CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: How Do I Calculate The Maximum Load I Can Put Onto My Handrail?   Next in Forum: Planetary Gear Confusion
Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Participant

Vibration Analysis of Rotating Machine

10/27/2017 5:34 AM

hello all,

I am working on vibration analysis project. I found problem while phase measurement. I am doing coding in MATLAB tool where i used FFT algorithm. so when machine starts, then there is rapid increase in rpm and then settled at its desired speed after some period. My problem is to measure amplitude and phase at that transient period accurately. Please help me and thank in advance for reply.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 578

Re: Vibration Analysis of Rotating Machine

10/27/2017 9:24 AM

Well, what you need is an encoder on the shaft of the motor that controls the vibration sampling. If you sample at a constant time rate and the motor is accelerating, FFT will not give you a good answer.

For example, if you have an encoder that triggers 1024 samples per revolution, you can then take those samples an perform an FFT to get your amplitude and phase spectra.

If you must sample at constant time rate, you still need the encoder. Also sample the encoder reading. Then using the MATLAB interpolation function get interpolated samples at encoder (motor shaft) positions so that you have the number of samples per revolution as the size of your FFT. Use these interpolated values for your FFT.

Motor vibration must be referenced to shaft position.

https://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/ref/interp1.html

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Participant

In reply to #1

10/30/2017 1:10 AM

Hey thanks for your reply. My guide tells me to use a tracking filter . So how can i used it and how it simplifies the problem?

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 774

10/27/2017 9:56 AM

What many who are first delving into FFT analysis forget is that phase is a relative measurement not an absolute measurement. Nominally at t=0 all of the cosine functions are assigned a phase of zero.

Good Answers: 578
In reply to #2

10/27/2017 11:17 AM

That's a good point about phase.

I have actually worked on this as a hobby project.

If you analyze the sound or vibration from a rotating machine, you will have two different types of signal, random noise and a periodic signal that generally will have harmonically related discrete components.

Assuming for now that your periodic signal has the fundamental present. Its peak (zero phase) will occur at some shaft position. The second harmonic, if present, will have two peaks 180 degrees apart oriented at some angle. The third harmonic will have three peaks 120 degrees apart oriented at another angle, and so on for the other harmonic frequencies present (360/n degrees apart).

If your FFT is synchronized to shaft position, you can use the phase spectrum to determine where all the peaks (zero phase) occur for the harmonic frequencies that are present. If the phase of the nth harmonic is Dn degrees, then related to shaft position, the peaks for that harmonic will be at

Dn / n degrees + k * 360 / n,

where k = 0 ... n - 1

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155

10/30/2017 2:28 PM

So you need a three-dimensional presentation of the data:

(time axis) - (speed axis) - (vibration sensor amplitude data)

could still do the freq analysis with Matlab
FFT

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

James Stewart (1); redfred (1); Rixter (2); sahil.motlani (1)

Previous in Forum: How Do I Calculate The Maximum Load I Can Put Onto My Handrail?   Next in Forum: Planetary Gear Confusion

Advertisement