Previous in Forum: Good Read Spacecraft Launch Vibration   Next in Forum: L/G
Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Active Contributor

Toyota Car Engine Upgrade

10/11/2017 4:57 AM

I own a Toyota Corrolla 1.33liter VVTi manual drive car 2010 model. Recently I had a engine problem and wanted to install a 1.8liter VVTi engine as a replacement. Can this be done. I need your advice.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 213

Re: Toyota Car Engine Upgrade

10/11/2017 7:52 AM

Of course it can be done. Depends how much time and effort you want to put into it.

The are Youtube videos with a Volkswagon Bug with a radial piston engine in it :

Seriously though, I believe the 2010 Corrolla did have the 1.8 VVTi engine as an option. So swapping them shouldn't be too much trouble as long as you have all the necessary parts / accessories.

In reply to #1

10/12/2017 10:47 AM

Thanks for your advice, but my major concerns are: 1) Will it involve a change in the car ECU (Electronic control unit) or will the existing ECU be ok for the 1.8liter engine. 2) Will I need to change the drive shafts.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1141

10/11/2017 10:23 AM

Good Answers: 11

10/11/2017 11:31 AM

Is this worth the effort on an 8-year old grocery-getter? Just trade it, you'll be money ahead.

Good Answers: 46

10/12/2017 11:12 AM

The first question would have to be, are there plenty of junkyards in your area?

If yes, then you probably have access to the parts you will need at reasonable prices compared to new.

Next you need to plan your work out and that starts with preparation.

Find a Corolla in one of those yards that has that particular engine/transmission in it.

The bigger engine may have a different transmission and related set up.

Computer controllers and other electronics for the different powertrain should be purchased new from a reputable place to avoid bringing any problems from the donor car. It is in a junk yard for a reason usually.

Take note of mounting brackets and clearances. You may well need to use different mounts for the powertrain. Take note of all vacuum lines and other fun stuff as sensors and valves are often different too. Make sure you have the right wiring harness for the engine compartment configuration and that it will mate to the sockets in your existing vehicle. (some companies use a generic harness that works with all the configurations for that car and others have specific harnesses depending on the set up.) pay special attention to things like radiator and heater inlet/outlet in relation to the engine. Hoses may be a problem. Brakes are also often impacted by the engine set up.

Most important in my book is “A Book”. That shows you the necessary steps to pull/replace the engine/tranny and has the required torque values for putting things together.

Making this kind of change is not easy, but it can be done with time, proper planning, and of course, parts.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

AverageJoe (1); Chike Nwachukwu (1); JPool (1); rashavarek (1); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: Good Read Spacecraft Launch Vibration   Next in Forum: L/G

Advertisement