CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Vehicle Maintenance Horror Stories  
Close
Close
Close
31 comments
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Location: Vancleave, Ms about 30 miles inland from Biloxi and the coast
Good Answers: 103

New Cars

10/28/2017 3:50 PM

I just read a review on the new Lincoln Navigator SUV. Although no price has been announced, I could see it as being close to the 6 figure mark. This is not unheard of as a Ford super duty pickup is over 100K. I can see vehicles like these increase the cost to insure them. It doesn't take much damage from an accident to total today's cars. They are equipped with all the bells and whistles that can add up to horrendous repair costs. The cost of a new car has skyrocketed from the 10 to 20K range of the 1980's to the over 6 figures today. I don't know how anyone can afford them. The last new car I bought was a 1992 Honda Civic. I believe it cost around 15K. I no longer own it and any cars/trucks I have subsequently bought have been used vehicles. Over the years, the rising cost of a new vehicle has driven me out of the new car market. I think many also have found this out. The trend appears to be more luxury over affordability.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 577

Re: New cars

10/28/2017 6:35 PM

There's a big move now to make cars safer. To that end, one way to reduce accidents on the road is to make cars too expensive to buy.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 336
In reply to #1

10/28/2017 7:20 PM

To make cars safer, they should have a cell phone jammers in the car while the car is running.

Good Answers: 48
In reply to #2

10/28/2017 8:44 PM

An easier solution is to have cell phone towers shut off communications to any phone traveling faster then 3MPH. But the software should really be in the phone to blank the display so you can't write a text or use it while it's moving. If you want a GPS navigator buy one. OK so the argument will be about being a passenger, tough.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #5

10/28/2017 10:28 PM

The GPS I love, but as far as the argument about it being unfair to the passenger needing to use a phone is bs.

anyone recall land lines and answering the phone messages at the end of the day.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155
In reply to #6

10/30/2017 2:04 PM

At first glance, I thought you said, "anyone remember land mines, and answering the phone messages at the end of the day?" Whew - I am glad I never had to answer a land mine.

All this modern crapola just takes all the fun out of driving that I am familiar with.

If you don't know where you are going, why are you going there so fast?

Are you trying to make it to the scene of the accident, just in time?

In reply to #13

11/02/2017 10:56 AM

been busy the last couple of days,... just getting back to reply.

All this modern crapola just takes all the fun out of driving that I am familiar with.

If you don't know where you are going, why are you going there so fast?

I recall in the 90's I would print out maps on mapquest. This is great just using turn by turn directions... but it works best with a 'co-pilot' reading mapquest prints.

But even then it doesn't work good.

I went to the World Wide food show at the McCormick place in Chicago back in '98 or '99 and when we were leaving, I had one of my mechanical designers along giving me directions...

Suddenly, he say's this isn't on the map and as I tried to get on a familiar street thats on mapquest?,... we were driving through a neighborhood,... with guys on the street corner given each other 'special greeting handshakes', cars on blocks with the wheels off with the hood popped with people leaning in looking under the hood. And as we drive past, they would stop what they'er doing and stare you down as you drive past.

My designer was pretty shook up... especially when I told him, "I'm stopping and you go out and ask for directions."

No, I love the GPS.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #22

11/02/2017 11:16 AM

My take on that, if you see you are headed to a bad place, turn off, or turn around, and find another path.

First mistake (IMHO) was being in essentially any part of Chicago that was not the Interstate highway headed out of town. I am just not a Chicago kind of guy, but there are areas in Dallas or Houston, Austin, or San Antonio I would not touch with a ten foot pole.

In reply to #23

11/02/2017 11:20 AM

really now?,... and when you turn off to get back to where your going or were.... you come across a one way street so on and so forth., you must push forward and you just get deeper...

Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Member United States - Member - Army Vet in the aviation industry

Good Answers: 94
In reply to #22

11/02/2017 12:10 PM

I did a lot of trade shows at McCormick Place over the years. We never bothered to get rental cars, we always used cabs. Besides that, the diversity of the cab drivers meant we found a lot of the best authentic ethnic restaurants in town that we might have died trying to find on our own.

But, then there was the time I made a wrong turn and found myself in East LA. That was before GPS.

Hooker

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #25

11/02/2017 12:44 PM

But, then there was the time I made a wrong turn and found myself in East LA. ...

I would have stopped maybe when I crossed the mississip ... or Colorado springs... but it'll probably when I hit the Pacific...

Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Member United States - Member - Army Vet in the aviation industry

In reply to #26

11/02/2017 2:21 PM

I remember we got off the freeway headed east when we meant to go west. I was young and dumb back then. Only in my forties.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #29

11/02/2017 3:01 PM

Only in my forties.

does this resemble your trip?

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #1

10/29/2017 2:29 PM

I don't want to be the driver

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1129

10/28/2017 8:00 PM

Hey, the new Civic cost starts at $18,740 and I'll wager it's a lot better than the '92 model...

Just because there is a lot of gee wiz technology available doesn't mean you have to buy it.....I think if you could have bought a car that has all the features of the new Lincoln back in '92, it would have cost a lot more than $100k it does today...

Heck you need an orientation training course to just drive this thing...

