Close
Close
Close
16 comments
Active Contributor

Good Answers: 1

Control Stepper Motor with vhdl

11/01/2017 12:18 PM

Im having a spartan 3E , a stepper motor with 4 wire.... and i wonder that can i directly connect 4 wire of the motor to 4 port of the spartan 3E or it must be connect through A4988 or A3967... ...... Thank you all

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 701

Re: Need help :Control stepper motor with vhdl

11/01/2017 12:25 PM

<...Need help...> It is rarely possible to be concise with a posting that contains only 1 sentence. So, in order to save readers' time, please describe the searches and telephone calls that have been carried out so far in pursuit of this quest?

Please also avoid using undefined terms such as <...we...>; it is not possible for the forum to interpret this.

<...can...> The abilities of the <...we...> cannot be assessed from here, and CR4 is not a permission-giving entity.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
In reply to #1

11/01/2017 12:52 PM

<Edit> Noted that the term <...we...> has been removed from the original post since it was first published, making the significance of the last two paragraphs in #1⇑ of less relevance.

</Edit>

Good Answers: 71
In reply to #1

11/01/2017 12:59 PM

what if this is his first place to search?

Why's the grammar police jumping on "we"...

I assume "we" is in reference to fiends or colleagues

...ferget it.. As Archie Bunker would have said it..

Oh Jeeeze! Really Meathead?

..Well I'd soitently hate to be the new guy who doesn't like jumping through yours and yours friends linguistical hoops. I'd be out da door befores I was in.

Guru

Good Answers: 1129

Re: Control Stepper Motor with vhdl

11/01/2017 12:52 PM

In reply to #3

11/01/2017 12:54 PM

"Seek and ye shall find" - Anonymous Poster #0.

GA

In reply to #4

11/01/2017 1:05 PM

indeed..

That's why I enjoy people posting interesting questions here.

GA

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 774

11/01/2017 1:13 PM

I hate to rain on your enthusiastic parade but this seems to be a lot more complicated a project than you imagine. Maybe the rest of your undefined "we" can help fill in the gaps.

The Xilink Spartan 3E is a Field-Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) of 100,000 to 1,600,000 NOR gates. The output voltage and current levels of this flexible, programmable device are too small to run directly any unloaded stepping motor, let alone whatever additional mechanical loading the motor will move. You will need a motor driver like the two tiny drivers you have cited between the FPGA and motor. The voltage and current requirements for motor driver and FPGA will be very different. Thus power supply design will also be required. There is also the complication that this FPGA is a volatile device. This means that programs are not retained in this when the power goes away. A non-volatile memory and boot processor must initialize this FPGA everytime power is applied.

In reply to #7

11/01/2017 1:47 PM

In reply to #8

11/01/2017 2:21 PM

My humble perspective was thinking the same thing.

. My back burner stepper motor control project in Arduino gave me a good view of the proper programming procedure I need to familiarize myself with. It's by no means a weekend project..

Maybe possible if it's a simple looping command on a single motor.

Not possible for my interests I need to scrape an hour a night for a month or so to really understand the system in a useful way.

I put a few nights into that project around the time Andrew Westman disappeared? Where he go? TCM? He also vanished while I was out.

Is there a railroad leading out of this town?

Right now the project is in the freezer next to others.

...so back to the Topic.

Pretty awesome systems. Where were they when I was 9? Awesome and literally just a few bucks.

Plenty of online tutorials for integration with larger steppers using common parts.

In reply to #9

11/01/2017 3:08 PM

Yeah if I could be a kid again starting with all the technology that's available now, the guidance available online....I seem to be losing the race to keep up, just not enough hours in the day and fuel in the furnace....haha

TCM may have entered winter hibernation by now...Westy?, no clue...

Good Answers: 578

11/01/2017 6:15 PM

Interfacing Spartan 3 FPGA with Stepper Motor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTye3T17MOs

You can't drive a motor directly with logic, but there are simple motor drivers that just need two logic inputs, "step" (3) and "which way" (15).

http://www.atarimagazines.com/computeii/issue3/page18.php

http://www.sfu.ca/phys/430/datasheets/saa1027.pdf

What you use to drive the motor driver depends on what you intend to do with your motor. (I once built an XY-plotter with 2 steppers interfaced to a microprocessor.)

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155
In reply to #11

11/02/2017 2:49 PM

So he does not need an "H" drive to go with this?

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

In reply to #12

11/02/2017 2:57 PM

That all depends on the design of the unidentified stepping motor windings. You'll notice that Rixter's schematic is an 8 lead motor. If the motor in question has 4 leads then an H bridge drive is required.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #13

11/02/2017 3:08 PM

Yes, but OP mentioned 4-wire, so maybe PWM Arduino, or one of the driver boards, and H-drive is needed. One of the issues with Arduino PWM is the lack of ability to drive more than one pulse output at a time, but maybe this is not problematic here, since each pulse needs to follow on the heels of the previous one at a different lead?

I really have not much experience at all with this aspect, so I am merely taking a WAG.

In reply to #14

11/02/2017 3:42 PM

I missed the 4 wire description. So Rixter's schematic will not work. The two Allegro chips the OP cited though have themselves a small H bridge output. A little stepping motor could be directly controlled by one of them.

In reply to #15

11/02/2017 3:50 PM

cool.

I am planning some underwater carbon arc experiments, and will need two discs rotating in a step-wise manner, or at least slowly ( geared sync motors??), and a little roller spacer between them to maintain arc gap.

If my idea works, I should be able to sustain the arc for longer test intervals than without the spacer idea. It may or may not work, without considerable fidgeting with the roller spacer. Maybe this roller can be a cone shaped item, but it also needs to be out of the direct line of the arc. If roller is larger than gap distance, and not on axle line of electrodes, then gap can be made arbitrarily small, I think.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

James Stewart (3); JE in Chicago (3); PWSlack (3); redfred (3); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (3)

Previous in Forum: Car Battery   Next in Forum: Loading Up Power to A Vault

Advertisement