CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: L/G   Next in Forum: Failure or Fatigue Failure of a Valve Shaft
Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Active Contributor

UCS-6(b)(3)

10/12/2017 3:44 AM

Hey folk,
I was going thru UCS-6 & got stuck to it.
As per UCS-6 (b)(3), SA 36 (plate) can be used for pressure vessel provided thickness does not exceed 5/8in.
Question 1: Why code allows SA 36 only upto thickness of 16mm and why not more than 16mm?
What is the basis for setting limit to 16mm?
Question 2:
For NON STAMPED vessels,can we use ASME SEC VIII DIV 1 for SA 36 having thickness more than 5/8in.
OR
Does it mean that we cannot use ASME SEC VIII DIV.1 for vessel whether it is stamped or non stamped if thickness criteria of UCS-6(b)(3)is not met i.e(thickness
exceeding 5/8 in.)?.
Provide your thought process

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 119

Re: UCS-6(b)(3)

10/12/2017 6:31 AM

Your last line kinda gives it away as a homework question.

Good Answers: 1598
In reply to #1

10/12/2017 10:37 AM

I hope you are correct.

I fear you may not be.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 34

10/12/2017 6:39 AM

You can follow it or not. It's your choice

"This international code or standard was developed under procedures accredited as meeting the criteria for American National Standards and it is an American National Standard. The Standards Committee that approved the code or standard was balanced to assure that individuals from competent and concerned interests have had an opportunity to participate. The proposed code or standard was made available for public review and comment that provides an opportunity for additional public input from industry, academia, regulatory agencies, and the public-at-large. ASME does not “approve,” “rate,” or “endorse” any item, construction, proprietary device, or activity. ASME does not take any position with respect to the validity of any patent rights asserted in connection with any items mentioned in this document, and does not undertake to insure anyone utilizing a standard against liability for infringement of any applicable letters patent, nor assume any such liability. Users of a code or standard are expressly advised that determination of the validity of any such patent rights, and the risk of infringement of such rights, is entirely their own responsibility. Participation by federal agency representative(s) or person(s) affiliated with industry is not to be interpreted as government or industry endorsement of this code or standard. ASME accepts responsibility for only those interpretations of this document issued in accordance with the established ASME procedures and policies, which precludes the issuance of interpretations by individuals."

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

10/12/2017 9:19 AM

Thank you very much for your response.

Kindly refer UCS-6
(b) S t e e l pl at e s conforming to S A - 3 6 , SA/ CSA‐G40.21 38W, and SA-283 Grades A, B, C, and D may be used for pressure parts in pressure vessels provided
all of the following requirements are met:
(3)With the exception of flanges, flat bolted covers, and stiffening rings, the thickness of plates on which strength welding is applied does not exceed 5/8 in.(16 mm)

UCS-6 states that SA 36 may be used for pressure parts provided it satisfies all (3) requirements, one from three is regarding thickness.
So if we are not satisfying thickness requirement than we cannot use SA 36 for pressure parts so it does not matter whether it is stamped or not
Thats my understanding for UCS-6
Kindly correct me if i am wrong.
Regarding thickness limitation, i searched in many handbooks but have not found any apposite / authentic reason for it.
Please share if you make it out first.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 34
In reply to #3

10/12/2017 10:00 AM

ASME VIII div 1 interpretations

Interpretation: VIII-1-04-100

Subject: Section VIII, Division 1 (2004 Edition, 2005 Addenda); UG-43(d) and UCS-6(b)(3)

Date Issued: June 15, 2006

File: BC06-541

Question (1): Is it permitted by UCS-6(b)(3) of Section VIII, Division 1 to use SA-36 material for a stud

pad (studded outlet) with a thickness greater than 5⁄8 in. and attached to the shell in accordance with the

requirements of Fig. UG-40(a-1) or (a-2)?

Reply (1): No.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155
In reply to #3

10/12/2017 1:37 PM

First you refer to the vessel, now you refer to thickness of reinforcement pads.

Which do you want. The pads can ne'er be more than 5/8", boyo.

10/14/2017 12:39 AM

James,

My query is regarding vessel thickness.

Whitephone,

I referred interpretations and they do not permit use of SA 36 for thickness over 5/8" (16mm).

But whether this limitation is only for stamped vessel or it applies to non stamped too.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

10/15/2017 7:29 AM

I had words with AI.

Guess what, For Non stamped vessels, we can exceed thickness limitation of UCS-6.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155
In reply to #8

10/16/2017 9:00 AM

What sort of vessel are you allowed to have or sell without stamp?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Codemaster (1); IK (3); James Stewart (2); lyn (1); Whitephone (2)

Previous in Forum: L/G   Next in Forum: Failure or Fatigue Failure of a Valve Shaft

Advertisement