Lyn.... Yep they changed it like I mentioned it,... it used to be you could search under any criteria such as School name, district, teach name, etc... an example, if you enter district, and it would list all the teachers in the district.

They must of abandon it and moved it... found it....

here,... since most wouldn't know a name, just enter a common name in the name like Johnson, Smith or jones, let's try 'jones'. It'll return all teachers names Jones from all the districts. Or select a school district, and it will display all from that district...

The only problem... they used to also list the benefit packages, they no longer put in the benefit package which was cherry. Select a district, it'll list all the teachers from the district.

When Wisconsin Government Walker enacted 'Act 10' the budget repair bill. So, Wisconsin won't turn out like Illinois on the verge of bankruptcy.

The budget repair bill, basically had the teacher put out healthcare insurance for private insurancers to bid on, and also make it easier to reward the good teachers, and discipline the bad. The teachers cried, they said, student education will suffer. Well Wisconsin actually improved, to number 11, but we have a ways to go.

well all those liberals who were crying 'its about the children, the children are going to suffer bs' well they ended up being wrong... when it comes to being wrong, you know the feeling...

In reply to #35

09/16/2017 10:14 AM

I hate being a teacher... but some people are just so stuck in themselves in a hole so deep of their own making, you have to lend a hand and lift them up... but not without PPE... remember,... safety first.

In reply to #34

09/16/2017 10:30 AM

I'm guessing you haven't been in or around a school system for what? 50+ years?

Many people in the administrative end of a school system do double duty and teachers and field 1 - 3 classes a day thusly very much qualifying them as actual "teachers' who "teach " students even if their primary job title doesn't actually call them a teacher of XYZ subjects'.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru

In reply to #37

09/16/2017 11:13 AM

The answer there,..l just had to put on my teaching hat.

In reply to #37

09/16/2017 12:56 PM

I see that you, and tweedle dumber, both hold PhD degrees in trolling.

I can find no proof that school administrators also teach classes in Wis.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 6)
Guru

In reply to #39

09/16/2017 1:23 PM

Ignorance, sloth, arrogance and general stupidity on your part is not everyone else's fault or problem. Unless you're hillary clinton of course, to which given how her new book apparently reads I have very strong suspicions you have adopted it as your new play book?

So have you ever talked to any school administration level people or teacher in wisconsin or anywhere else to actually fact check yourself before making your absurd claim/accusation/reveal of your own continuing ignorance of reality?

As far as my credentials in public schools go, well to be honest, I have family that have worked in the systems all their live who are in both the teaching end and administration end and I can assure that in most schools various people in the admitiatraive end pick up some teaching work themselves and it's a common thing nationwide.

Not all administrative people in every school but it's still a very common thing in most schools to have some do it.

For you to not know this sort of basic information just enforces the ever growing view on this forum that it's you that is now so out of touch with reality its sad.

You're nothing but a petty ignorant troll now. False accusations and denial of your own ignorance is all you have to work with.

Wisconsin Administration/Principal/Teacher Certification requirements. Yes, administrative level people can and many do teach classes in Wisconsin, Dumbass.

Guru

In reply to #40

09/16/2017 2:33 PM

Two worthless opinions do not represent anyone's views, except your own. Knowing someone who is a teacher does not give you any credentials. It just proves that you are a blow hard with a gigantic ego!

Do you speak for this forum now? I think not. Your opinions carry no more (indeed less) weight than any others. Remember, everyone has an opinion. That doesn't make them right.

You two are just trolls, nothing more.

I'm through responding to you, unless you have something constructive to say.

Guru

In reply to #41

09/16/2017 2:54 PM

You have no idea what value is... your a troll on your own thread... lol.... anyways,...

Your psycological project disorder is showing again... I thought maybe you'd have gotten that address,..

or maybe your should try thinking, before you cut. Just a thought.

In reply to #43

09/16/2017 6:20 PM

Amendment to my post

Thats 'psychological projection disorder'.

Done to keep a disparate troll from stopping and nitpicking on trying to get something right.

In reply to #41

09/16/2017 5:37 PM

We may not have credentials you would accept, and even if we did you still would not accept them anyway, but so far we have given factual confirmable information which counters your easily disproven claims, again.

Not that it matters. When someone has to pull the 'Credentials' card out to try and discredit a fact it more often than not shows they are playing the typical cowards game they can not defend with their own rational factual information.

