CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: 385 Feet Wingspan — Now That's a Big Plane!   Next in Forum: Why Do Some Wine Bottles Have Punts? and Other Design Questions
Close
Close
Close
15 comments
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 701

High-Energy Cosmic Rays from Beyond This Galaxy

09/22/2017 9:03 AM

"Not to scare you, but you’re getting hit with radiation constantly. First, there’s just regular old light (yep, that’s a kind of radiation). Then there are low levels of higher energy radiation like the kind in nuclear reactors, including particles coming out of the soil and off of bananas. But the highest-energy radiation is the weirdest stuff. It’s literally out of this galaxy..."

https://gizmodo.com/highest-energy-cosmic-radiation-comes-from-a-mysterious-1818595559

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 8

Re: High-energy cosmic rays from beyond this galaxy.

09/22/2017 9:29 AM

Oh great, this supports my assumption before that, we could be alone in the universe. That all stars have been farted out by the galaxies.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 774

Re: High-Energy Cosmic Rays from Beyond This Galaxy

09/22/2017 11:01 AM

It's the exhaust from a craft traveling at Ludicrous Speed.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155
In reply to #2

09/22/2017 12:22 PM

Ludicrous, besides that might be offensive to Luddites.

Maybe it is that these particles are coming from the 4th dimension, but we see the effect as spatial anisotropy?

anything ring a bell here?

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

In reply to #3

09/22/2017 12:47 PM

I don't get it. Are you trying to imply similarities between antithetical concepts in an attempt to bewilder? (BWBS)

The famous COBE cosmic background radiation plot you paste shows the very tiny anisotropies in the cosmic background radiation. Cosmic rays are many orders of magnitude above anything considered to be microwave radiation.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #4

09/22/2017 1:31 PM

No, even though usually all I have is BWBS, because I sure can't blind anyone with my brilliance.

Thinking sort of (if you call that thinking), aloud.

Sorry for the extra "noise".

Yes, I get that cosmic rays can be so energetic that the energy (if 100% transferred on impact) would be very similar to being shot, well at least noticeable. Most likely they punch right on through with not as much interaction, right, and any damage and there is damage is very localized.

In reply to #2

09/22/2017 1:47 PM

Here I show a link to a scholarly paper that I had zero part in producing, so attempting to distract from my other BWBS comments.

review paper in a book on cosmic rays

In reply to #6

09/22/2017 2:09 PM

The most energetic cosmic ray detected so far was the appropriately named Oh-My-God particle detected in 1991. It is believed to have been a Hydrogen nuclei (proton) with a kinetic energy of 3*10^20 electron volts. To put this in more common terms this is the same kinetic energy of a baseball moving at 90 KPH.

In reply to #7

09/22/2017 2:25 PM

OUch!!!

In reply to #7

09/22/2017 3:35 PM

It turns out these cosmic rays have an origin limit, else they interact with background cosmic microwaves and lose energy...

In reality, there are limits to just how far away an ultra-high-energy particle can originate from – since, if they don’t collide with anything else, they will eventually come up against the Greisen–Zatsepin–Kuzmin (GZK) limit. This represents the likelihood of a fast moving particle eventually colliding with a cosmic microwave background photon, losing momentum energy and velocity in the process. It works out that extragalactic cosmic rays retaining energies of over 1019 eV cannot have originated from a source further than 163 million light years from Earth – a distance known as the GZK horizon.
Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2011-06-oh-my-god-particles.html#jCp

I thank you for providing my very interesting reading material, redfred.

Good Answers: 576
In reply to #7

09/22/2017 8:21 PM

Yeah, that sucker was moving so fast that, due to relativity, its mass was 320 billion times the mass of a proton at rest!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oh-My-God_particle

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #12

09/23/2017 9:44 AM

It was moving that fast and until it found our atmosphere, it was coasting.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 235

09/22/2017 3:20 PM

I take my father's advice who says not to worry about things you have no control over or the outcome.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1129

09/22/2017 5:33 PM

Probably just stray communication signals from aliens...

Press 1 if you want to continue in Plorgrite press 2 if you want to continue in shplec

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 209
In reply to #11

09/23/2017 11:52 AM

bIlugh, chaH nov QumpIn. Sumbej puS DaHar'a'.

Qapla'.

In reply to #14

09/25/2017 11:05 AM

Char kupla, ichi chaHk, nov bilugh. Bilugh HA, shichi na, kaputlik, Qapla, ni?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Brave Sir Robin (1); gutmonarch (1); James Stewart (6); JPool (1); redfred (4); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: 385 Feet Wingspan — Now That's a Big Plane!   Next in Forum: Why Do Some Wine Bottles Have Punts? and Other Design Questions

Advertisement