CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Britain is About to End its 250-Year Use of Coal for Power Generation   Next in Forum: At the risk...
Close
Close
Close
25 comments
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Location: Vancleave, Ms about 30 miles inland from Biloxi and the coast
Good Answers: 103

Computers, Smart Phones and Artificial Intelligence

09/19/2017 1:46 PM

From the dawning of computers, it was only the computer "geeks" who could communicate among themselves excluding the rest of the world. It became a closed society that only computer geeks could reside within. To this day, it is still a closed society.

Computer language was the sole province of those who could speak and understand computers. Computers for the first 20? years didn't get the attention of the general public until places like Microsoft and Apple made computers user-friendly. True, computers are wonderful things and most can use and profit from them, but how many people actually know what happens inside that black box with all the cables sticking out of it? The same can be said for smart phones. People of the present generation take to computers and smart phones like ducks to water. It's the older generation (like me) that has a hard time trying to keep up with progress.

My kids and grand kids can run circles around me (my wife included) when it comes to computers and smart phones. In fact, we have to go to them to fix issues with their use. Computers and smart phones remain a mystery to me despite my attempt at self-learning. I haven't found any books that can explain to me how they work, their nomenclature. I don't understand "3G or 4G", blue tooth, server, internet provider, WiFi, etc, etc. I work with Autocad© at home and I can pretty much find my way around, but it took me a long time with the aid of books like Autocad for Dummies and Windows XP for Dummies to become a little bit more comfortable with them. For example, I bought an item called a WiFi adapter. It came in a box along with a CD; no explanation as to what to do with it, other than to say "plug it into a USB port and insert the CD". I don't know what a WiFi adapter is supposed to do. Does it extend the range of the signal to another device? or does it receive a signal?

Any device you buy tells you where to put it, but never describes how and what it does; at least not to someone who is computer challenged. I have similar problems with smart phones. I have one and it has all sorts of applications on it. When I bought it, at the insistence of my kids to join the modern world, the store where I bought it didn't (or maybe couldn't) explain what a smart phone does, except to say "how did you live so long without one".

I have many issues with computers and smart phones and don't expect anyone to be able to help me understand, but if anyone could recommend a good source of knowledge, I would appreciate it greatly. Maybe there are more books from the "Dummy" series that are available. I'm writing this thread now because I just signed up with Norton antivirus and now I have lost my E-mail, my browser? (Firefox) and other functions I have gotten used to over the years. I still run Windows XP and am thinking of upgrading, but I am afraid that my Autocad© won't work with a new system and if I will lose my files. So far, these computer/communications providers haven't addressed these issues, at least so I can understand. When I ask a question, the answer is always some other words that I don't understand. They seem to assume everyone understands this technology. I wonder if it is too late for me to catch up.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 237

Re: Computers, Smart phones and Artificial Intelligence

09/19/2017 2:22 PM

You won't get your old version of AutoCAD to run on a newer machine, and, a new version of AutoCAD will cost you a fortune.

However IMSI who created TurboCAD do a free AutoCAD Lt lookalike called DoubleCAD.

It's free and if you're used to AutoCAD you you should pick it up fairly easily.

https://www.turbocad.com/content/doublecad-xt-v5

Good Answers: 1141

09/19/2017 2:42 PM

I would take your xp machine off line and get a new computer, then set up file sharing between the two computers....that way you can continue to use your old familiar machine and slowly learn how the new machine works, and be protected on line...and use your wifi to communicate between the two machines....Now we have all the knowledge in the world here, and you can tackle issues one at a time, with our help....Trying to do everything at once can be overwhelming, but one at a time is a path to victory....

In reply to #2

09/19/2017 5:53 PM

Norton works great, I have it on my computers...

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155
In reply to #2

09/20/2017 8:47 AM

That is basically what I did with my XP machine, but I made the (additional) mistake of taking out to my cold, cold shop, and apparently some moisture condensation took place, and then she stopped booting up at all. She was a good old girl too.

Then I compounded my mistake by buying what I thought was a laptop from HP, it was more of a folding tablet, with this pushy thing about some cloud somewhere, but clouds never hang around in West Texas, and soon the memory overflowed. Now, it is more of a largish blue paper weight.

In reply to #12

09/20/2017 11:33 AM

I keep stuff on google drive and icloud....very handy.....google drive gives 17 GB free space and you can link others to your files that you want to share....a lot easier than youtube...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3g0SkXHpF2iMHBIQXZ4XzVpemc

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #14

09/20/2017 12:17 PM

That was scary! I clicked on that and google id'd me as my cell phone account, even though I am logged on at work. No more midgets taking leisurely bus rides.

In reply to #15

09/20/2017 12:44 PM

I think they prefer to be called Little People....

In reply to #19

09/20/2017 1:28 PM

Those sheep are almost as scary as clowns!

Yes, the wee folk, have their dignity, and their integrity.

Have ne'er caught a Leprechaun on a bus, though.

Saw when I was driving home a rainbow ending what could have been my back yard, the only wee folk I saw out there, was one of my tiny dogs, and a mouse.

09/19/2017 4:07 PM

anything Norton was your first mistake. McAfee is in that same class of product that totally takes over your device and essentially "wrecks" it, so the bad guys can't get in, but after that, why would they want to?