One's own credentials are irrelevant if they can give factual confirmable proof of their statements rather than fall back to cowardly name calling and running away as you most always do.

A known and proven troll like yourself calling others, who have continually proven you to be a troll does not in fact make the others a troll. If anything, just shows what a cowardly ignorant little piece of nothing you have become through your willingness to stoop so low as to use such childish tactics as a way out.

Guru

In reply to #40

09/18/2017 8:44 AM

You are letting yourself get sucked into the "Lyn vortex of spiralling denegration", pull up, pull up, ground warning, pull up, pull up!

In reply to #58

09/18/2017 8:52 AM

Lyn: "Come on in, the waters fine...."

In reply to #39

09/16/2017 2:43 PM

Lyn your bs is showing again, better pull your head out and get some fresh air... or maybe you should quit while you're just behind...,

You cried about the earlier post and said something about if I knew what a teacher is..., I'm took my finger pressed to your nose and walked you through how to find the salary.

and yes,... depends on the school the union represents, administrations do step and fill in... my brother is a teacher,... it seems all teachers have multiple jobs... and what they do is double dip on benefits by doing so. and unlike you, me, being from Wisconsin experience it... you on the other hand, is just a grumpy old man that only has a mouth.

and talking as thou you know... the ones that do know... is on to you.

keep it up, and you'll shut down your own thread. Of course you'd blame others for it.

In reply to #39

09/18/2017 8:43 AM

IMHO there is no degree program offered anywhere that is more over-rated than school administration, and one of my wife's sons is married to a Ph.D. in it, and is probably the dumbest twit I know, and pretends to have a lot of class, when she really does not know what class is, or what a class is.

Frankly, Lyn, I am getting tired of your attacks on other posters here. Your opinion only counts until it drops out of your mouth and hits the floor, and that is about as far as it reaches.

Good Answers: 45
In reply to #31

09/18/2017 3:20 PM

Yep, Freudian projection seems to be a common disorder on both short ends of the Bell curve.

In reply to #62

09/18/2017 3:25 PM

I never noticed that (or forgot about it), but you're correct. it makes sense too,... but for different reasons...

Thanks,

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

09/15/2017 3:01 PM

Somewhere back after the second world war, the DOD made it a requirement that all people who held administrative or engineering positions have a valid college degree. This was after the ships of the U.S. Navy were designed and built by non-degreed individuals who built the best ships in the world that won the war. Sure, it's great to have a degree, but that's not what builds ships; it's experience. I can remember when there would be one engineer for 30+ designer/drafters. Today, it's more like one engineer for every two d/d'ers. Off course the Navy has changed over the years. Smaller, lighter ships equipped with countermeasures now replace the monsterous battleships.

In reply to #7

09/15/2017 4:01 PM

Yes, history taught many of the battleships a 500 lb lesson from above, or a one or two ton one from just under the surface...

The greatest shipyards in the world used to be in Green and Lovely Ireland. Home of most of my ancestors.

Yes, although I am not ginger, I am the red-headed stepson here at work.

Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 11
In reply to #7

09/20/2017 1:10 PM

This sort of progression is a natural (?) consequence of non-degreed, hands-on designers, with a wealth of relevant expertise, over time, having becoming supervised more and more by degreed, hands-off, people with a dirth of management experience over a lot less time ...

... and simplicity continues to lose-out to complexity ...

In reply to #65

09/20/2017 1:17 PM

Management: "I'm sorry,... I don't see any letters following your name,.. so you opinion does not count."

In reply to #66

09/20/2017 1:34 PM

What about , Jr.?

In reply to #67

09/20/2017 1:39 PM

Oh... you mean the owners nephew?...

In reply to #68

09/20/2017 1:49 PM

No, that would be nephewtism.

09/15/2017 3:20 PM

Our company was bought out by a multi-national, multi-billion dollar a year foreign company almost (2) years ago.

Our Electrical Engineering Manager doesn't have a license , but is a licensed Electrician, he handled and did all of the controls for the last 25-30 years here. The Operations Manager and Future Production Manger underling of his, were trying to get him out. First by moving him out of his office like the guy in the meme from the movie 'The Office" Then they found, that this guy knew he's stuff... so they're tolerating him...

Operations Manager was like the manager from the movie 'The Office',... or 'Office Space'??? only a lot shorter,... and a lot more rounder...

