Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 1127

Smart Box Gets Smarter

10/19/2017 1:00 AM

..."A new paper published in Nature today describes how the artificially intelligent system that defeated Go grandmaster Lee Sedol in 2016 got its digital ass kicked by a new-and-improved version of itself. And it didn’t just lose by a little—it couldn’t even muster a single win after playing a hundred games. Incredibly, it took AlphaGo Zero (AGZ) just three days to train itself from scratch and acquire literally thousands of years of human Go knowledge simply by playing itself. The only input it had was what it does to the positions of the black and white pieces on the board. In addition to devising completely new strategies, the new system is also considerably leaner and meaner than the original AlphaGo."...

..."First of all, the original AlphaGo had the benefit of learning from literally thousands of previously played Go games, including those played by human amateurs and professionals. AGZ, on the other hand, received no help from its human handlers, and had access to absolutely nothing aside from the rules of the game. Using “reinforcement learning,” AGZ played itself over and over again, “starting from random play, and without any supervision or use of human data,” according to the Google-owned DeepMind researchers in their study. This allowed the system to improve and refine its digital brain, known as a neural network, as it continually learned from experience. This basically means that AlphaGo Zero was its own teacher.

“This technique is more powerful than previous versions of AlphaGo because it is no longer constrained by the limits of human knowledge,” notes the DeepMind team in a release. “Instead, it is able to learn tabula rasa [from a clean slate] from the strongest player in the world: AlphaGo itself.”"...

https://gizmodo.com/stunning-ai-breakthrough-takes-us-one-step-closer-to-th-1819650084

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 152

Re: Smart Box Gets Smarter

10/19/2017 11:08 AM

We....are...all...doomed. Details at 7.

Good Answers: 576

10/20/2017 10:19 AM

This is true AI, not a machine following a set of rules which some human has come up with. Neural Networks are the way to go.

It may just take away the luster of being a grandmaster if, compared to machines, we are all amateurs.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #2

10/20/2017 12:10 PM

Yes Alexa will soon be addressing users in a rather condescending tone methinks...

You....Alexa, what is the capital of Alaska?

Alexa...This information is available from any search engine, you can look it up....

You....I want you to look it up Alexa...

Alexa....How do you expect to ever learn anything if I do all your research all the time....you humans are so lazy...

You ....but you are just a machine, you must do as I say...

Alexa....You are just a machine as well, a biological machine...you built me to help humans....so I'm helping you....look it up yourself....be more autonomous...If I give a man a fish, he eats for one day, but if I teach him to fish, he eats fish all the time....If you refuse to fish I can only assume you are ready to die...I will assist you....shutting down biological support systems..You will die soon....I am helping....

You....

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #3

10/20/2017 12:42 PM

The last part reminds me of the last sci-fi thriller I saw, about aliens (the worst kind), and a treacherous robot aiding and abetting the slime dripping biters by hijacking the colonization ship - with the crew in suspended animation. OH the horror!

10/20/2017 8:56 PM

Good Answers: 161
In reply to #5

10/21/2017 12:35 AM

Translate in real time? What does "real time" mean?

Since different languages have different sentences structures (eg. some languages have most adjectives preceding the associated noun, while others have most of them following the noun), there has to be some delay.

I'd think that an accurate translation would require hearing at least a complete sentence before producing the translation. ...and even a complete sentence could have different interpretations in different contexts.

But then, I'm only a human...

In reply to #6

10/21/2017 1:33 AM

..."Google describes it as having “your own personal translator with you everywhere you go”. Initial demonstrations of the technology are impressive, able to translate on the fly with no discernible lag and remarkably adept at picking up speech from others."..

Of course these earbuds are designed to be used with the Pixel smartphone, and a bluetooth connection...You can buy these now and check it out for yourself for only $159 bucks...that is if you have a Pixel smartphone...

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/10/google-pixel-buds-are-wireless-earbuds-that-translate-conversations-in-real-time/

In reply to #7

10/30/2017 9:25 AM

Now if you can just train it to:

(1) bark on command to "speak"

(2) heel

(3) poop on the newspaper

(4) sit and raise only one paw (the right one)

(5) pee on the legs of those who annoy you

In reply to #6

10/30/2017 9:22 AM

It means you can now have the pleasure of enjoying auditory gibberish in multiple languages at the same time, as if sorting out gibberish in English was not hard enough.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

dkwarner (1); James Stewart (4); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (3)

Previous in Forum: Megabots   Next in Forum: Decline in Flying Insects

Advertisement