CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Painting Stainless Steel   Next in Forum: Energy Security for America on the Rise
Close
Close
Close
14 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 1127

Hard Coat For Styrofoam Model

10/16/2017 1:46 PM

I have a styrofoam model that I want to preserve....the styrofoam is easily dented or damaged with foreign contact, but it's something that is to be actively used as a form, so I need a coating that will produce a hard impervious shell, and not react with the styrofoam....I'm thinking about 2mm thick shell....any suggestions?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 1588

Re: Hard Coat For Styrofoam Model

10/16/2017 2:00 PM

Two part, clear epoxy! No solvent thinners and formulated to brush on.

I did a huge ice chest for a deep sea fisherman using two part epoxy and glass over two inches of Styrofoam slabs and he loved it, used it for years. I used a commercial product called Fuzor 305 that was out of date from my lab at the time. It has a blue tint, but any two part, 100% solids epoxy/polyamide will be your safest. most durable choice.

Just brush a coat on (after testing on a scrap piece) , let it cure then coat again. if needed.

MIL-24441 Type III, Epoxy Polyamide - Protective & Marine

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

Good Answers: 33
In reply to #1

10/17/2017 12:56 PM

Good choice, Lyn. I did the same for my commercial fish boxes. Not sure if the model is a uniform one (square etc,) or rounded etc.. With my boxes, I glued 1/8th Philippine mahogany doorskin over the panels. Very lightweight and hard, impact wise,. Then glassed over that, to prevent too much resin soaking in, thus giving a higher glass-to-resin strength ration. For his application this is probably way overkill..

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 209

10/16/2017 2:12 PM

Water based Truck bed liner. Plastikote, and Duplicolor are just a couple that make it in water base. You can even get it in rattle cans.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 152
In reply to #2

10/16/2017 2:28 PM

Interesting! Can you use that to make a hard, one-time mold?

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

In reply to #3

10/16/2017 4:12 PM

Why not? You spray or brush it on your styrofoam (thick), let it cure, drill a hole in the bottom and pour a solvent in it. I have used the water based truck bed liner at work, once cured, it is has extremely good chemical resistance, including solvents (MEK, acetone). Styrofoam disappears very quickly in said solvents, leaving you a hollow, plastic mold.

United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 81
In reply to #3

10/17/2017 4:07 AM

For what material? If you are casing metal, no need to take the foam out.

10/16/2017 3:31 PM

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 774

10/16/2017 4:21 PM

I wonder, styrofoam dissolves in toluene but epoxy has a good resistance to toluene. So could a "lost wax" like epoxy/fiber glass mold be made with styrofoam being melted by toluene?

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 152
In reply to #6

10/16/2017 4:41 PM

In reply to #6

10/16/2017 4:49 PM

Yes, Styrofoam disappears in Toluene also.......

Good Answers: 41
In reply to #6

10/17/2017 11:18 AM

The big issue would be whether you could get your wax out of the mold. The Styrofoam surface finish is a bit rough, so ejecting a wax pattern would be a challenge.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 70

10/16/2017 6:50 PM

Paint with household latex paint to protect it from the next coat of epoxy resin and fiberglass cloth.

Sand and Bondo as needed.

Good Answers: 33
In reply to #9

10/17/2017 1:01 PM

Have done that also , with the first styrofoam that came out in the 50's, using fiberglass over.

Another way we have made molds is to apply a mould release over the piece, then use Plaster of Paris with a fine mesh matrix. Let it cure, easy to cut in half, or what ever, and you have a female mold to do what ever you wish to. Maybe make another male mold..

Register to Reply
Guru

10/21/2017 11:23 PM

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

C-Mac (2); James Stewart (2); JE in Chicago (1); Jpfalt (1); JPool (3); lyn (1); Nigh (1); redfred (1); SolarEagle (2)

Previous in Forum: Painting Stainless Steel   Next in Forum: Energy Security for America on the Rise

Advertisement