CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: USCSB Videos   Next in Forum: Hey Buddy, Can You Spare a Little Sand? I've Got a Well to Frack
Close
Close
Close
16 comments
Participant

Optimization Software

09/29/2017 10:53 AM

I need a name of free software that gives the best resource utilization based on specific plan. The inputs for the software are the production plan (schedule) and the list of resources. The software should give me the best way of utilizing these resources (in terms of capacity utilization and minimization of wasted space) based on the plan I gave and the resources I have.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 774

Re: Optimization Software

09/29/2017 11:01 AM

I don't believe you have presented enough information to make even a guess.

I do offer one warning. While I do understand not wasting money, rarely is software worth more than what you pay.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155

09/29/2017 11:04 AM

Looky here:

inventory-management-software

They have many types to choose from - not my job to do your job.

In reply to #2

09/29/2017 11:25 AM

These are not optimization programs.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 3)
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 265
In reply to #3

09/29/2017 11:40 AM

List of Optimization Software - Free

Do not forget to add CR4 to your list of resources.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #3

09/29/2017 12:36 PM

That is very interesting, coming from someone that can't even spell resource.

In reply to #6

09/29/2017 12:56 PM

This is because English it is not my mother language! do you even speak more than one language! If not then you should shut up cause at least I am better than you. I speak four languages.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 8)
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 265
In reply to #7

09/29/2017 1:24 PM

I see that Snark is one of your multilingual talents.

Good luck in your quest of finding something useful for neither effort nor expense.

<unsubscribe from this poorly defined tragedy>

In reply to #7

09/29/2017 4:16 PM

OK, then Mr. Superiority. I only speak English, some German, some Spanish, some Choctaw.

Actually, I am thoroughly disinterested in helping you if I could help you.

Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Old Member, New Association

Good Answers: 72

09/29/2017 11:59 AM

Well, this one is not free but it will teach you how to do exactly what you ask. Perhaps you can find some free training and then crunch it by hand or on a spreadsheet.

Microsoft has a package known as Project. Most people just use it to create a Ghant chart and then they use that to punish the workers for not meeting expectations. Of course, they never consider that the plan was flawed to begin with..... but if used as intended, it is very powerful.

Those kind of details can be a full time job to collect and keep up to date. It follows a philosophy known as the "Critical Path" which is the shortest time from start to finish. For some projects, one must plan for events such as rainy days which are impossible to predict months ahead of schedule. So, besides the critical path, one should know when and where adjustments can be made in the non-critical path as well.

Project has the ability to track resource allocation, cost, and the completion date when things fail to happen as planned. If it is important, it is worth the investment. Otherwise, look for topics (or software) on "Critical Path Development".

Good Answers: 1589
In reply to #5

09/29/2017 10:11 PM

In another life, I used Project a lot. It did two things well for me. It helped me identify when certain people were available for other tasks and it helped me understand what was behind schedule. The behind schedule part was often due to vendors not meeting their agreed upon commitments.

Like any tool, it's only as good as the guy using it.

Register to Reply
Guru

09/29/2017 1:10 PM

Since you just joined the forum. I suggest that you read the Rules for Conduct and FAQ's before posting any more threads, at all.

There you will find this:

14) Are there specific rules for posting?

Although you are free to post as you wish, as long as your post does not violate the CR4 Site Use Policy, we ask that you follow these guidelines when posting or commenting on CR4.

• Look for answers before you post. Check a search engine or two to see if you can find the answer to your question or a collection of useful links. If you can’t, or if the answer you find is unclear, then that's a pretty good justification for asking the question on CR4. We don’t want to stifle questions, but you're more likely to get a helpful response if you’ve done a little research on your own.
  • Provide as much information as possible. The most frustrating questions on CR4 are like this one: "I need a sensor to test water flow - which is the best one." What are you testing for and what are you trying to determine? Is it in a stream, a pipe, or an aquifer? Are you looking to measure velocity or mass? Are you testing for particulates, mineral concentration, or pollution? Is it wastewater, potable water, slurry, etc.? The more you let us know, the better the chance that someone on the site will be able to help you find an answer.
Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Participant

In reply to #8

09/29/2017 1:14 PM

Please guys if you don't have answers for my question then just SHUT UP!

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 6)
Guru

In reply to #9

09/29/2017 1:22 PM

The answer to your question is to do an internet search for the software you want. The forum is not your servant. Members do not take kindly to being insulted.

DoorMan provided you with ample sources.

This is not a baby sitting service. No one here will take you by the hand and lead you through the steps required.

Do it yourself!

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Old Member, New Association

In reply to #9

10/02/2017 7:20 AM

Your attitude sucks

In reply to #8

09/29/2017 4:17 PM

Thank you Lyn for the timely remarks!

10/02/2017 7:42 AM

This web site gets all kinds of people looking for something to do their work for them for free. It just doesn't exist. You have to do your own work. There is no software that will do exactly as you have described because you are required to participate more than you imply.

Because you have been so negative in your replies, this will probably be the last reply you will ever get. You have offended many of the most knowledgeable people who could have been helpful. Your attitude comes across as belligerent and lazy. Being confrontational will not produce the information that you seek.

Lastly, no one cares how smart you might be or how many languages you speak. By acting as you have, you will be systematically ignored by the people whom you should be grateful to. And, that includes the rest of the world outside this blog.

It takes 1000 good acts to make up for one bad tempered mistake. That is true many more places than you might imagine. It is especially true here.

If you can't be polite and respectful, then stay away.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Doorman (2); James Stewart (4); kaka.kaka (3); lyn (3); NotUrOrdinaryJoe (3); redfred (1)

Previous in Forum: USCSB Videos   Next in Forum: Hey Buddy, Can You Spare a Little Sand? I've Got a Well to Frack

Advertisement