Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

Star Delta Starter for Jockey Pump

10/01/2017 4:50 AM

Hi All,

We need to design a Start Delta starter panel for Jockey(Fire) pump. Can you please suggest if there is any special consideration, we should have for Jockey application.

As per our understanding, it should operate , should there is any reduction of line pressure. Will Pressure switch be OK for this?

User-tagged by 3 users
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 158

Re: Star Delta Starter for Jockey Pump

10/01/2017 10:31 AM

"Can you please suggest if there is any special consideration, we should have for Jockey application."

Yes: Any and all certifications required by the AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction), in your corner of the world. The fail safe mode for all equipment -valves, power, instrumentation. Whether this "setup" is safe, secure, and will be able to be insured.

Your best course of action, will be to get something pre-built that meets all of the above requirements.

Good Answers: 1125

10/01/2017 10:53 AM
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Location: California, USA, where the Godless live next door to God.
Good Answers: 732

10/01/2017 12:14 PM

Jockey pumps are not fire pumps, no special rules. All they do is maintain pipe pressure to avoid having the main fire pump turn on because of leaks.

Jockey pumps are typically very small, 10HP is about as big as I've seen. So why do you feel the need to use Star-Delta starting? It's not likely necessary unless you have an extremely weak power system, in which case I would have serious concerns for everything else. But assuming the necessity is non-negotiable, I would not use S-D, I'd use a solid state soft starter. S-D includes numerous potential issues with causing voltage and torque spikes that can damage the motor and/or the pump.

The other thing you must be careful with, no matter how you start it, is that the pressure switch settings allow sufficient hysteresis so that the pump does not attempt to start too often. That is a LOT more critical with S-D starting than anything else.

Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Old Member, New Association

Good Answers: 72

10/02/2017 8:16 AM

Excellent answer JReaf! I would only add that the suggested brute force approach to adding this pump will result in excessive maintenance. So, it boils down to pay me now, or pay me a lot more later.

With the variety of smart controllers available, Anonymous Poster should shop around but perhaps he could save some time by starting with the latest products offered by Eaton.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 152

10/02/2017 12:30 PM

A jockey pump is not a fire service pump!

The only jockey you need is something to boost line pressure to keep the fire pump offline, when and if normal service line pressure sags a bit.

You could get a horse jockey, but he would not be able to maintain the pressure.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

James Stewart (1); JRaef (1); Kilowatt0 (1); NotUrOrdinaryJoe (1); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: Information on UPS   Next in Forum: RTCC IN OCTC Transformer

Advertisement