CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Drone Swarming Attack   Next in Forum: The Inside Story of Texas Instruments’ TMS9900 Microprocessor
Close
Close
Close
24 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 230

Anyone Enjoy Euclidean Construction Puzzles?

11/02/2017 10:05 AM

I just came across this game called Euclidea: available on PC, Android and Apple.

It's really great (if you like this sort of thing).

I'm really impressed with the implementation on Android for small screen and inaccurate pointer.

Several of the constructions have more than one solution: a straight forward one, and, one which is much simpler, once you know the trick, but, difficult to discover.

Don't be tempted to look for the answers on YouTube you'll get far more satisfaction discovering them for yourself.

One final thing: some of the problems give you extra points for simply duplicating an answer with for example a mirror image. For example you're asked to construct a 30° angle at a point on a given line: you need to construct the angle above and below the line to get all the points, and this is not obvious from the way the question is given. You need all the points to unlock later games (unless you want to pay).

The 30° angle is also a good example of the "straight forward" and "easier when you know how" questions.

https://www.euclidea.xyz/

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 152

Re: Anyone Enjoy Euclidean Construction Puzzles?

11/02/2017 12:13 PM

I have been fooling with this. Totally addictive for a math geek as myself (with my limited mathematical language ability). Only got as far as the inscribed circle on square. Just as my dad always taught me: "You can't fit a square peg in a round hole".

Good Answers: 1125
In reply to #1

11/02/2017 12:40 PM

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #2

11/02/2017 1:16 PM

ROFLMAO! 'Twas ever thus!

Good Answers: 41
In reply to #2

11/03/2017 11:28 AM

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=123_1190395606

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #4

11/03/2017 2:52 PM

Do you have a live link that works for that one?

In reply to #5

11/03/2017 3:22 PM

Tried it, but it didn't work in preview so I bailed and put in the link.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #4

11/03/2017 3:39 PM

You sure that isn't the Church of Christ, instead of the Mormons?

Now, I am gonna get it for sure.

In reply to #7

11/03/2017 3:45 PM

After making this statement, Slartibartfast was asked, "And are you?"

Slartibartfast's reply was "No."

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #8

11/03/2017 3:53 PM

Was Slartibartfast unhappy, or unright? We still don't know. I suspect both.

I would rather be half-fast and mostly right, than way fast, and totally wrong.

In reply to #9

11/03/2017 3:55 PM

OK, I'd rather be a smart ass than a dumb ass.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #10

11/03/2017 3:58 PM

Is the smart ass, the one out in the pasture eating grass, or the one over eating off the round bale?

In reply to #11

11/03/2017 4:12 PM

In the end, you really can't tell the difference.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #12

11/03/2017 4:22 PM

Either end, either way. It is donkeys all the way down to the turtles.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 87
In reply to #9

11/06/2017 8:20 AM

The exchange went as such:

Slartibartfast: "...I'd rather be happy than right any day."

Arthur: "And are you?"

S: "Am I what?"

A: "Happy?"

S: "No."

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #14

11/06/2017 10:53 AM

Only in the book. In the radio scripts it's:

SLARTIBARTFAST:
Maybe. Who cares? Perhaps I’m old and tired, but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is say “hang the sense of it” and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me, I design coastlines, I got an award for Norway. Where’s the sense in that? None that I’ve been able to make out. I’ve been doing fiords all my life, for a fleeting moment they become fashionable and I get a major award. In this replacement Earth we’re building they’ve given me Africa to do, and of course, I’m doing it will all fjords again, because I happen to like them. And I’m old fashioned enough to think that they give a lovely baroque feel to a continent. And they tell me it’s not equatorial enough… what does it matter? Science has achieved some wonderful things of course, but I’d far rather be happy than right any day!
ARTHUR:
And are you?
SLARTIBARTFAST:
No. That’s where it all falls down of course.
ARTHUR:
Pity, it sounded like quite a good lifestyle otherwise.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
In reply to #15

11/06/2017 11:14 AM

Ah, yeah, it's hard to keep track of how the conversations go down in the various media. Every version is different, in some parts only slightly, in others quite wildly.

