CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: The Inside Story of Texas Instruments’ TMS9900 Microprocessor   Next in Forum: Hoop Stress and Axial Stress
Close
Close
Close
24 comments

How to Choose the University

11/02/2017 4:27 PM

Hi guys.

I'm new in the forum, and I joined it hoping that someone could give me some advice about university.

Can I make some questione and explain my situation ?

Hi from Italy, I hope that people in the forum will understand my English.

I'm here because i'm interested in computer engineering, but I don't know if this is what I will gonna chose.

Thanks for the help.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 1127

Re: How to choose the University

11/02/2017 6:55 PM

Forse tu puoi trovare qualcosa qui, ma trovo un consigliere universitario locale che avrebbe familiarità con ciò che è disponibile localmente. Qual è la tua ubicazione?

Spero che tu possa capire il mio italiano.

http://www.mastersportal.eu/study-options/268681240/computer-science-it-italy.html

http://www.isfitaly.org/guidansecollege-counseling/

Good Answers: 1588
In reply to #1

11/02/2017 8:21 PM

Rules for Participating on CR4, Engineering360, and Electronics360

CR4 is an English-speaking community. As such, all content must be posted in the English language so that it is accessible to this audience and can be reviewed properly.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru

Good Answers: 1127
In reply to #2

11/02/2017 9:23 PM

"Maybe you can find something here, but I (would) find a local university counselor who would be familiar with what is available locally. What is your location?

I hope you can understand my Italian."

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 152
In reply to #2

11/03/2017 10:13 AM

I thought what he was saying was clear as mud.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #1

11/03/2017 10:12 AM

Nice. Finally someone who speaks in the mother dialect (of Italians).

Now if we could just get that in Irish?

Solar Eagle is basically saying, just in with both feet, and learn everything you can, and if that subject does not stimulate you enough, change degree plans.

In reply to #1

11/03/2017 2:37 PM

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 336
In reply to #1

11/03/2017 5:41 PM

Great extra effort.

Good Answers: 1588

11/02/2017 10:35 PM
Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 700

11/03/2017 4:13 AM

Base the decision on feelings. That's all there is to it.

"A decision that is 80% right is better than no decision at all" - Anonymous Poster #0

In reply to #5

11/03/2017 10:15 AM

I agree with that statement - you can always correct course if you find that you need to adjust to something else.

80% of something good is far better than 0% of something perfect.

Re: How to Choose the University

11/03/2017 2:41 PM

Generally speaking, I study at "Liceo Scientifico" that is a high school of Humanities, we study math, physics, chemistry, biology, philosophy, history, art, italian and english literature, and students are supposed to be good at everything.

The main problem is that I don't know what I like to study most, because I always studied everything and, I like almost everything.
I appreciate philosophy, history, art, and literature because they gave me the possibility to interpretate how the society and the world work.
I like this subjects because by studying them I can understand so many thing about society and understand why something is happening or happened.

At the same time I really enjoy math, physics and chemistry because this subjects describe nature in a so precise and meticulous way that is unique.
I can understand how nature is, how it works, which are the materials that compose it.

Anyway, in the last period I start to be interested to have some doubt about studying a theoretical subject and not a technical one, I started to think that in my life, one day, I would like to create something that works, and that is innovative.
So, very soon, I was impressed by what is a start-up, being amazed but what people like Musk or Page did, and i started to get information also by people that made his own little business after finishing the university.

So, if in the first period I was interested in studying subjects like physics, or math, doing research, I realized that I can use my mind to study engineering, and having the possibility to take part in projects or maybe, having my own company.

When I start to get information about engineering I realized that the field of engineering that I'm more interested in, is computer engineering, even if I'm not 100%.

My main problem is that we don't study at high school computer science, we don't learned about how to code, and honest to be, I don't like if I will like it.
I do some work on my own, little thing, I started to study HTML, but this doesn't resolves my doubts about what to study.
I went also some days to the computer engineers course at one university, hoping that I will see something that will help me to make the choice, but it didn't happened, since was only the first lesson, and teachers didn't make important lessons.

Besides this, there is another issue, where to study?
I always study very well at school, and I found in the activity of studying a satisfaction.
I always want to know everything, cause I'm always curious about almost everything, probably the only subjects that I won't like to study is law.
What I want to say is that I want to choose a good university, not only for the preparation that can gives to me, but also for the importance that this one has upon the society.
Unfortunately, even if italian universities are very cheap, and I don't have to pay taxes for the low income of my parents, it is still expensive, especially cities like Florence ( the most expensive), Milan and Rome, because I have to pay for the food, services and for the rent.