In reply to #3

10/28/2017 8:24 PM

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/lincoln/navigator/2018

Starts at $72k

Some people are just more practical than others....If I can get more for my money that's usually the way I'm going....and as long as my car is good, I'm probably not going to buy a newer one...and never brand new, I'll let the guy before me take that loss....yukyuk

In reply to #4

10/28/2017 10:52 PM

I suspect there are a lot of these high end vehicles that are leased as corporate perks by companies for their executives...That leaves the bargain pricing for those buying off lease...like me...

Like new, half price...

https://www.offleaseonly.com/used-lincoln-navigator.htm

Technical Fields - Project Managers & Project Engineers - New Member

Good Answers: 73
In reply to #4

10/30/2017 4:02 PM

There is a 'Black Label' option starting at $93,705... with a a quick option selection, got it up to $104,585... that hurt just typing it.

In reply to #3

10/31/2017 9:23 PM

"Heck you need an orientation training course to just drive this thing..."

That's the problem with cars today. It's particularly noticeable if you have need to rent a car at an airport or some similar venue.

10/28/2017 11:01 PM

In 2009 I leased a new 2010 Kia Soul for about $180/month. The sticker price was $17000 and change and it had all kinds of bells and whistles. At the end of the 3 year lease I liked the car so much I bought the lease out for about $7k, if I recall correctly. In 2014 I bought a Silverado work truck, V8 w/tow package. The sticker price on that was about $27k and I got about $12k trade-in on the Kia. And I got a no interest loan rather than tying up a bunch of cash.

Deals can be found, but not in top of the line vehicles, for sure.

Hooker

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1588

Re: New Cars

10/29/2017 1:08 PM

Nobody NEEDS A Navagator, just like nobody needed a Hummer.

As my mother so aptly put it, these people have more money than brains.

Here's what some publications say:

10 SUVs Arriving in 2018 - U.S. News Best Cars - US News & World ...

The Best SUVs of 2018 - Gearheads.org

2017 5-Year Cost to Own Awards: Best Full-Size Car - Kelley Blue Book

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #9

10/29/2017 1:48 PM

I agree 100%, these amount to nothing more then a status symbol for shallow people.

In reply to #9

10/30/2017 2:08 PM

My uncle (a dry-land farmer whose wife was a Democrat play maker in New Mexico for years and years), bought a new Lincoln Continental every year.

All he needed to get a crop of wheat or sorghum in was a heavy dew, so goes the quote.

He was a farming genius, and did machine power generators in his spare time. Interesting stuff. Even made his own pole benders for pipe frame hangar-style barns.

Good Answers: 1588
In reply to #14

10/30/2017 4:11 PM

Sounds like my Uncle Russ who grubbed the Mesquite and trash off of six sections around Brownfield and Seminole and grew cotton and wheat. He could fix anything.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #16

10/30/2017 4:27 PM

There were quite a few of those fellows around in the old days. Now if you work on your John Deere, they void the warranty, and will not work on any repairs, but if you bring it in, they can keep you out of a tractor for a long time, and not a word of apology, all for a stupid computer chip. This is what I would call user friendly engineering.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

10/30/2017 12:56 PM

My biggest gripe with high tech cars is their cost to repair them. It seems that the automotive industry is driving those of modest means out of the car market. I fear there will come a time when government will try to destroy the used car market and leave nothing available other than expensive bells and whistles cars with little or no alternative. Japan is one of those countries that requires people to discard their old cars and purchase new cars. I believe the UK is trying to do the same.

Good Answers: 148

10/31/2017 10:28 PM

Not sure if this is the U.S, experience but here in Oz the high tech cars are so techie that the service technicians(no longer called mechanics) employed by the car stealerships cant do much more than plug in an analyzer and hope it can spit out an answer they can deal with.

I'm sticking to my 80 series diesel Landcruiser at least I can fix it.

In reply to #19

11/01/2017 10:33 PM

Reminds me of a situation my brother-in-law encountered a couple of years back while he and my sister were up from FL visiting my mom in NY.

At the time he was driving a leased BMW, and the gauges, idiot lights and warning beeps,bops and buzzes were acting erratically,

They took the car to a local BMW dealer in Brooklyn, who corrected whatever was wrong, and when my brother-in-law went to pick up the car, he realized it would be due for an oil change by the time they returned home, and he asked the dealer/service person to take care of it.

The dealer told him that they had to wait for the car to notify them!

In reply to #19

11/02/2017 9:12 AM

Good on you, mate! We don't normally say this in Texas, but what the heck.

11/02/2017 1:02 PM

It seems to me the automotive industry is more interested in producing more expensive vehicles than less expensive ones. It may be in response to the proposed increase in the economy, promised by the current administration. In other words; "If the government will allow the middle class worker keep more of his hard earned money, we (the automotive industry) want to take more of that money away from the consumer".

In reply to #27

11/02/2017 1:18 PM

Yes, and they are not the only ones that are completely and totally opportunistic.

11/08/2017 12:43 AM

Cars with hi-tech features are really cool but the maintenance cost isn't cheap.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 31 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Casper71 (2); gutmonarch (1); Hooker (3); ignator (1); James Stewart (6); JavaHead (1); lyn (2); phoenix911 (7); Rixter (1); ronseto (2); SolarEagle (3); theodon (1); Tobugrynbak (1)

Previous in Forum: Vehicle Maintenance Horror Stories  

Advertisement