CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Why Do Some Wine Bottles Have Punts? and Other Design Questions   Next in Forum: Project Woodpecker
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 153

Fileinfo Problem

09/23/2017 7:24 AM

I need some help getting rid of a virus that suddenly appended all of my internet shortcuts to .URL and will not open unless I choose a file to open them with.

Malware shows no virus or PUP,internet search for problem yields no effective results.

My history file has been wiped clean, so I cannot restore to a previous date.

Anyone know how to get rid of this pest?

Thanks in advance for any help on this problem.

"A man never stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child." “I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” Maya Angelou.
Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: Fileinfo Bug
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 455

Re: Fileinfo Problem

09/23/2017 8:28 AM

Sounds like a rootkit virus. Quite hard to detect, and even harder to get rid of.

Is re-formatting and starting from scratch an option?

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 209

09/23/2017 8:54 AM
Guru

Good Answers: 1125

09/23/2017 2:44 PM

What OS are you using? You may have accidentally switched default browser...your shortcuts are internet addresses(.url), the fact that the computer is asking which program to use to open the file means that either the address has been saved in another browser than what you are using, or you are using another default browser....not a virus probably just some sneaky browser manipulation...

Good Answers: 4

09/23/2017 10:24 PM

In future keep a complete backup of your hard drive and make sure it is only a week old. As soon as you get a problem, look at the latest files and keep them in a USB stick.
Now use the backup.
That's what I do.

I keep two backup hard drives because a virus can completely destroy 30 years of work.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 9

09/23/2017 10:48 PM

Try running the Microsoft Safety Scanner. If the malware will not permit you to do so use this link.

Good Answers: 241
In reply to #5

09/24/2017 1:19 AM

What if the malware will allow him to do so? Would you recommend he doesn't use the link?

Good Answers: 35

09/24/2017 3:54 PM

I concur with Solar E #3. Like you, a similar thing happened to me. My browser, Firefox, was high-jacked it seems, my searches were re-directed by, and to, a Russian search engine - names I typed myself, or clicked on, as well as any links in my emails., including links to help and support in my various apps. Not the least being impossible to repair or restore Windows 7 to an earlier working version.

I had to use my other PC to logon on to the internet to get help - nothing cured it - but by brute i got Firefox back by deleting every file with a Russian name, that without a Cyrillic keyboard to do a search, I had to list them to read them.

I sort of got it working, but so unstable, I decided to completely install Win 7 wiping out all my files in the process and then more problems because the updated programs emulating Windows 10 created a learning curve that is hard to climb.

I am not going to restore all my backup files from the BU drive. I will just pick out the ones I need at the time in case some are infected - albeit they have been cleared as virus-free by AVG by remote access to my PC.

But I suspect the 'virus' creates 'innocent' txt files with bits of data to collect for redirecting purposes - saved in ordinary Notepad files not suspect by AV apps.

Sorry for the negative - but it has all the hallmarks of ransom-ware - except nothing in my case has been received asking for payment to fix it. Meanwhile I think my email address has been hijacked and is being used for spamming.

Good Answers: 153

10/18/2017 9:13 AM

Sorry for the delay getting back to this.

I have been off the grid for a while.Been working in my laboratory,which is air-gapped from outside world.

The solution was a complete system restore from an external 1 TB hard drive.

Still don't know what caused it,but at this point,it doesn't matter much.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

"A man never stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child." “I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” Maya Angelou.
Register to Reply
Register to Reply 8 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

colin55 (1); HiTekRedNek (1); horace40 (1); JohnDG (1); JPool (1); SolarEagle (1); truth is not a compromise (1); wmerryall (1)

Previous in Forum: Why Do Some Wine Bottles Have Punts? and Other Design Questions   Next in Forum: Project Woodpecker

Advertisement