In reply to #9

09/15/2017 4:03 PM

Fatness has a tendency to rise to the top. Just remember that they cannot outrun the guy next to them in a dance with a bear.

In reply to #9

09/15/2017 9:22 PM

Correction to the sentence and should read

Our Electrical Engineering Manager doesn't have a license degree

and btw, he is a very competent engineering manager as well as a electrical engineer.

CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 12

09/15/2017 3:30 PM

This job ad reflects (at least some) employers' belief that there are a lot more applicants than jobs. No, the recession is over, and qualified people no longer have to take crap jobs. In the course of researching an article for the IEEE Career site I ran across a quote from a smart HR person. She said that businesses are losing some potentially excellent employees by asking for the sun, moon and stars in job ads.

Example: our friends' daughter, just graduated magna cum laude from a difficult and highly competitive acoustical engineering program, one or two summer internships, can't find a job ad that doesn't insist on at least 2-3 years' experience. This is a field that's not overrun with applicants and--guess what?--she is FEMALE and ticks off that EEO box. Grr.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #11

09/15/2017 4:06 PM

I am just dumb enough to not understand what you are talking about. Imagine having a Ph.D. in physical chemistry with one year postdoctoral stint on top of it, and no job openings, but I never in my life went hungry.

God gives grace to the humble, but opposes the proud. I was once proud, now I am humbler (not perfected).

What every young engineer needs is a stint in the army or navy. Then hit the power generation scene, computer chip makers, etc.

In reply to #17

09/16/2017 12:03 AM

Imo,... if they bring back the Draft

In reply to #11

09/15/2017 6:51 PM

Exactly, our operations Director (roundy) feels that employees are a dime a dozen.

Now 'roundy' is bringing his people in. Fresh out of college with graduate degrees. And He introduced me to one 2 months before he graduate and highlighted his education... he introduce me as 'Steve, and I don't know what the hell he does around here.'

of course my response to that was, "Roundy, you've been here well over a year, and if you don't know what's going on by now, I can't help you."

We lost a high percentage of people that had 15 to over 25 years of experience since he took over. Average tender was about 15 years before 'roundy' took control. Now we have an average of 3-4 years an employee has been working at the company... and that's with a few 25-30 employees holding up the right side of the bell curve statistically speaking.

corporate was complaining about our lost time due to accident rates are unexceptable at our meetings (36. Incidents in the prior month) I pointing out about the experience level dropped from an average 15 years experience down to around 3. And added that prior to the company's 'purge' this term I used got a lot of attention and got back to roundy probably why he trying to get rid of me.. of experience personal, where we went 2 years accident free prior to the purge.

In reply to #11

09/15/2017 7:13 PM

I agree that many businesses and municipalities overstate their job requirements. Degrees are often over valued.

One problem may be that the person needing an engineer may not even be given a chance to review the applicants, until some HR person, who very likely knows NOTHING about the position has picked their favored candidates and left the best applicants in the round file because that person didn't use the right key words.

Hats off to your friend's daughter. Acoustics is a fascinating field, not devoid of black magic.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #11

09/15/2017 11:49 PM

My girlfriends daughter graduated with (2) undergraduate degrees, Geology and Environment. She's working in the cheese plant for the same reason... but, a lot is on her shoulders... when opportunity presents its self, she doesn't open the door.

And when the job listing states at Least 3-5 years experience she doesn't apply. She needs to apply herself.

In reply to #32

09/16/2017 3:04 PM

Addendum.

To clarify,

My girlfriends daughter, She's working in a cheese plant, packing cheese,... not working in environmental..

In reply to #44

09/18/2017 8:54 AM

Well at least she is not cutting the cheese!

In reply to #60

09/18/2017 9:16 AM

I won't say that... lol....

09/15/2017 3:46 PM

I've come across Chinese engineers that couldn't get a job in the U.S. so they opened a restaurant and are now making big money.

In reply to #12

09/15/2017 4:09 PM

So it is in the land of milk and honey where good things flow as a river. More good things needed, more to follow.

Why do you suppose the Chinese workers that came to build the railroad from the California side, call the State: "Gold Mountain". I think the Chinese may have found California way before the Spaniards ever did. Maybe they left and failed to return for a while, but they are clearly some of our best and brightest.

Good Answers: 1125

09/15/2017 4:17 PM

Just because you went to school does not mean you don't have to pay your dues....