There are several kinds of internet signal: (1) hard-wired typically connected by "Ethernet" cable, (2) direct cellular signal (this is the minutes and memory usage you get charged for as a customer, and (3) LAN Wifi - wireless signal with limited range, and access restricted by the administrator of the network to a password requirement.

If you have your own Wifi- either by setting up your cell phone as a hot spot, or by employing a wireless adapter (ethernet router with Wifi) - you will want to make sure you can keep your LAN secure, otherwise sneaky people will always be in or trying to get in and look over your shoulder.

As to Autocad, make a call to the software company, and see if you can upgrade without loss of information content.

Other than that, you may be forced to save your Cad drawings into some other compatible file format, and then do the upgrade, and import them into the upgraded system in the new release compatible file format.

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 213

09/19/2017 4:30 PM

If you get a new computer, try getting one with Win 7. You still can, but have to ask for a downgrade. The learning curve is much lower going from XP to 7, then it is going from XP to 10.

And Norton (Symantec) does have some good products, we use EndPoint. Curtiss-Wright Corporate pays for it, and makes us use it on our home computers if we use them to check our email or any other work related things. Click a couple of boxes and they can't touch your computer and you get free top of the line protection, can't beat that.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

In reply to #4

09/19/2017 8:41 PM

If I go win 7, in a few years, MS will stop supporting that and force me to upgrade$$$.

In reply to #8

09/20/2017 8:48 AM

One option my postman told me about is take your new Windows 10 computer, and set up a virtual Windows 7 machine on it. Forget Windows 8.

As to security software, I let my computer guy (the name of his business) load whatever he wanted to. I have also considered the only security software that is truly made in America, wife hates it because she says it will not let any of her software run, I suppose there are trust issues?

PCMatic, I believe is what it is called. I have never used it actually, and wonder if anyone here has experience with it. I believe you have to update the trust list very often at first, sort of like a learning curve.

In reply to #4

09/20/2017 8:44 AM

I still don't trust Norton any further than I can fling 'em.

Good Answers: 1598

09/19/2017 4:49 PM

If you back up your system regularity, you can simply go back to an earlier restore point, before the new software install and restore your system to the earliest backup you did before that install.

It's in Control Panel; backup and restore in XP if I recall.

Try that, you have nothing to lose.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #5

09/19/2017 8:28 PM

After installing Norton, I tried to restore, but there were no restore points. I cancelled Norton and now my computer is back to normal.

Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Car Customizing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 14
In reply to #7

09/20/2017 6:51 AM

If you are interested in an Antivirus protection suite, that works well, and won't take over your computer. Try AVG Free. I have been running it on all of my devices for years now and have never had an incident with virus intrusion or my computer being taken over.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 341
In reply to #9

09/20/2017 8:29 AM

I have to agree with that,... I had relativity no problems with Norton either.... McAffee on the other hand... I think they actually create work for themselves...

Good Answers: 116
In reply to #9

09/20/2017 12:28 PM

Avast! free is also a pretty good antivirus, similar to AVG.

In reply to #17

09/20/2017 12:37 PM

That is what Computer Guy set me up with.

In reply to #9

09/20/2017 8:23 PM

I tried to load AVG, but it won't accept XP.

In reply to #22

09/21/2017 10:15 AM

I am not sure who will accept XP at this point. Your best bet: take this beast off the internet, and get something in a medium priced laptop (not tablet computer) and use thumb rives to transfer working files back and forth, or an external hard drive.

Re: Computers, Smart Phones and Artificial Intelligence

09/20/2017 12:22 PM

To have AI, first there was PI, personal intelligence. They could not grow enough of it, and it only grows in the rarest of places, and subject to all manner of bad weather, poor temperatures (and temperament), so they had to build some smart houses (and then came the advent of artificial intelligence, when not even the smart houses could crank out enough, then they hired a chemist, and he synthesized it, so now they just pump some stuff around, heat it up, saw it off, and voila, AI comes out the spout where knowledge used to come out.

In reply to #16

09/21/2017 4:04 PM

I don't even understand AI, so I can't ask a question. I guess I will have to rely on my own brain to figure things out on a level plane.

In reply to #24

09/21/2017 5:04 PM

My sister has a Master's in A.I., but you can't ask her to answer anything that requires common sense in order to find the answer. Politically - we can't talk it at all, or religion, and it feels like she has this closed mind, that supposedly she got at Texas Tech, or at Purdue, or at Wayne State in Detroit? She used to be a beautiful Christian.

She still is someone I love, it just saddens me that so many wide topics are closed for business.

Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 24

09/20/2017 5:57 PM

I have heard both Norton and Macafee called "memory hogs." I use AVG paid version, but the free version seems to be OK too. Also have heard good about Avast. I run a scan once a month, but most suggest more often.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

IanR (1); James Stewart (10); JPool (1); Lehman57 (1); lyn (1); PeterT (1); phoenix911 (1); Randall (1); ronseto (4); SolarEagle (4)

Previous in Forum: Britain is About to End its 250-Year Use of Coal for Power Generation   Next in Forum: At the risk...

Advertisement