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #16

11/06/2017 12:03 PM

Revisionist history is a problem, even when it's the original guy writing all the revisions. We need some truth in history.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #17

11/06/2017 1:26 PM

What is truth? (You had to know that question was coming)...

In reply to #18

11/06/2017 1:56 PM

I suppose truth is what tastes better than real truth and without the bitter aftertaste.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #19

11/06/2017 2:02 PM

Why? Truth is as it comes. Straight from the bottle, whether pure water, or Bourbon, these are true to their identity.

I am asking a more general question: What is truth? Johnny Cash sang about it, the Bible tells of it...what are the other sources we can point to and say, "this is truth"?

In reply to #20

11/07/2017 8:58 AM

What is Truth? First you have to ask "Who's Truth?"

The Romans wrote of the invading Germanic Tribes sacking their northern borders mercilessly during the era that turned out to be the Fall of the Empire. The Germanic tribes, however, saw themselves as refugees, not invaders, seeking shelter and space to live as they were fleeing the conquest of the Germanic lands by the Hun Horde invading from the east.

What we know is often incomplete, and it's likely that we only hear one side of a story(1), so when a source of information claims to be unalterable, untestable, unfalsifiable, Truth, there should be immediate suspicion. All that is knowable can be measured, in some way, to varying degrees of accuracy. If a thing can be measured, it can be tested, and only those things than can be tested and proven not to be false should be accepted as Facts.

Science deals in Facts, the concept of Truth, being a thing that is considered right even though there is no means to measure or test it to see if it is false, is better left to the poets and philosophers.

Notes:

1. We seldom hear the story of the Herbalist who lives by herself in the woods, minding her own business until a pair of bratty kids show up, vandalize her house, subvert her attempts to get some chores out of them in compensation for the damage they caused, and finally shove the poor woman into her own oven and roast her alive. And this woman's only crime was being knowledgeable about local flora and having a desire to teach these children some responsibility for their actions through a quickly-devised 'scared straight' program.
Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #21

11/07/2017 9:48 AM

I suspect that with a mind set such as that, I should not ask you "What is Truth?".

Pontius Pilate asked a similar question to Jesus Christ, as you may or may not recall.

Even you will have to give way to the voice of youth, crying, "What is Truth?"

It is appointed, just as is the end of my days, and your days.

In reply to #22

11/07/2017 1:11 PM

And as you may remember, When the crowd called for Barabbus to be freed, Pilate said, "Are you guys sure? The guy you're picking is a liar, a murderer, and a thief. This other one has only been going around saying "let's all be nice to each other," and making civic leaders look like idiots, but neither of those are actually crimes (especially if those 'civic leaders' really ARE the idiots I know them to be). Are you guys REALLY sure you want Brarabbus back and not this Jesus guy? ... Fine, you get Barabbus back in your community, so what do you want me to do with this guy? ... Cruci-WHAT!?!?! Is this a Roman court or a lynch mob? Fine, fine! You people will get what you want, but I'm washing my hands of this whole sordid affair."

After that, who could blame him for saying, "What does 'truth' mean any more when people won't even listen to simple facts, and the mass media tries and convicts people even before they get their day in court? Is it even possible to tell truth from lies, fact from fiction, in these mad times?"

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #23

11/07/2017 1:28 PM

Pilate was essentially locked in by events, and even this fulfilled words from a prophet.

The thing that matters now: what will you and I do with this Jesus of Nazareth?

I would prefer to be in that church, with the true believers.

By the way, kudos to the local man that sought out the assailant last Sunday, ran to the danger, and stopped the attack when he did. That man is a hero in my book.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

adreasler (4); James Stewart (11); Jpfalt (8); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: Drone Swarming Attack   Next in Forum: The Inside Story of Texas Instruments’ TMS9900 Microprocessor

Advertisement