CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: The Number 45   Next in Forum: No Spill Gas Cans - I've Never Spilled More Gasoline in my Life!
Close
Close
Close
15 comments
Commentator

Good Answers: 2

Kermit Fix

10/22/2017 1:12 AM

I have this quiet little frog in our pool with a skin issue. The bottom of him was worn through to the foam insides. The skin was a vinyl/plastic covering about 1/8" thick and from rubbing on the concrete it had worn away to the foam insides. I thought using PlastiDip the stuff used to coat tool handles; would be a fix, and it looked good for a day or two but after a couple days it started peeling. Anyone know of a good material to coat or graft on Kermit to give him a few more summers in the water?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1129

Re: Kermit Fix

10/22/2017 1:35 AM

I would go with a plastic coating rather than vinyl....

https://www.amazon.com/Polytek-EasyFlo-Liquid-Plastic-3-8lbs/dp/B00OKX5FIK

Good Answers: 1588

10/22/2017 1:38 AM

Kermit is suffering from an incurable form of skin disease. Vinyl plasticosis is a degenerate form of polymeric cracktosis which is characterized by skin cracking and abrasions.

Unfortunately, it is always terminal.

Kermit deserves to be given a suitable burial in your recycle bin. Who knows, someday he may come back to you as a pillow. Or, a tire. Or a rubber duckie.

Say goodbye to Kermit, let him retain his dignity.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 209

10/22/2017 6:56 AM

10/22/2017 1:05 PM

Maybe you could go "green" in another direction...?

In reply to #4

10/22/2017 1:51 PM

Way off topic now, but two things, then I'll fade to black.

1. Vinyl IS plastic. Plastic is a very generic term that includes any polymeric material. 20 years as a materials engineer makes me nit pick sometimes.

2. The solar ionizer has drawbacks of its own. It will not oxidize organic matter effectively, so you still have to dose your pool with chlorine. Copper ions may well turn blond hair blue and also stain the pool. That's what I learned when I looked at them. I just use tablets and liquid shock and never have a problem.

What the OP does with froggie is up to them.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #5

10/22/2017 2:51 PM

Yes I was using the term loosely as plastic when compared with vinyl is generally interpreted as a harder tougher material in layman's terms...

I do not recommend the solar ionizer as a replacement for proper pool water maintenance, but is mainly a green gimmick...that doesn't mean that there are not greener solutions out there, or innovative new products for pool use...This was just a thought or suggestion/reminder that perhaps it was a good time to look around at what's available if he hasn't done so in a while....This frog floater looks to me to be a support for a thermometer, not an actual treatment dispenser of any kind...I personally don't see any need for a floater in a pool other than as a chlorine dispenser, if you don't have an active treatment system deployed...In any case not a necessary item but more of a decoration...The solar ionizer is a cool looking gee whiz tech looking enhancement that does appeal to some people...

In reply to #6

10/22/2017 3:08 PM

Maybe OP could cut a circular hole in Kermit and mount the solar contraption in said hole. The extra buoyancy might be +.

It's strange that the damage is on the bottom, when I'd expect it to be around the sides/edges.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #7

10/22/2017 4:41 PM

Good Answers: 2

10/22/2017 4:17 PM

Actually Kermit is about 30" wide and a bit over 48" long. About 45 pounds. A full grown adult. We have others taking care of the pool chemicals and maintenance. Kermit's only job is to congregate the little tadpoles in the area so the adults can find them quickly. He was at a much larger public pool but he retired and went to a smaller pond. Even in retirement Kermit can keep my 95 Kg frame out of the water if I balance correctly.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #8

10/22/2017 8:51 PM

The ASPCFF | American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Fake Frogs may be knocking on your door if they get wind of your abuse of an elderly amphibian.

SE's solid foam pads sound like a good idea. Use of a good waterproof "glue" may just do the trick. They would help the poor frog survive your abuse too.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 70

10/22/2017 11:11 PM

It looks like that frog ate a snub tailed crocodile

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 175

10/22/2017 11:28 PM

Well, chlorine is the issue. Coating this batrachian morph with a 2-part epoxy should save him (or her).

Good Answers: 5

10/23/2017 6:15 AM

I'm just ringing the animal welfare people, expect a visit!

Bazzer

Good Answers: 41

10/23/2017 11:10 AM

You could go a couple of ways.

1. Roughen the vinyl and gel coat the foam on the bottom with fiberglass resin.

2. Make a mold and clone the little guy in fiberglass and foam. A never ending supply of little imperial storm trooper pool frogs.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 620

10/23/2017 4:49 PM

I'm surprised no one has made this (to me obvious) suggestion.

There ain't nothin' wrong with Kermy that getting wrapped in a little pigskin can't fix.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Bazzer Englander (1); deanpavil (1); JE in Chicago (1); Jpfalt (1); JPool (1); lyn (4); Mikerho (1); SolarEagle (4); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: The Number 45   Next in Forum: No Spill Gas Cans - I've Never Spilled More Gasoline in my Life!

Advertisement