Location: Baytown Tx. USA where you get your gasoline,chemicals,plastics and floods
Good Answers: 6

09/15/2017 7:24 PM

"$11.33 per hour

About what an Uber driver makes.

In reply to #26

09/15/2017 8:08 PM

Yes, and it doesn't take a degree to drive a car.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 700

09/18/2017 7:27 AM

Good rant.

09/20/2017 12:30 PM

The opertive term here is Intern ...

Guru

09/20/2017 10:16 PM

There are several reasons why someone with impressive credentials can't get a job;

1. The job applicant doesn't want to leave the area.

2. The person may be considered over-qualified for the position.

3. The job applicant may be asking for too much money. New hires are usually under

a probationary period.

4. The job applicant may not be a good communicator.

5. The interviewer may not know how to interview.

6. Someone higher up may already have someone picked for the job.

7. Poor resume. Many times a professional resume writer makes the difference.

8. Dress code. Someone applying for a job at Apple may not be the same as

applying at General Mills or other more conservative company.

9. Who is the interviewer? Is it a he or she? is the interviewer's job strictly

interviewing or is he/she the actual person you will be working for. That is very important. The former will go by a set of rules. The latter will be able to see how you will fit in.

I'm sure there are many other reasons, but one should never give up when looking for a job. Especially when starting out with your first job, don't try looking for the "perfect" job. It can take many years to find it and some never do find it. In my 50+ years in the labor force, I have come close to the perfect job, but never quite reached it.

In reply to #74

09/21/2017 7:31 AM

Good work ronseto....

3. The job applicant may be asking for too much money. New hires are usually under a probationary period.

one thing with this is when one changes jobs,... very rarely do people want to move sideways, or down. I have to say, early in my career, I have, if its the job I wanted... but now,... it would be a tough decision... I like my benefits and vacation.

But I do know, the new graduates rarely will take a step back. And if there's an elevator to the top... they won't hesitate to use that and to skip the ladder. Which works against them not acquiring the valuable practical experience.

In reply to #74

09/21/2017 10:19 AM

Basically, anyone waiting on that perfect job offer, is like a man sitting on the docks waiting for his ship to come in, when there is a dingy nearby that will take him where he wants to go, eventually.

Very few of us can or ever will bound from a green recruit all the way to general in one fell swoop.

Many are asking far too much of the employer. Many employers may not be asking enough of their scientific hires, or want to turn them back in to "grunts". Stupid thing to do.

In reply to #76

09/21/2017 10:49 AM

Agreed,.. my girlfriend daughter is complaining, that all the jobs require experience... I told her NO!,... the requirements is a wish list from the employer...

In reply to #77

09/21/2017 12:45 PM

All CEO-types did not (inherit their Father's Company), as their ''path to success'' but a few did start out (in the mailroom) in order to (get their foot in the door)...

In reply to #74

09/21/2017 1:00 PM

All good reasons...

Personally, regarding number 8, I was once turned-down for a (dream-grade-job) because I wore a brown suit to the interview... (It was all I owned, at that time...)

In reply to #79

09/21/2017 1:26 PM

George Gobel has some advice about 30 seconds in, know your audience,... too bad you missed it at that cross road in your life.

In reply to #80

09/21/2017 1:44 PM

None the less, it was a valuable lesson in the job-searching process, fresh out of College, some 36 years ago (and yes, I still have that suit, and yes, I can still comfortably fit into it... No. I don't actually wear it anymore, but it still has sentimental value...)

In reply to #82

09/21/2017 5:18 PM

And I like George Gobel dry sense of humor.

In reply to #80

09/21/2017 1:44 PM

....and not one single Japanese aircraft every made it past Tulsa!

In reply to #79

09/21/2017 1:42 PM

That is some seriously bad luck.

Good Answers: 8

09/22/2017 9:31 AM

Hey, can I work for peanuts too?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #85

09/22/2017 9:32 AM

Are you having a peanut shortage? How are you holding up on Spam?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

BestInShow (1); Casper71 (1); gutmonarch (1); James Stewart (21); lyn (8); MR. Guest (5); phoenix911 (33); PWSlack (1); rashavarek (2); ronc (2); ronseto (4); SolarEagle (1); tcmtech (5); tonyhemet (1)

Previous in Forum: Hearing Damage in U.S. Diplomats in Cuba   Next in Forum: It's That Time Again: The IgNobel Prizes Are Back

Advertisement