I forgot to say that in Italy we have big problem with the research, because researchers has very low salary or doesn't have it at all, and it's those ones who have a salary, live in a temporary situation, it's always a shot time contract.
In the best case they have something like 800 euros, that and for Italy are very few money, because life is expensive, and to survive a person need at least 1000 euros.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #10

11/03/2017 3:05 PM

Make a go of engineering, because it can lead you into a much wider world, and it seems you may be the reincarnation of Leonardo.

In reply to #11

11/03/2017 5:34 PM

That's all?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #12

11/06/2017 8:53 AM

You want a letter of recommendation? Just get in there and go to work, boy.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

11/03/2017 5:52 PM

Those decisions are typical for a lot of young students first going off to colleges.

I started college later in life (25) so I had an idea what I wanted.

but what I saw, the 18-20 year old would start with one major, and with interaction with other students as well as college life, would change majors by their second year.

now like all first year students, the first year courses are general courses... basic math and sciences as well as liberal arts.

but then it becomes more focused and the more specialized courses are required for your degree.

now,... going in as a I'm not sure what they call it now, but as a undesignated or undeclepared student ( pbasically not knowing what you want for a degree) and then deciding later. But you need to decide, soon after, (if not before) your first year is up, or you'll be taking more classes and extended you 4-5 year program an extra year.

It used to be you could get your degree in 4 years, but I've seen people take 5 years to do it.

If you selected an university, talk to the department counselor and arrange for tours If you haven't selected a university, talk to the administrtion and also arrange for tours.

In reply to #14

11/03/2017 6:13 PM

HI

I know very well that the first yeas is based on general courses, and this could be also a problem because maybe I won't understand in my first year if I want to continue with that university.

Honestly I don't know what means "take more classes" and "extend year program", in italy we don't have to opportunity to personalize our courses.

I don't know what " tours " are.

We have " open days" where some teachers speak a few minutes about the course of the university.

Probably in my future, I would like to go and study outside Italy, because this country lacks of international rules.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #15

11/03/2017 9:07 PM

Sometimes not... that's not an issue. Theirs a saying that may apply here and that is "Every journey starts with a first step"

In reply to #16

11/04/2017 5:20 AM

This means that I should start university even if I'm not sure I like the course degree I chose?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 104
In reply to #17

11/04/2017 7:09 AM

Exactly. Pick a university that is like you. Pick a university that has many programs going in many different directions. You need strong math and science to get started in most any technical field. You also tend to need to learn fundamentals before you can make wise choices about things that are not fundamental. Go where you can learn fundamentals and be exposed to a lot of things that are not fundamental. That puts you in a position to take advantage of the opportunities (or educational paths) around you.

Planning what you want sometimes works out but often it does not. Planning to be ready and nearby when unknown opportunities arise tends to work out better.

Never underestimate the value of hanging out with the geeky kids in the dorm room at the end of the hall. Always have a need once or twice a month to visit the professor during office hours. Talk to and ask questions of that person beside you on the bus or plane. Your future is all around you. You just have to plan to be there (and there and over there too) when your future has an opportunity to happen.

In reply to #18

11/04/2017 11:01 AM

In the first year of university there are only generic subject like math, physics, not engineering subject.

The main issue is that there is the risk that after the first year I won't know if that course is for me.
Unfortunately I didn't study to a technical school, so I really don't know if I like technical subjects, plus I have never studied computer science, because we don't learn how to code at school.

i tried to code on my own in HTML, but is not that simple to understand if it is for me.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #17

11/04/2017 8:11 AM

That's correct, you may have an idea, but you are still on the outside looking in.

It's until your 'immerse', only then you will full realize what is involved. The other thing that will happen, you will be introduced to people, course/classes that you may enjoy more where you realize what you'll want.

rarely happens is that you dont find what you want. It can happen, but only if you didn't do some research beforehand.

In reply to #19

11/04/2017 11:04 AM

It is true that engineers are more appreciated then scientists ?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #21

11/06/2017 8:57 AM

You could transfer or apply to Texas Tech Engineering School - Electrical Engineering (one of the top programs in the United States), after you complete your baccalaureate degree. There is always room for one more here.

Lubbock, Texas is different from Italy, so you will gain something (or be bored our of your skin) in light of local climate. We have plenty of good wineries here, and good food.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 750

11/04/2017 3:54 PM

For overall engineering, mechanical engineering is still probably the widest applicable starting point. From there you can branch into what become your greatest interests.

Since you are also thinking of computer science, you should seek a university that has good programs and reputation in both engineering and computer science. Study the university course catalog for more detail.

During the period of basic academic and general engineering studies, consider some elective courses in computer science (or other areas, too.) This will give an idea fairly early about which area(s) best fit your interests and abilities.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

BruceFlorida (1); Grands (7); James Stewart (6); lyn (2); phoenix911 (4); PWSlack (1); SolarEagle (2); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: The Inside Story of Texas Instruments’ TMS9900 Microprocessor   Next in Forum: Hoop Stress and Axial Stress

Advertisement