CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Determine the Diameter of a Shaft Based on Torque and RPM   Next in Forum: Atlas Copco-GA15 Trips on Low Instrument Air Pressure
Close
Close
Close
14 comments
Associate

Max & Min Temperature for A216 Gr WCB

09/21/2017 10:03 AM

Hi Gents,

I just want to know the place where we can find standard maximum and minimum temperature of WCB material. I have referred ASME Sec II-D as well ASME B31.3. those standards only gives an idea about min. temperature alone.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Anonymous Poster #1

Re: Max & Min Temperature for A216 Gr WCB

09/21/2017 10:13 AM
Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 31

09/21/2017 10:26 AM

I assume that you are purchasing a valve for a piping system. A216-WCB is a cast carbon steel material. Maximum allowable temperature depends on the maximum operating pressure. These maxima are in accordance with ASME B series codes

Additionally, you should be aware that cast steel gate, globe and ball valves are frequently temperature limited by the buyers selection of valve seats, o-ring and gasket material.

Tell is more about your specific conditions ....

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 209

09/21/2017 11:59 AM

FYI : We are not just Gents here, the are ladies also.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155
In reply to #3

09/21/2017 12:23 PM

Well, I would not exactly call them that, ladies yes.

In reply to #3

09/22/2017 12:17 AM

Sorry for that. and i should have correct my self.

i have quite disappointed about the your focusing point rather than the main subject.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 6)
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 701
In reply to #7

09/22/2017 4:54 AM

<...disappointed...> Wow.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

09/21/2017 12:24 PM

Here's a couple numbers from my rabbit catching hat:

-20 F to 800 F. You supply the pressure, and de-rate accordingly.

In reply to #5

09/22/2017 12:15 AM

James, I just want to know how we have to decide that temp level. since i have referred B31.3 and got min temp.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

09/22/2017 9:50 AM

Dinesh: Cheer up amigo (Spanish for friend), we are only jabbing at you in jest.

AP#1 essentially handed you the answer on a silver platter in reply #1. You could ignore AP#1, but should you?

I told the absolute range of ratings for this cast steel. If you want exact numbers, then you best start thinking about the actual pressures the metal will be up against.

09/22/2017 5:29 AM

ASME B teenage series standards are good reference. Maximum and Minimum temperature may vary based on past experience and metallurgical degradation issues. Codes are not design handbooks. Use google or bing or any other internet search engines to get some useful project engineering specifications and compare/analyse the design difference of those specifications with respect to design values mentioned in applicable codes.Based on criticality of the application/profit margin/jurisdictional requirements, select more conservative design or less conservative design.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #9

09/22/2017 9:52 AM

Having rules of thumb, are better than not having thumbs at all!

Use the data as guideline, make prototype, and then run the bloody tests on it.

Good Answers: 34

09/22/2017 12:46 PM

http://www.samshinvalve.co.kr/m/pdf/t_01.pdf

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #12

09/22/2017 1:28 PM

samshinvalve pdf

There is the easy link to your inactive link above.

09/29/2017 10:49 PM

Hello Dinesh,

i am not clear what is the application for your material use.

it is usually a valve body material. If your question is on the high temperature limit of the valve and if it is a ASME design valve, you have to look for the pressure- temperature rating table in ASME B16.34. You know metal derates with temperature so is its stress value. Pressure is nothing but a kind of stress, we normally call normal / nominal stress in piping world. The P-T table in ASME B13.34 will give you the pressure limit for the Class of the valve (Class 150. 300 etc) for the design temp. For the piping system. The P-T ratings of the valve will vary on the material type.

Selecting a Flange also follows the same rule. To find P-T rating for flanges, follow ASME B16.5 tables.

if your question is a curiosity to know the upper temperature limit of the material A216 gr WCB, follow the A-1 table in ASME B31.3. As long as you see a basic allowable stress value, you are good to go up to that temp. But remember, your allowable stress value will be decreasing fast with increase in temp. In other words, the pressure rating of the material will be very low.

Remember that wherever you see a double vertical bar on the right of the allowable stress value, the use of the material above thae correspong temp is prohibited. You must follow the notes in Table-1.

Does it make any sense?

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 14 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

4u (1); Anonymous Poster (1); dineshd (2); Ganga D. Deka (1); James Stewart (5); JPool (1); MJCronin (1); PWSlack (1); Whitephone (1)

Previous in Forum: Determine the Diameter of a Shaft Based on Torque and RPM   Next in Forum: Atlas Copco-GA15 Trips on Low Instrument Air Pressure

Advertisement