CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Perpetual Motion Machine: Any Flaws?   Next in Forum: What Is It?
Close
Close
Close
6 comments
Participant

Is Corona Treatment Good for Thermal Transfer Ribbon

10/11/2017 7:47 PM

Hi, I want to know is the aluminium foil good for thermal transfer ribbon printing process after a corona treatment process?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 1102

Re: Is corona treatment good for thermal transfer ribbon

10/11/2017 9:01 PM

It probably depends on several variables, including temperature, surface type, ribbon type, printer head type....I would ask your supplier and/or other suppliers if they have any experience with your list of variables...

http://label.sapssa.averydennison.com/content/dam/averydennison/lpm/sapssa/docs/durables/hot-metal-450/Technical%20Bulletin%20on%20Hot%20Metal%20Labelling.pdf

http://barcode-labels.com/getting-started/labels/topcoats/

http://info.intellitech-intl.com/blog/bid/131011/How-to-choose-the-right-thermal-transfer-ribbon

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

Good Answers: 209

Re: Is corona treatment good for thermal transfer ribbon

10/11/2017 10:20 PM

I'd go with gold

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 173

Re: Is Corona Treatment Good for Thermal Transfer Ribbon

10/12/2017 11:15 AM

Corona treatment is used only if one of the materials that are to be bonded has a low surface energy.

Are you having trouble with the print staying on the foil?

You cannot corona treat aluminium foil, so am I right in assuming that you treated the thermal transfer ribbon?

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 147
In reply to #3

10/12/2017 1:34 PM

Why could you not corona treat aluminum foil. My foil hat always gets the corona treatment. OK, I faked the cigar, he can't smoke aluminum.

In reply to #3

10/12/2017 8:01 PM

Thanks Mikerho.

Now I'm do a corona treatment on the aluminium foil and not at thermal transfer ribbon. Why the aluminium foil cannot conduct a corona treatment?

I have done the experiment but the result I getting is the aluminium foil without treatment the printing is good compare to the aluminium which have a treatment when I doing a adhesion test according standard ASTM F2252-03 Evaluating Ink or Coating Adhesion to Flexible Packaging Materials Using Tape.

This means the aluminium foil without corona treatment, the thermal transfer ribbon printing is good and not come out from foil when doing adhesion test. But the aluminium foil with corona treatment, the thermal transfer ribbon printing is bad which the label can come out from foil when doing adhesion test.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 147
In reply to #5

10/13/2017 9:06 AM

Maybe the corona treatment changes the surface tension of the foil, oxides typically are just porous enough to statically stick to the ink, something like that.

You might also try a weak anodizing of the aluminum surface and see if the printing is even better than untreated foil.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

esteraik (1); Fredski (1); James Stewart (2); Mikerho (1); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: Perpetual Motion Machine: Any Flaws?   Next in Forum: What Is It?

Advertisement