CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: The Twelve Oldest Web Sites Still Online   Next in Forum: Optimization Software
Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 35

USCSB Videos

09/28/2017 7:37 PM

Youtube USCSB Video Channel

I am finding these videos to be facinating and interesting. They cover the findings for several industrial accidents, (some recent and near by to me) and they are very well done and informative.

I just thought I'd pass these along to the forums. Very good info in these productions. Most are only about 15min long and so easy to digest!

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 350

Re: USCSB Videos

09/28/2017 8:25 PM

Original source can be found here

CSB

I have watched all the videos atleast twice over the years. Definitely worthwhile watching for those in the industry or just interested in how disasters actually happen in the real world even with all our health and safety and process safeguards.

In reply to #1

09/28/2017 10:12 PM

I agree. I watch them even though I have no professional interest as I find them informative any way. Some things go down wrong under "routine" circumstances and it is very good to see how this can happen, even in mundane circumstances.

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 174

09/29/2017 12:37 AM

I work at a company that manufactures propellant for airbags. This video (and others, I'm sure); I am going to forward to many of my coworkers and encourage them to watch.

It makes us take a look at things to beware of; things like this can happen anywhere if the conditions are right!

Thanks for posting, deefburger!

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 152

09/29/2017 10:20 AM

The Texas City Refinery explosion was a horrible chain of errors. It clearly demonstrates the wages of not maintaining instruments in perfect working order, and also not having the right reactor safety plan, and proper routing of of vented fluids.

Fail to plan = plan to fail, plain and simple.

In reply to #4

09/29/2017 10:52 AM

Also, changes in ownership/management combined with down-sizing budgets and closing deadlines. If safety is put aside to please the "higher ups" it is a sure bet that when things go wrong it's the technicians on the floor that will be killed and not the managers who gave the order or approved the override.

The last big company I worked for had a management team that moved up from the floor, not down from Harvard or Yale. They knew every inch of ever process and the company had a great safety record.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #5

09/29/2017 11:00 AM

You pointed out one of the key ingredients. Management needs seriously to always have a clue about the business they are involved with.

Good Answers: 45
In reply to #6

10/02/2017 10:13 AM

There is nothing more dangerous to the average worker than a "Peter Principle" manager.

The next, almost as dangerous situation is when "Generating value for shareholders" or similar verbiage suddenly finds it's way into your companies mission statement ahead of safety, customers, and the environment.

In reply to #8

10/02/2017 10:53 AM

True that!

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 174
In reply to #5

09/29/2017 9:21 PM

Something that was said in the investigation film into the Texas City disaster, and remembering the Deepwater catastrophe, makes me wonder that, since they spent so much money on the fallout from the Texas City disaster, that funds for maintaining the well (or wells) went through cuts.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Deefburger (2); jack of all trades (1); James Stewart (3); Mikerho (2); rashavarek (1)

Previous in Forum: The Twelve Oldest Web Sites Still Online   Next in Forum: Optimization Software

Advertisement