CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Circuit of Fuses   Next in Forum: Burning of 3TF 57 Siemens Contactors Coils 3TY7573-0C
Close
Close
Close
10 comments
Associate

Good Answers: 3

LED Batten Vs LED Bulb

10/15/2017 9:19 AM

What is difference between LED batten light and LED Bulb. which is better for more light on floor? What is optimum height for LED bulbs / batten light? will use of a reflective lamp shade above LED bulb will improve light on floor? Or since it is uni directional it will not relay change any thing ?

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: LED Lighting
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 774

Re: LED Batten Vs LED Bulb

10/15/2017 9:56 AM

You will do best reviewing the manufacturer's web site on each of these types of LED for correct information.

I've not heard of a LED batten light but I believe they are strips of LED lamps. Sometimes these strips produce a low amount of light to mark a walkway. They can also be part of the running lights of a vehicle. The current limiting driver circuitry required for a LED may or may not be part of these strips.

A LED bulb is an assembly that replaces an incandescent bulb. The driver circuitry is typically self contained in a bulb.

Good Answers: 575

10/15/2017 10:44 AM

I have a LED batten light over the sink in the garage and am quite happy with it. I would suggest that you look up the lights on Amazon and read the reviews and FAQs on them.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1125

10/15/2017 11:26 AM

A batten is a string of LED lights in a fixture much like a fluorescent type light, usually these are SMD chip type lights...these throw light in a half sphere as opposed to an LED bulb...

The proper mounting height is determined by the lumens per square foot desired and the bulb or lighting fixtures' brightness....Light fixture dealers usually have a chart available for determining proper amount of light required for activities to be performed in the space or room you are illuminating, and a brightness recommendation....

https://blog.1000bulbs.com/home/how-many-lumens-do-i-need

http://www.charlstonlights.com/led-light-requirement-calculator

Good Answers: 1586

10/15/2017 11:58 AM

18 Watt LED Tube, Drop-In Replaces Standard (T8) 32 Watt Fluorescent Tubes for Electronic Ballast, 4 Ft, 4000K, Clear, 1900 Lumens, 1-Pack

by LED Lighthouse

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 23

10/16/2017 12:22 AM

Here is a diagram of led battens, employed in the construction of an led panel light.

As for light quantity, that can be subjective to your budget.

Allow me to give you an example :

I went to home Depot and looked at a 4 foot LED light panel, the cost was $ 146.00 usd. The light output was 1340 lumens. The light has a translucent cover.

In my kitchen, I had two, 4 foot recessed florescent light fixtures. I thought about the $ 146.00 light panels and wondered if I could convert my fixtures to LED.

I purchased two 680 lumen Sylvania LED light bulbs ( $ 12.00 each ) & two Westinghouse porcelain light sockets ( $ 3.00 each ) . A few sheet metal screws, about 3 feet of 12 gauge wire and three wire nuts and I converted my lights.

So for about $ 35.00 + my labor ( when I work on my house, my labor is free, when I work on your house, we'll, that's a different story ) I saved over $ and have a recessed light fixture that puts out 1360 lumens. I converted both light fixtures. So for about $ 70.00, I saved over $ 230.00

Register to Reply
Guru

10/16/2017 7:10 AM

The virtue of a batten, as opposed to a point source, is that the lighting is more free of shadows. This was the great virtue of the now maligned fluorescent tubes.

The optimum height is as high as possible in the space available.

A reflective shade will help if the bulb you choose does not already have one built in.

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Location: California, USA, where the Godless live next door to God.
Good Answers: 732

10/16/2017 3:04 PM

I had a choice recently on some flood lamps, I looked at the instruction manual for the "batten" style (hadn't heard of that term before) and discovered that once the LEDs burn out, you basically had to discard the entire fixture and replace it. The light elements were not designed to be easily replaced. So I opted for LED bulbs in a standard fixture. I believe I may have sacrificed the quality of the lighting, because I can see mutilple shadows on everything now. But my purpose was for security, not lighting quality, so i still think I did the right thing. YMMV

Good Answers: 11

10/16/2017 5:13 PM

There is some software simulation I used to work out how many lights I required for each room using the manufacturers LED light info...Was very useful. RELUX. Not sure if there is a freeware or similar...A mate had it (works in industry) and we worked out my requirements. Hope it helps.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 235

10/16/2017 6:39 PM

It is interesting that term was borrowed from sailors which was borrowed from woodworkers.

From the Merriam-Webster website:

Definition of batten

1 a British :a piece of lumber used especially for flooring b :a thin narrow strip of lumber used especially to seal or reinforce a joint 2 :a strip, bar, or support resembling or used similarly to a batten (as in a sail)

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 6)
Guru

In reply to #9

10/17/2017 7:06 AM

I don't know who Merriam-Webster spoke to for British definitions, but the Concise Oxford English Dictionary has a much narrower definition: "long, flat wooden or metal strip for strengthening, stiffening or securing something". I certainly wouldn't use the term batten to refer to floorboards.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Register to Reply 10 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Brave Sir Robin (1); daffy (1); JRaef (1); lyn (1); phph001 (2); redfred (1); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (1); tonyhemet (1)

Previous in Forum: Circuit of Fuses   Next in Forum: Burning of 3TF 57 Siemens Contactors Coils 3TY7573-0C

Advertisement