CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: What is the Importance of CT Polarity in HV Substations and How is it Decided?   Next in Forum: Is it Possible to Rewire a Steamer Unit From 240V 3 Phase to 240V 2 Phase?
Close
Close
Close
4 comments
Active Contributor

Can IECEx Zone Rated Equipment Be Used in NEC Division Area?

09/21/2017 3:18 AM

Dears,

We are working for an Oil Platform refurbishment project.

The hazardous area of the platform was classified by NEC Article 500, with Class and Division system. While purchasing the electrical and instrument equipment, some of the European vendors say they cannot have the equipment NEC500 certified, they only have ATEX equipment according to IEC Class and Zone system. I know that the intention to have NEC article 501 and 505, is try to align those two hazardous area classification system. It is also saying that in Article 501, that NEC Zone equipment can be granted to use in Division system under such provisions.

But my question is,

Are the NEC Class I Zone 0,1,2 system same with IEC Zone 0,1,2 system? How an IECEx Zone equipment can get approved to use in Class/Division area, what kind of procedures must be done?

Appreciated for your kindest help!

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: nec
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 701

Re: Can an IECEx Zone rated equipment used in NEC Division area

09/21/2017 4:20 AM

<...Are the NEC Class I Zone 0,1,2 system same with IEC Zone 0,1,2 system?...> No, they aren't, exactly. If buying in Europe, ATEX is applicable, as it is an Europe-wide directive.

In reply to #1

09/21/2017 5:00 AM

Hi, thanks for the answering!

Do you know what's the exact differences between these two "zone system"? and How an IECEx Zone equipment can get approved to use in NEC Class/Division area?

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 701
In reply to #2

09/21/2017 8:16 AM

The question <...How an IECEx Zone equipment can get approved to use in Class/Division area, what kind of procedures must be done?...> is best answered by contacting the equipment suppliers directly. Do use the telephone.

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Location: California, USA, where the Godless live next door to God.
Good Answers: 732

Re: Can an IECEx Zone Rated Equipment Used in NEC Division Area

09/21/2017 1:20 PM

For the most part here, the equipment will be required to have some sort of "3rd party listing" for the hazardous environment. We don't allow "self certification / type testing" alone. So there are Classes and Divisions in our system as well, generally administered through the National Electric Code and equipment is listed by UL, FM (Factory Mutual), CSA or other acceptable "NRTL"s (Nationally Recognized Testing Labs), a list of which can be read here:

https://www.osha.gov/dts/otpca/nrtl/nrtllist.html

Note that some of the acceptable agencies are EU based, such as TUV, but you would still need for them to list it to OUR standards.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

JRaef (1); lovekobelxm (1); PWSlack (2)

Previous in Forum: What is the Importance of CT Polarity in HV Substations and How is it Decided?   Next in Forum: Is it Possible to Rewire a Steamer Unit From 240V 3 Phase to 240V 2 Phase?

Advertisement