CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Earthquake Strikes off Coast of Japan   Next in Forum: Will Earth Take One On The Chin This Oct?
Close
Close
Close
10 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 210

Cold Winter Ahead

09/20/2017 6:02 PM

remember the Polar Vortex in the middle of the country and the record smashing snows that buried Boston? expect more of the same. stories of late summer snow like in Edmonton https://globalnews.ca/news/3755676/september-snow-blankets-edmonton-area-snowfall-warning-issued-for-parts-of-alberta/ as I type are popping up daily

our little Star has been sending us messages recently.scoff if you like just be sure to remember this Winter I told ya so.

will the ice caps be victims of phoney warming this year, will they go extinct? I say no. the National snow and Ice data center( yes it really exists. provides this chart on Arctic sea ice.

its clear heading into winter 2017 is ahead of 06 as well as 2016.sorry carbon fans

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1589

Re: cold winter ahead.

09/20/2017 6:11 PM

Way to go.

Keep us informed!

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 771

09/20/2017 6:17 PM

I hope not but i have to admit I have had this ominous feeling all year that this winter might be one of those arctic ass kickers we had when I was a kid.

I can't prove it but it just feels that way for some reason.

At least I have been putting a fair effort into having all my fuel and necessary winter reserves stocked up and ready to way bast 100% of normal capacity. In fact parts to fix a second 1000 gallon propane tank I picked up earlier this year just arrived this morning and I got that unit all set up plus transferred ~ 150 gallons into it to make sure it's good to go before I order another 1000 gallons of propane to get it plus my other tanks back up to full.

Beyond that i have around 5000 gallons of used oil on hand now with another ~ 1000 - 1400 to pick up this fall yet.

Come hell and 20 feet of snow at least I wont freeze for lack of fuel!

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 209

09/20/2017 6:51 PM

We will see..................

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 621

09/20/2017 7:48 PM

I've got some friends who are traveling next week from Atlanta to Jackson Hole, WY. It was in the upper 80s in Atlanta today. They were planning for Fall weather, but are going to be getting winter-like conditions. It'll be like going from mid-summer to mid-winter for them. I hope they remember to take their parkas.

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 175

09/21/2017 12:21 AM

Everyone around here is saying it's going to be a really bad winter - as if last winter wasn't bad enough! I forbid it to be true! We will have a mild winter, dammit!

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 751

09/21/2017 12:54 AM

It would be more reassuring if the shown deviations weren't all on the same side of average.

Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 11

Re: Cold Winter Ahead.

09/21/2017 1:28 PM

OK, but have (they) factored-in all the statistical effects of such things as an under-strength El Nino recently ?...

By the way, for each Atlantic storm that becomes a Hurricane, why do the dozen, or so, highly sophistcated computer models predict such differing projected paths on the Weather Channel maps? ...

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 209

Re: Cold Winter Ahead

09/21/2017 4:32 PM

Two weeks ago, in northern metro Detroit, I had to turn my furnace on. It was in the mid to low 40's for a couple of mornings, as of this moment, it is 88 degrees with a heat index of 94. Nobody predicted this extreme, so I will not believe a winter prediction until it happens, wild or mild, I will wait and see.

Good Answers: 210

09/22/2017 11:41 AM
Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1589
In reply to #9

09/23/2017 7:53 PM

Aside from the one on your head, is there a point to this thread.

Here, maybe this will help your case.

Have you nothing else to do?

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 10 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Fredski (1); JPool (2); lyn (2); Mikerho (1); MR. Guest (1); tcmtech (1); Tornado (1); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: Earthquake Strikes off Coast of Japan   Next in Forum: Will Earth Take One On The Chin This Oct?

Advertisement